“Good hotel for the price”

Washington Jefferson Hotel
Ranked #275 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Enjoyed my stay here. The staff were friendly and the room was compact but had all I needed and was clean. The Location was excellent - walking distance to Times Square . Near the subway and the "Hells Kitchen" area with plenty of restaurants. Free wi fi was a bonus and a great diner (Cosmic) nearby. Would stay there again. The only downside was the air conditioning unit which was noisy.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Just a perfect place to stay if your buget is enough for 3 stars hotel.
The hotel is located in the quiet part of 51W street but only few blocks away from Time square and subway stations to almost every part of Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens.
There are many restaurants and cute NY style bars nearby. We enjoy very much the "The house of brews".
The stuff is very nice and helpfull.
The deluxe room is really big for NY hotels (queen size bad, 2 nightstands, desk and pretty big closet.The bathroom is big enough also. I checked the standart room and it's much smaller but still ok for NY too (a bathroom's size is quite similar in standart and deluxe rooms).
The A/C was a little bit noisy but did the job perfectly.
The cleanliness can be better, but still 4 by Tripadvisor's scoring system.
I will defenetly come back to WJH on my next trip to NY.

Room Tip: 1. I suggest to take a room on a high floors (3th or higher of 6) 2. Try to ask for a face an inter...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I just got back from NYC and stayed at the Washington Jefferson for the first time. The location and price were the main reason I booked. You can't beat being just a couple blocks off Times Square and conveniently located near the subway.

I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room - honestly, it's NYC so EVERY hotel room is going to be small (and I think it's funny when reviewers complain about it....that's the fact of life in NYC). Better, the room was clean. And, we were in a room that faced an internal service courtyard so it was surprisingly quiet for being in the city.

The front desk staff was super helpful and friendly! The air conditioning unit worked well (it was super hot and humid while we were there).

There were only 2 things that were at all negative - 1) the bed was rock hard. But after a day of running around NYC in the heat, it really didn't matter a whole lot. 2) Our room didn't have cold water in the sink. To fill our water bottles, we had to walk to the other side of the hotel to the fitness center.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a reasonably price, clean hotel with a great location!

The only

Room Tip: I loved having a room on the first floor facing that courtyard. It was quiet and maybe even a littl...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Let’s start with the good.
It is in a great location near Times Square and the Theater District.
The front desk staff was very pleasant and helpful.
Our smoke detector was beeping. After being reported to the front desk it was replaced within 5 minutes.
Check out time is noon, which gave us some extra time. They did hold out luggage when we checked in which was nice also.
That is were the good ends.
Our room (101) was located right next to the elevator which has a door leading to it. All night long it slammed closed.
The room was so small even by NYC standards 9 feet by 10 feet is very small.
The shower stall doors felt like they were going to come off. The shower itself could have been cleaner.
There was a window A/C that was so loud, maybe it did cut down on some of the hallway noise.
The view outside of our window was looking into the neighbor’s bathroom, across the alley.
When returning to the hotel at night we were greeted by a group of teenagers sitting on the outside steps smoking.
The room was $229.00 per night (USD). Would not stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RImom65
wjhotel, Director of Sales at Washington Jefferson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Dear RLMOM65,

Thank you very much for your review, and for your stay at the WJ Hotel.

We are happy to hear that your found our staff to be pleasant ,helpful, and also that you considered our location to be very convenient central.

We do offer a number of different room categories, from the Petite to Deluxe and Junior Suites, fitting different budgets, and needs.

To upgrade to a different room category, for a small upgrade fee, or just to see another room, we encourage our guests to contact our front desk associates, given the availability, we are always happy to assist with a room upgrade or change.

We hope to see you again soon, hopefully the second time around we will meet your expectations. Thank you again for your post.

Please stay in touch with us via our website and Facebook for best rates and customer service experience.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

After staying at the W-J in January 2012 on a business trip, I happily returned in January 2013 for a second visit. Big mistake! It was pretty basic, no frills, on my first trip, so I thought I knew what to expect, but now the management seems to be really cutting corners. My room was the cheapest option, a single bed, great value for the location, clean and satisfactory. My big complaint was that the fitness center was not operational-- some of the old equipment had been removed, and the remaining pieces had "out of order" signs on them. Basically, it didn't exist, and in January, I needed a place to exercise. This was a motivating factor in my choice of that hotel. On my first day, I inquired about the timing of the repairs to the cardio equipment, and the desk clerk told me it would happen later that day. That night, no change, and I was informed that the repairman was coming the next day to inspect. First desk clerk lied! Of course, upon further inquiry, they admitted that it would be at least a week before anything was fixed-- not helpful to me, even though I was staying for 5 nights! My complaints prompted the manager to offer to get me a pass to a nearby gym, which they delivered later to my room. This was several blocks away, and given the snow, I was not thrilled. Also, I read the fine print, and the "pass" was actually a "one week free trial" offer printed from the internet, which stipulated that the user show proof of NYC residency. I don't have that! Would this other gym have let me in at all? If so, would I have had to go through a sign-in process, give credit card info, etc.? It all seemed way too complicated, and it was insulting that the W-J staff thought that this was a solution to their busted facilities. There are other comparably priced hotels in Hell's Kitchen, and the W-J needs to keep up.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Vonschwind,

Thank you for your stay, and also for sharing with us your experience at the WJ Hotel.

We are really sorry not meeting your expectations, and we would like to apologize for your fitness center experience.

We realize how important it is to get a daily dose of exercise, especially on a business trip, and we share your frustration. The past January, indeed, our cardio machine was out of order.

To make it operational again we hired an outside vendor, and unfortunately, a quick fix turned in to a week-long wait for a part.

Now, our complimentary fitness center , with the cardio equipment, and the rest of our machines , is 100% operational, to be enjoyed by our guests.

Again, we are very sorry for not meeting your expectations, and we hope for yet another chance to welcome you the WJ Hotel.

Please stay in touch with us via our website, and Facebook, for best rates and customer service experience. We hope to see you again soon, in the near future.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed there with a friend for a week during end of march.
we got a very clean room and a big bed which was roomy enough for the both of us.
the shower was clean and tidy every day with new towels and hot water.
the cosirege was lovely and helpful.
we had such a good time there that we didn't want to leave.

the location was fabulous and just a step away from times square, central park and 5th ave.

would book the same hotel again on my next visit.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a window not infront of the street, its very quiet and you cant hear traffic.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed at this hotel in September 2009. The rooms were small but I believe this is standard in NY. The rooms were clean. The biggest problem we had was that the staff were really rude and unaccommodating. Our room was not the same as we had reserved and they basically said take it or leave it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends