“Wonderful Rooms, Beautiful decoration”
Review of Ameritania Hotel

Ameritania Hotel
Ranked #126 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Croydon, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Rooms, Beautiful decoration”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Wonderful hotel, excellent location so close to times square.
Lovely decor and very friendly staff who told us about a lovely steak house and even booked us a table at last minute!
Would definitely stay here again, absolutely love NYC !

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Renaldo M, Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear, missScully1
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay at Ameritania Hotel. We’re so happy to have been able to make your New York experience even more wonderful and we look forward to welcoming you back again. Please let us know if we can assist you with your next booking and any requests you may have. See you next time!

Most sincerely,
Renaldo Moore & Ameritania Staff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (613)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Franfort
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed for a business conference, staff was very helpful and professional. Responded to all requests and went out of their way to arrange baggage checks and return car to the airport. The rooms are NYC small but uptown decor. The location is great. Crystal and Julian were upbeat and helpful. Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2014
Dear Karen C,

Thank you so much for posting a review of your stay with us. I am sorry for the long delay in responding to you!

We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the Ameritania and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Queens, NY
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband surprised me with a night here for my 30th bday and it was wonderful. Knowing it was my birthday, the hotel left 2 drink tickets and cupcakes in our room. At the bar, they played happy birthday on the sound system for me! Room was super cozy and comfy. It was small, but we only stayed one night. Took time to figure out how to work lights and heat, but we are dumb. Highly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Amandalovesal,

We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the Ameritania and are honored to have been a part of your birthday celebration! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was brilliant was near time square handy to walk till everything but one thing It was very noise I could hear people on the street at night time but over all very nice hotel would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
Judson_Trapnell, Director of Rooms at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2014
Dear Aimee M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! I appreciate your opinion and hope you return once again in the near future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The location is perfect, right between Central Park and Times Square. Rooms small but perfect considering reasonable rate. Continental breakfast more than adequate (though styrofoam bowls!). Modern, shower great! A better deal is not to be got in Manhattan. Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Renaldo M, Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear efkl ,
Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful feedback. Our team is happy to know we made you feel right at home. We appreciate your recommendation to others and hope to welcome you back again soon!

All the best
Renaldo Moore & Ameritania staff
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Came for a conference and was told this is where the rest of the conference attendees would be staying. First room had HVAC unit that make loud obnoxious noises preventing me from falling asleep... Turned unit off and room temperature became hotter than the desert! Switched rooms at 1am to THE SAME PROBLEM!! Didn't sleep and was told issue would be corrected before the end of the day... LIE! Room was 83 degrees... Disgusting!!! Only positive was Tony at the front door and the engineer George who found me a fan and continually apologized for my inconvenience. Front staff were rude, unhelpful and lacked sympathy. Never coming back ever...EVER! Oh... Not paying either.

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Stephanie C
Dear Stephanie C
Thank you very much for taking time to let us know about your stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies if things were not to your liking. Customer satisfaction is our number one priority and your feedback is taken very seriously. we would like to make it right and would like to discuss this situation further. I plead you give us another chance and would like for you to contact me at rmoore@amsterdamhospitality.com in order to rectify this issue. I can also be reached anytime at our main number (212) 247-5000. We value your business and wish to have you stay with us in the near future. I look forward to having a second chance to show you how much we value you as a guest.
Kindest regards,
Toronto
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My husband and I just got back from our annual trip to NYC (we go every year for our anniversary). We usually stay at The Hampton Inn which is right around the corner from the Ameritania, but we decided to try something different this year as we were impressed with the renovations pictured here on Tripadvisor's traveller photos.

Before we arrived, my husband requested a quiet corner room because we wanted something private for our anniversary. We did get a corner room, but it was a corner room by the elevator and the windows had absolutely no soundproofing or insulation. We ignored the noise as much as possible, but the draft coming from the windows was ridiculous. I am surprised that they wouldn't consider fixing the windows when doing a renovation. We checked the windows several times to see if it had been left open accidentally, but everything was closed and just felt like an open window! On a positive note, it was so cold that we didn't need a fridge, but just placed our food and drink by the window to keep it cold.

I am also very particular with cleanliness, so before we settled in, I did a sweep of the room to make sure everything was clean. For the most part, the room was clean except for a few hairs found on our pillows, a hair on the wall in the bathroom and dusty lamps. I bring my own pillow cases when trying out a new hotel, so no big deal for me, but again, was a little disappointed to see that.

We were also a little disappointed that when we arrived there wasn't even so much as a note wishing us a happy anniversary. Usually any other hotel we stay in for a special occasion, they will surprise us with a bottle or a cake or something. This isn't a deal breaker by any means, but it would have been a nice touch.

Now some good points about the hotel:

I wish I could remember her name, but one of the girls from the front desk staff was particularly friendly when we checked in and was helpful with suggestions and helped us to print some e-tickets. She was much friendlier than the other girl who works at the front desk who doesn't give so much as a smile and looks pretty miserable all the time (the friendlier girl wasn't working on Sunday when we checked out if that helps).

The friendly girl at the front desk even offered us free wifi (normally a $10/day surcharge) because we were staying for more than a couple of days. Thankfully the wifi was free, because the reception was terribly slow and constantly disconnecting so I would not pay for the $10 surcharge and just go to a Starbucks or other hotspot instead.

The location of the hotel is ideal for tourists because it is centrally located and close to all subway lines. If you are looking for more of an authentic or neighbourhood feel, I think you would be happier staying somewhere in lower manhattan, but for tourist attractions, it's great (5-10 minute walk to times square, central park, Hell's Kitchen, right around the corner is David Letterman, Radio City and all Broadway shows). You can also get your cupcake fix at Crumbs bakery which is also right around the corner.

We enjoyed the modern decor. The bar also looked nice, but we didn't take advantage of it or the breakfast. When you're in New York City, you don't want to hang out in your hotel all of the time. Rather, you just need a comfortable place to rest your head after a long day/night out on the town.

The beds were very comfy, but it would have been nice if they had different types of pillows for different sleepers (I was happy, but my husband prefers a flatter pillow and had a hard time getting comfy).

The hotel is also affordable by New York standards which is why you have to take the few imperfections with a grain of salt. Overall the hotel is very nice and updated, if they just fix a few imperfections I would consider staying again, but I think for my next trip I will go back to The Hampton Inn or try something new in lower Manhattan.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear suzzie117,
What a great review! Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback for fellow travelers to read. Please let us know if we can assist our Number 1 Fan with any future reservations. We’d be delighted to welcome you back to The Ameritania Hotel.