“Good stay in NYC”

Ranked #52 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Dublin
“Good stay in NYC”
Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Fitzpatrick's Grand Central on Friday last. Myself and my wife were arriving separately and were on route to up state NY the following day. I had included in the booking that my wife was going to check in first and had also sent an email to confirm this. My wife had some challenge checking in despite my advance communications.

Staff were friendly when I checked in and when we went to check out Lucia on reception was very helpful and dealt very professionally with our check in concerns.

Would return to this hotel again and have stayed at the other Fitzpatrick's in NYC in the past.

Great room and location, lots of bars and restaurants nearby, not to mention the shops!

• Stayed October 2013
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear DublinDarren,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused to your wife on arrival and am glad to see that Lucia was able to rectify the issue.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Finnish first
Northern Ireland
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 2 nights. Spacious rooms,comfortable bed, friendly staff&very clean :-) The hotel is very close to Grand Central Train Station.
Very pleased with our hotel choice given there are so many to choose from.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear pat_rice2,

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Went to visit my college freshman attending NYU and specifically chose this hotel because of the very positive reviews I found on TripAdvisor. People . . . I trusted you! . . . what were you thinking? My experience was so disappointing. Here's what went wrong:
Small room . . . OK, to be expected in New York. But stuffy, and the only temperature control in the room that worked consistently was opening and closing the window.And, unlike one of the TripAdvisor reviews -- no window in the bathroom.
Comedy of errors: (but not really funny) on Sunday morning took a shower (bad shower head) and washed my hair. Now I needed to dry it, and realized that the on/off switch for the blow dryer was non-functional . . . and actually quite dangerous (it worked if it was plugged in, but you couldn't turn it off without pulling out the plug from the socket). Called for a replacement. And 20 minutes later called AGAIN to be told they were "on their way." So a 30 minute wait for a working blow dryer . . .disappointing. But when I started using it, the smoke alarm in the small room began screaming. Three times. So we called for the engineer. He showed up and disabled the alarm, so I also asked him to fix the AC . . . and he kind of hugged the wall unit to make it turn on. And told me that in order to turn it off, I would have to call him.
Yes, they did offer to move my room, an offer that I accepted. And yes, the next room was somewhat bigger. But the TV had a really annoying buzz.
Checkout at 6:30 a.m. on Monday morning and . . . something was wrong. I tried to pay for the small $12.00 charge that I had incurred in the bar with my Amex. They couldn't get it to work. Kept referring to the MasterCard that I had booked the room under (I don't have a MasterCard). Also suggested that I had booked through Expedia or Orbitz . . . I am pretty sure I booked directly on the hotel's site. And delayed me a good 10 minutes as I was trying to leave for the airport. I still don't know how all of that got resolved . . . didn't think it was worth it to miss my plane.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Terri S
Dear Terri S,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your feedback on your stay.

I am truly dissapointed to read of your issues and do apologize for the inconvenience caused. I have addressed the issues your room and departure process so that they will not be repeated.

Once again, I do apologize for the service and issues you encountered and ask that you contact me at pleyden@fitzpatrickhotels.com if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

A nice, reliable hotel. There were hints of Irish charm throughout the hotel which was welcome! Room was spacious for New York. Great cafe two doors down which is very nice for breakfast, Macchiato Cafe.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear LJC_1980,

NJ
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Spacious clean room, nice bathroom with full size hair dryer and robes. I like that all of the bathrooms have windows in them i the shower area. The bathrooms are a nice size. The room was very quiet. I did not hear anyone on any other floor. Beds comfortable. My only issue was a minor one and that was the air conditioner/heater.. it kept shutting on and off and everytime it kicked off, it woke me up, so that made me not sleep well. So not sure what was going on with that. But i couldnt seem to keep the fan blowing constantly... The front desk staff is extremely polite. Location is great too, not next to the craziness of times square but within walking distance. its near grand central so there are many stores and restaurants in there.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from elevator, ice machine, etc.. the typical things you ask for when looking for...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bavavia
Dear Bavavia,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central with my fiance from England. At 11 the first evening I got a call and learned my finance was a bit away walking back to the hotel in the wrong direction. I went downstairs and asked Gregg for help on how to direct my finance back to the hotel. Gregg gave me directions and recognizing how stressed I was, he went outside and hailed a cab. I explained my money was upstairs and Gregg gave me $20. I said I would pay him when we got back, but Gregg indicated he would be gone by then. Who does that these days??? Amazing. I found my finace, got him back to the hotel and the next nite looked for Gregg so I can introduce my finance to the New Yorker that helped this girl from Chgo and this gentleman from England. Thank you Gregg. You really are special.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristine S
Dear Kristine S,

Gregg will be very happy to read your comments and I am glad to see that he was able to help you in your time of need.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 5 nights in August. Lovely hotel, friendly staff. The menu in the hotel bar, The Wheeltapper, is nice, but expensive. Thought that, seeing as it is an Irish hotel, there would be complimentary WiFi - this is not so. WiFi can be obtained by paying a fee per device per 24 hours. This is the only criticism that I would have, otherwise all A1!!! The rooms are quite large. Complimentary bathrobes and an umbrella are provided in the rooms. Complimentary bottles of water, and mints on some days too!! Hotel is set in an excellent location too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends