“Quiet stay in a busy area”

Ranked #52 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Ledgewood, New Jersey
“Quiet stay in a busy area”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I stayed here one night for business & found it to be very clean & comfortable. Although it's near Grand Central Station, it's on a street that is not very busy or well traveled so it was very quiet for a city hotel. The rooms are updated in this old hotel & are well appointed with amenities. Friendly & fast service.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor although because it's not on a busy street, it was quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Dear SopkoLeciecclan,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Finnish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 14, 2014

I stayed here for three nights in mid-April. After a late check in, having asked for a room on an upper floor overlooking the street, I found myself with a view of a brick wall. They were able to meet my request the following day, and I was more than happy. My room on the eighth floor at the front of the building was large, immaculate and beautifully decorated. Bedding, towels and toiletries were of the highest quality. I was offered complimentary breakfasts after a minor inconvenience with my key and found them good, though the food I was given differed from one day to the next. I had one meal in the pub which was very good. I also found a wonderful Indian restaurant nearby, thanks to the concierge. The hotel is well located in Midtown East within walking distance of the Theatre District, and the airport shuttle pick-up is only 3 short blocks away on 41st. All members of staff I came into contact with were cheerful and helpful. My only criticism was the lack of free wifi in the guest rooms which I think by now should be standard in a good hotel, though it was available in their very comfortable lobby.

Room Tip: Front of the building for better outlook, back of the building if concerned about noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Dear scoutsilver,

Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed May 14, 2014

We had an early flight and arrived at the hotel far in advance of check-in time. A very gracious Lucia at the front desk provided an outstanding first impression by checking our bags then promising to call us as soon as our room was ready. Less than 45 minutes later she made good on that promise and we were settled in our room much sooner than anticipated.

The location of the hotel is fantastic with its close proximity to Grand Central, shopping and restaurants. Our king room, while of standard size for NYC, was extremely comfortable and the ability to actually control the temperature in the room (including ice cold for sleeping) was appreciated. The bathroom was of a decent size and the window helped make it seem larger than it was. Everything was perfectly clean.

There is no on-site fitness center at the Fitzpatrick--which for us is a plus since we were given free passes every day to use a enormous New York Sports Club location just a few blocks away. This arrangement is usually preferable over the inadequate fitness facilities most properties have. Instead of trying and failing, the Fitzpatrick does it right.

Great location, very comfortable rooms and an extremely friendly staff made for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear jaxandmci,

I appreciate your kind comments about Lucia and that she able to exceed your expectations.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central for 3 nights this week and loved it! The hotel is in a great location - close to Grand Central Station for easy access to the Subway and within walking distance of many great shops, restaurants and landmarks. The room was clean and comfortable. The only downside was the shower which was hard to keep at a constant temperature, but this was really a minor thing. All the staff were super friendly and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear meira01,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I like this hotel's location on Lexington Avenue and really close to Grand Central Station. The welcome is always friendly and the lobby is small and intimate.
Rooms are very comfortable and well appointed. Some are small, as is the case in NY a lot of the time, but this time I was lucky and received a more spacious room. The corridors and elevators are small which can be challenging with suitcases.
There is a good pub but no gym, however you can ask for a pass to a nearby excellent gym.
I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear heb999,

Various, UK.
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Had a great 5 day stay, great location just 2 minutes from Grand Central so very accessible to Times Square, Central Park etc by foot.
Reception and concierge were friendly and helpful.
Room itself was very clean and had iron, ironing board, safe, coffee pod machine. There is no fridge, we had requested a fridge in advance as my husband needed to store medication in a fridge. It was not there on arrival to the room but after a call back to reception, within 10 minutes a fridge was delivered.
Room was cleaned twice a day and bottled water and chocolates left, housekeeping staff very pleasant and professional.
The Wheeltapper pub was very popular with locals and on one night was so packed we couldn't eat so ordered room service which was quick and professional and cleared from outside the room promptly. I would recommend the pub for lunch or evening meal and for having a drink but the breakfast, whilst adequate, is a little overpriced for what it was.
The towels are of high quality, as were the toiletries which were replaced daily.
If I am honest the bed was not as comfortable as it could be and mattress probably needs replacing, there is a tendency to roll you in to the middle!
Despite that, we had a very enjoyable stay and would highly recommend to return to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear BecSutb,

I see you had the opportunity to experience the Wheeltapper pub, on your next visit I hope you have the opportunity to spend some time on our patio.

Litchfield, Connecticut
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Just returned from a wonderful weekend celebrating our 45th wedding anniversary. From start to finish everything about the Fitzpatrick was A-1. We booked the Romance package and it was such fun to enjoy champagne and strawberries on arrival .Location across from Grand Central is convenient to everything and we walked to everywhere... .so it was taxi free! All the staff were welcoming and helpful. Room was immaculate as was the bathroom. We chuckled at the name of our room( Phil Coulter) we love him and really laughed at the autographed picture on the desk...nice touch:)
The room was on the inside so we didn't have street noise and was nice and dark which allowed us to sleep in until 8:30 ish...bed was super comfy!.It did overlook the patio and there was happy chatter until midnight.it didn't disturb us but it might bother some
Breakfast ( the full Irish) was included and it was nice to just go down to Wheeltapper and not have to go out before starting out for the day.although we didn't use it use of a sport club facility is included
Can't say enough about FGC. We will definitely return

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FXD
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear FXD,

Congratulations on you 45th wedding anniversary.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location to be excellent. We are well situated, close to Grand Central station and the major sightseeing and shopping locations.

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hote