“Book it..” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #139 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Book it..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

(10th floor vouch only - room 1005 - memorial day weekend)

We had a great stay at Ameritania from check in to check out.. online rates were best in the area for a hotel of this standard.)trust me I checked)....check in went very smoothly and we got a corner room overlooking Broadway and 54th. The lobby is welcoming and staff friendly.

The rooms are New York cozy and excellent for 2 who wants to get cozy...very nice bath with rain shower, comfy bed/;pillows, flat screen. The closet is very small so I just hung my clothes and stash my carryon behind the curtains. The room is very nicely decorated very chic...

The only thing to be aware is that you are in time square New York and you will have street/partier goer noise (even with the windows closed - the AC cut back on it)..(i.e. the city that never sleeps) ....but for me it added to the experience.

The hotel is close to EVERYTHING - (Restaurants, all subway lines, Time Square, Central Park, Broadway etc..)

This is my hotel of choice now for NYC now...highly recommended.

Room Tip: 1005.corner room..loved it!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Erin B, Front Office Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Lawrence M,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Ameritania Hotel with your fellow travelers. Your wonderful compliments of our décor, location and customer service are very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back next time!

Erin Becker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (579)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Magherafelt, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

Myself and 3 friends stayed for 5 nights in this hotel, i found it a very nice hotel and the staff were very friendly, courteous and helpful.In particular many thanks to Mourad and Javier for all their help and "the craic" Javier the cocktails were great !! Would definately recommend this hotel as it is so central to everything in NYC and a good base, Times Square, Central Park and alot of other places all within five minutes walking distance. The rooms were adequate to our needs and the beds were so comfy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank 625Marjon
Dear 625Marjon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Ameritania Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay, and that our staff delivered top-notch service to you. Mourad certainly appreciates your feedback and Javier is ready to whip up a drink for your return! I am happy to inform you that they both have been acknowledged for their performance based on your review. We look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Best regards,
Laredo, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

I just returned from traveling to NYC with six teenagers on a school trip. We stayed at the Ameritania for five nights and six days, and, I must say, it was such a pleasant experience. The rooms were modern and sleek and the beds were so comfortable. The rooms were roomy (considering NYC standards) and clean, but mostly, I have to mention the staff - they were wonderful! From the front desk personnel to the doormen - amazing service. Traveling with teens can be stressful, but getting back to such pleasant staff and comfortable rooms after long, busy days was surely welcoming. Of course, the location is absolutely ideal. I will definitely go back with family.

Dear CindyLMorales,

Thank you for your review of your experience here at the Ameritania Hotel. I appreciate your great compliments towards our entire team, and will absolutely share your comments with everyone. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future, and appreciate your ongoing support of the Ameritania Hotel.

Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights at this hotel in May and we loved it. We had a king room and the bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in!! The front desk staff and the front door men were terrific. Great location...walking distance to Times Square and Central Park. Great restaurants in the neighbourhood. We will come back here. We bumped into Kunal Nayyar aka Raj from the Big Bang Theory just outside the Hotel!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CanadaJeff,

I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay, and that our staff delivered top-notch service to you with a great Martini. With such a great location and a neighbor like Letterman, celebrity run-ins are almost inevitable! We are glad you got to experience such a great New York moment! I will share your comments with our staff, and we sincerely hope you will return to the Ameritania for your next trip to New York City.

Most sincerely,
Waterville Valley, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

I ended up at the Ameritania entirely by accident, having booked a room at a "sister property", the Bentley, across town. When I arrived at the Bentley (late and tired after a long day of work and travel), I ended up shuffling my feet in reception for 10 minutes while they decided they didn't have my prepaid and confirmed room after all. They put me in a cab and 15 lurching minutes later, I was in Times Square and checking into the Ameritania. They were expecting me and treated me like a welcome guest, not a leftover from another hotel. Score.

I was quickly settled in my "classic boutique" room on the 10th floor, and a very pleasant room it was. The creative decor would be familiar to anyone who's ever stayed in a Kimpton hotel... Wild geometric carpet, lots of textures and buttons, but a neat, spare aesthetic in spite of the flourishes. My room was equipped with two double beds, platform jobs with custom mattresses and snow white coverlets. The bed, as it turns out, was seriously comfortable and cocoon like. Score.

The bathroom was small but similarly stylish, with a rainwater shower head and a seemingly impractical no-door enclosure (that worked better than expected). All in all, a very nice room package.

What's not to love? Well, as many others have noted, even ten floors up, it's noisy. Like, if the air conditioner cycles off (and it does, a lot) you're confronted with stark street noise. In my room, the window seemed to be mishung, which made the sound leakage even worse. If you're like me, you'll wake up a lot in spite of the cozy bed.

Would I stay here deliberately? Yes, if the rate was right, I probably would. Nice property, just far enough out of Times Square to escape the tourist trap, er, trap, and a bed to remember.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs, if you can stand them.
Dear DrewKnightWV,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience here at the Ameritania Hotel. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your impromptu stay with us, and that our staff gave you a warm welcome. I will share your comments with our staff, and we sincerely hope you will return to the Ameritania for your next trip to New York City.

Kind regards,
Corby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

Absolutely loved this hotel! Yes it was noisy but what do you expect in New York! House keeping were fantastic. Reception were great and the doormen were amazing! They helped with anything we needed. They went above and beyond to make our stay a pleasant one. The room was great, very clean and spacious considering what we were expecting. Would definitely recommend this hotel. It was central to everything. 2 mins walk one way to central park and 2 mins the other way to times square. Was home for 2 hours and started planning my next stay at this hotel!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Holly F,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at the Ameritania Hotel. It is our pleasure to make sure our guests know that we will go above and beyond to meet their expectations. Your review has been acknowledged by all departments and we look forward to accommodating you during your next visit to NYC!

All the best,
Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

I stayed at the Ameritania for one night for work on May 16. The location is great and the service was friendly (albeit not that efficient). But my room just was not clean. When I stay in a hotel, I don't need fancy, just clean. When I checked in on the 16th I bent down by the desk to plug in my laptop and there was hair all over the rug behind the desk chair. There were stains on one of the duvets in the room, stains on the rug, water stains on the nightstand and the room just did not smell right. The bathroom was cleaner than the main room (thank goodness) but I felt uncomfortable for the small amount of time I was in the room. Also, the bed was really way too soft and for me, it was not comfortable. I also think, given the number of hotels in NYC that offer free wi-fi, that the hotel charging for the service is just crazy. This hotel unfortunately was not chosen by me, but by a colleague because so much of NYC was sold out. Unless you absolutely have to stay here, I would look elsewhere. Too many better options out there.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Brandie_in_Boston
Erin B, Front Office Manager at Ameritania Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Brandie_in_Boston,
Thank you for your feedback. I am so sorry to hear that your experience with us was less then what we had hoped for. I understand WIFI has a big impact for our guests experience therefore I am in discussion of the potential possibility of complimentary WIFI. We are constantly supervising our teams work and moving forward we are performing more random inspections by a Senior Manager. Thank you for your review, as it helps us improve our current performance.
I would like the opportunity to further discuss the details of your stay and if you have the opportunity to further discuss your concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.
Best regards,