Let's start with the bad. Got an early check in and when we first got to the room it had just been cleaned and the smell was overwhelming of chlorine (in some ways this could be good). Also, the shower drained slowly and the heater in the room would sometimes get very loud because the cover to the controls would vibrate aginst the heater. These are the things that would keep it from being a five star review.
Now the good: This is a beautiful little jewel of a boutique hotel across from Grand Central Station. I asked for early check-in and was orginially booked in smoking but got a non-smoking room and checked in at Noon with no problem.
The room, while small to normal standards, is actually decent sized for New York. The bathroom is beautiful and clean (hence the chlorine). The bed is beautiful and comfortable. The TV is an LCD flatpanel which is great since the picutre is clear and it doesn't waste valuable space. There was a robe in the bathroom which delighted my wife. Did not use the safe but I did see it in the closet.
I was able to get a free WiFi signal in my room but it was intermittant. However, I found the free WiFi signal was very strong in the bar courtyard. Otherwise there is a $12.95 WiFi charge for 24 hours.
I loved the ambiance of the bar courtyard. We had a large group in the courtyard on a busy Friday evening having drinks before heading to Times Square for a show and we found the service to be very good with both the waitress and the manager constantly checking on us for service.
On Saturday, the place was dead and we had dinner there (for three) where they did add the 18% gratuity for the bill. I have no problem with this and I suspect this is done because some European visitors may not be used to the normal tipping customs in the US. The food was Irish themed and fine if you're into that.
I would definitely stay there again (of course, I'd like to get a good rate) and getting to Times Square for Broadway shows was very easy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel provides warm Irish hospitality in an elegant atmosphere. Situated on East 44th Street directly opposite Grand Central Terminal and close to Times Square, our location puts you in the middle of almost everything New York City has to offer. Our highly personalized service and very comfortable rooms and suites offer a great option for your next business trip, weekend getaway or family vacation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Fitzpatrick Grand Central
- Fitzpatrick Hotel New York