“Excellent Place to Stay - Few Minor Quibbles” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel
Ranked #57 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Santa Monica, CA
“Excellent Place to Stay - Few Minor Quibbles”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2006

Let's start with the bad. Got an early check in and when we first got to the room it had just been cleaned and the smell was overwhelming of chlorine (in some ways this could be good). Also, the shower drained slowly and the heater in the room would sometimes get very loud because the cover to the controls would vibrate aginst the heater. These are the things that would keep it from being a five star review.

Now the good: This is a beautiful little jewel of a boutique hotel across from Grand Central Station. I asked for early check-in and was orginially booked in smoking but got a non-smoking room and checked in at Noon with no problem.

The room, while small to normal standards, is actually decent sized for New York. The bathroom is beautiful and clean (hence the chlorine). The bed is beautiful and comfortable. The TV is an LCD flatpanel which is great since the picutre is clear and it doesn't waste valuable space. There was a robe in the bathroom which delighted my wife. Did not use the safe but I did see it in the closet.

I was able to get a free WiFi signal in my room but it was intermittant. However, I found the free WiFi signal was very strong in the bar courtyard. Otherwise there is a $12.95 WiFi charge for 24 hours.

I loved the ambiance of the bar courtyard. We had a large group in the courtyard on a busy Friday evening having drinks before heading to Times Square for a show and we found the service to be very good with both the waitress and the manager constantly checking on us for service.

On Saturday, the place was dead and we had dinner there (for three) where they did add the 18% gratuity for the bill. I have no problem with this and I suspect this is done because some European visitors may not be used to the normal tipping customs in the US. The food was Irish themed and fine if you're into that.

I would definitely stay there again (of course, I'd like to get a good rate) and getting to Times Square for Broadway shows was very easy.

• Liked — Very cozy, great location
  • Disliked — Room heater could get noisy - the cover would vibrate against the heater
  • Tips/Secrets — Friend booked a higher rate several weeks in advance - got a much lower rate booking less than a week ahead of time
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
7 Thank paperson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Finnish first
Isle of Man
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2006

We stayed here for my Husbands birthday and it was everything you could ask for and more.
The room was lovely the bed has to bed the comfiest bed we have ever slept in and the staff couldn't do enough for you.
We would highly reccommend this hotel and we will definately be staying there next time we visit.

Stayed October 2006
Cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2006

It was like I had stepped into the finest hotels in Dublin. I was just in New York and upon walking into the lobby I was transported to Ireland in the wink of an eye. Everything was as if you were in Ireland from the cuisine in the restaurant to the short hallways on the sleeping floors. And the rooms were extremely comfortable, the bed was soft and cuddly and the whole atmosphere was enjoyable and relaxing. The staff was most cordial and professional and the hint of a Roscommon accent made the trip more appeasing to my senses.

Stayed October 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2006

I needed a hotel near Grand Central to take a train for a meeting the next morning. After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I booked the hotel on their website.

Since I have traveled to NY a lot in the past, I have stayed at many hotels that I like such as the Sofitel, Blakely, etc but their prices were way too high. Booked on their website and got a rate for a Queen bed room for $219 + tax. The room was small, as most NY hotel rooms are, but beautifully decorated, very clean and with nice amenities such as terry robe, keyboard linked to TV., coffee maker. When I called for a wake up call the next morning, they called me by name, something I expect from more upscale hotels, not one at this price. Smallish lobby but, again, charming in the European manner.

From my experience, there was nothing negative---staff was warm and welcoming, I would absolutely stay here again----and hope they don't raise their rates!

• Liked — Convenience to Grand Central, etc and cleanliness and attractiveness of accomodation for price.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2006

This was my first trip to NY. A friend and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. It was an excellent hotel and very central. The staff were very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. We stayed in a king bedroom and the bed was huge and the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. Which was ideal after a day shopping or sightseeing. I am extremely fussy when staying in hotels and would highly recommend this one without a doubt and will definately be returning.

• Liked — High standard
  • Disliked — couldn't fault it.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank loulabelle179
Kildare, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2006

Fitzpatrick Grand Central is a true gem in the centre of Midtown, located just a 1 minute walk from Grand Central Station and just about 15 minutes on the subway from anywhere in Manhattan. Located just off Lexington Ave and 10-15 minutes walking distance from Empire State Building, Times Square, Fifth Avenue shopping, Rockefeller Center, Lincoln Center, Broadway, Central Park, United Nations, Maceys, Bloomingdales etc etc., the peace and quietness of this hotel is unbelievable, you would think you were on the west coast of Ireland - miles from nowhere!!.
From the moment we arrived early to check-in until we left 6 days later on the hotel arranged shuttle bus to JFK airport, all of the staff we encountered could not have been more helpful. We stayed in the luxury of the Jim Sheridan suite for 5 wonderful nights of comfort in one of the most comfortable hotel beds we have slept in. We cannot wait to return there again and have recommended the Fitzpatrick Grand Central to all our friends as 'a must stay in' while in New York.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank IrelandGuest
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2006

We were more than happy after a 8 night stay at this wonderful hotel in central Manhattan. It has the location to hop on several subway lines and is in walking distance to Central Park, 5th Ave. Hudson River and much more. We even could see the across the block located Chrysler Bldg. from our bath room window. The staff s very helpful and friendly. The room was spacious and gave city views. Bed and furniture were as new. We loved the place and will definately come back. Compared to the Waldorf Astoria (where we stayed for 5 days the year before) it feels due to the friendly staff and the nicely decorated rooms as equal.

• Liked — Clean rooms
  • Disliked — no complimentary WiFi
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple