“Where do I start but WOW!”

Ranked #54 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Where do I start but WOW!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

We landed on Monday 17th February and immediately wished we were back at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central. This hotel is by far one of the best we've stayed in. what can I say everything was 110% staff, rooms, cleanliness, perfect location there isn't anything I can find to be unhappy about :-)

We were celebrating both of our birthdays and received champagne and chocolates in our room which started our break off with a high.

Food was fantastic especially breakfast and the atmosphere in the adjoining bar was great. The turndown service was great especially the chocolates. We had a wonderful king size bed that you just sunk into on the 9th floor. Our room faced the front of the hotel but caused us no problems with noise.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough and can't wait to go back.

Thanks again Fitzpatrick Grand Central you made our stay in New York truly fabulous :-)

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Dear Sam H,

Belated Happy Birthday thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central.

I am very happy to read that you chose to spend you "double" birthday with us and found it to be flawless.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Finnish first
dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights on our honeymoon and wow wow wow. On arrival we got a huge suite champagne and strawberries which was a lovely touch but even without it our stay would have been just as fab.beautiful hotel . lovely staff, excellent location.wheeltapper pub next door is cosy and traditional, food is great just a little bit pricey. Would definitely stay here again!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear annmarie00,

Congratulations on your recent wedding and thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Our Fitzpatrick experience began before we arrived at the hotel. The Newark Airport Shuttle bus dropped us off 3 blocks away from the hotel on East 41st street for $16 dollars each. Upon arrival at the hotel we were 2 hours early before our check in time but that wasn't even mentioned by the staff. We were given our room which was located on the 7th floor. Our first impression of the room was that it was beautifully decorated and immaculately clean. The mattress on the bed was so comfortable, so much so that we lost our first evening catching up on sleep. The hotel was ideally located within walking distance of the Empire State Building, Times Square and Central park. It is also located only 2 minutes away from Grand central Station which was a huge help when travelling outside of midtown manhattan. The staff were extremely helpful especially the concierge was like our own private tour guide. When reception heard that we had recently got engaged they sent us up a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolate strawberries which was a pleasant surprise. My only fault with the hotel is the breakfast was a little overpriced for the quality of what we received, however we found a lovely cafe located on East 42nd Street across from grand central station which made up for this. All in all our experience was amazing and we will have no hesitations booking this hotel again.

Dear FabianDunne,

Congratulations on your recent enganement and thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central.

Danbury, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

My wife and have stayed here 3 times on visits to NYC in the last year, and we thoroughly enjoyed it each time. The location is great, whether you are coming into NYC through Grand Central, or just want to be near there for the subway connections. The staff are pleasant, friendly, and helpful and the rooms are nice. The prices is very reasonable for an NYC hotel. Most definitely we will continue to stay here when we overnight in NYC.

Dear 25Paul,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central numerous times over the past year. We certainly appreciate your bsuiness.

I am very happy to read that you continue to enjoy your stays with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

My wife and were able to find a last minute deal on a King Bed Deluxe Room for a great deal. We enjoyed everything about the hotel, from the staff to the classic interior to the attached irish pub. Even our room and bathroom were pretty large compared to NYC standards. It's certainly not a chic hotel but it was certainly of quality and I will check on their rates again next time I want to visit NYC.

My only Con in this review is they did not have a staff member outside to help flag down a cab. For a hotel that prides itself on being "classic", this seems like it should be a basic service for a hotel like this.

A fun side note: since this is an Irish hotel company just about everyone staying there was from Ireland it seemed. I personally enjoyed hearing all the accents.

Dear Always_1A,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Well, what can I say, apart from this hotel is a tad on the small side. The hotel only has 9 floors so don't expect high rooms with great views. This also hinders the amount of light being let into the rooms making them very dark throughout the day.
Please don't get me wrong though I am a big fan of this hotel and stay in it every time I visit New York. The service is always AMAZING, the reception staff make this hotel!! You are welcomed when you arrive and always told to have a good day when you leave.
Complimentary hot chocolate in the winter, lemon water in summer.
The lifts take quite a long time during busy periods and rooms ending in 05 tend to hear them.
The rooms themselves are extremely cosy and I can't put in to words how nice the beds are. Best I have slept in in the states!
The hotel is in a great location, close to grand central so anywhere is easy to get to!
So, if you want a cosy, friendly, well located hotel that could almost be a boutique, head to the Fitz!

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing the street as it will be the lightest, allow a bit more time for the lift...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Always_1A,

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

Let me say my review for this place is tainted by the fact that my employer paid for my night and I got a nice upgrade.

I think the corporate rate we paid was about $199 a night, before taxes, which is well below the rates posted on their website.

I had to stay over because of a snow storm. But this place was wonderful. Clean, nice, quiet and a really relaxing place.

The bar/restaurant is almost like a mini-museum for railbuffs! There are some excellent artifacts from the history of Ireland's railroads. I've never been to Ireland but this hotel totally makes me want to visit.

Thoroughly recommend the Fitzpatrick. I've stayed at the Lexington Avenue location as well between 56th and 57th and enjoyed it as much.

If you're visiting New York you can book this hotel with absolute confidence and the location is perfect, right next to Grand Central.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room away from the street! While it's on a sidestreet between Lexington an...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business