“THE WORST!!!!”

Ranked #267 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Tel Aviv, Israel
“THE WORST!!!!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We made a reservation online a few days prior to arriving at the hotel for a Deluxe room. Upon arriving, we were told that there is no deluxe room available and we can only get a regular room. The room we got was facing a construction site. Going back to the reception, we were told that maybe!!! at 3pm there would be a regular room availble facing the other side.
Needless to say we got the hell out of there...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Roee L
wjhotel, Director of Sales at Washington Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear JanSouthAfrica ,

We are really sorry to hear about your experience at the WJ related to bedding choices in our standard rooms.

Reading your comments we understand, and sympathize with your frustrations.
We sincerely apologize if you were under the impression that two beds were guaranteed.
Room description for our Standard Room, as listed with Expedia, clearly states, “Guestroom offers 1 queen or 1 double or 2 twin platform beds …..Please note that the 2 twin bed option is subject to availability.”

On occasion, there is miscommunication when reservations are not booked directly with the Hotel.

Please let me assure you that there is no " upgrade" trick of any sorts involved, we simply have a very limited availability of standard rooms with 2 twin beds.
The next option would be a Deluxe room with 2 twin beds which was unavailable at the time of your arrival.

We try to please all of our guests, sometimes we fail, it’s even more frustrating when the fault is, honestly, not ours.

I’m really sorry for your experience at the WJ, and we hope that you will give us another chance to meet your expectations in the future.
Also, we are making sure that all of our OTA agents are aware of the bedding choices in our standard room category , so miscommunication like you experienced could be avoided in the future.

Thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed at the Washington Jefferson (for the first time) for an extended Labor Day weekend (Thursday through Monday). Though I was unfamiliar with the area, it turned out to be quite convenient to everything I was planning on doing. The staff were very courteous and friendly, and were gracious about answering my frequent questions on directions.

The main problem I had, however, was that the room I had faced the street. Apparently trash is emptied 24 hours a day in NYC - or so it sounded! VERY noisy street, and I was unable to sleep due to that and due to the wood blinds in the window, which did not block out the light. The window air conditioner worked fine, and didn't blow directly onto me so I was OK with it. So my advice would be to request a room not facing the street.

I had a single room, with a very comfortable bed and nice bathroom. Very clean.

I will certainly consider the Washington Jefferson for another trip to NYC.

Room Tip: Rooms facing 51st are extremely noisy, so try to avoid them!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SusanKLosAngeles
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I booked this with a pre-paid sale price off the website, so it was absurdly inexpensive for a midtown NY hotel that isn't a total dump. Of course the room was small - tiny actually. I had the Petite room, which is a single bed and barely enough room for my suitcase and shoes in addition. The bathroom was also comically small, I couldn't actually close the door behind me unless I was fully into the shower stall and the door didn't have enough room to fully open without hitting the bed. But, again, it's NY and it was a great great price. Very clean, free WiFi with a good signal and fairly decent water pressure. Surprisingly quiet, too, though in the morning, I could hear every door on my floor slamming shut behind guests leaving and housekeeping going in and out. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. I'd certainly go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
St. Neots, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights at the end of September, for a quick free work trip to the city. My work colleague and I shared a deluxe twin room (to keep the cost down). The room was quite small, but OK, with two beds, enough space for two suitcases, a little desk, TV on the wall, a wardrobe with a safe and was clean and modern. The bathroom was a decent size and really rather nice.
The location was fantastic, only a few blocks from Times Square, Central Park and Hells Kitchen. The staff were all very polite and helpful. There was some noice from outside, but hey, it is the middle of New York and therefore to be expected, but not enough to worry about. The hotel itself was very quiet and we hardly heard any other guests.
Only little thing, our room had no air con, so might get hot in the summer.
All in all, no real complaints and we had a great trip. Great value for the middle of New York, for a nice room with a private bathroom, compared to some shared bathroom more expensive hotels that we looked at, before booking here.
Note - If you want a nice breakfast, avoid Stardust, unless you like a sugary cheesy breakfast with waiting staff singing showtunes and neon lights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DA2003
wjhotel, Director of Sales at Washington Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Hi DA2003,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the WJ on TripAdvisor.
We’re really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the WJ , thank you for sharing your experiences with us, we really appreciate it.
We couldn’t agree more, the location is perfect ,and the fact that we’re located on the 51st Street, and not on an Avenue, helps keeping the noise level to a minimum.

As for the air-conditioning in the room.
All of our rooms have individual air-conditioning units installed in the windows.
We remove them for the winter months, and perhaps for that reason your room did not have one. It takes just a couple of minutes to install them back ,should a guest need one .

Please stay in touch with us via our website and Facebook, for best rates and customer service experience.We hope to see you again soon, in the near future.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My best freind and I stayed here for 5 nights in June and loved it! The location was perfect, close to everything but not noisy at night at all. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were on the small side but furnished lovely with nice modern bathroom. I would definatly stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sarah G
Hi Sarah ,

Thank you very much for your vote of confidence Sarah, you’ve made our day.
We’re really grateful for the kind words about the WJ and its staff.
At the WJ we always treat our guests as they were our friends, I hope that was your experience.

Please stay in touch with us via our website and Facebook for best rates and customer service experience.We hope to see you again soon.
Portland, Maine
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I stayed a Wednesday through Sunday in late September. The room price was reasonable, and the room had been renovated recently with a modern bathroom with cut limestone tiles on floor and walls. Great hot water, almost immediately in the shower. Bed was comfortable, nice window view out to 51st street. Staff at front desk were knowledgeable, polite, friendly; everything one could want in a hotel staff. The hotel size is great; small and personable. The location is probably the best in the city. Three blocks to Times Square; a subway station half a block away (C and E lines); half a block to Hells Kitchen with its diverse mix of restaurants, bars, and shops. I was able to jog to Central Park in 5 minutes. I will stay here again. One caution - the rooms on 51st street are going to be louder than the side and rear facing rooms.

Room Tip: The rooms facing 51st street are going to be louder than side or rear rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Chris D
wjhotel, Director of Sales at Washington Jefferson Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Chris D,
Thank you for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor .
We are very happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay at the Washington Jefferson Hotel, and that you found our location to be so convenient.
We agree, the location is probably the best in the city, within walking distance to countless attractions, theaters, and businesses.
Please stay in touch with us via our website, and by following us on social media, for best rates, special offers ,and customer service experience.
We hope to see you again soon, in the near future.
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My 2 daughters and I stayed this weekend. Couldnt have asked for a better location walking distance to Times Square and Theater district. We used hop on hop off bus for sight seeing that was only a couple blocks away. Deli on the corner great for coffee and sandwiches. The staff was great from the minute we walked in the door . The front desk and doormen could not have been friendlier. They have boarding pass printing access at front desk and free internet. The only negative was the mattress was very , very firm. The bedding was clean and comfortable. I would recomend this hotel and would stay here again myself next trip to New York!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ann s
Dear Ann S,
Thank you very much for your review .
We’re delighted to hear that you found our staff to be so helpful, the room clean and comfortable ,and the location to be convenient.
Indeed, the touch screen airline terminal ,where our guests can check in, and print out their boarding passes, as well as free high speed wireless internet access, are two services that are very popular with our guests.
Again, thank you very much for staying at the WJ Hotel, we really appreciate your business.
We hope to see you again soon.