“Small, central and classy.”

Ranked #52 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Portchester, Fareham United Kingdom
“Small, central and classy.”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We wanted a central hotel for our first visit to New York and fitzpatrick's couldn't have been more central. The hotel has only five floors of rooms, but is very comfortable and quiet. The staff were very helpful, that includes hotel, the Wheeltappers pub attached to the hotel. There is a nice courtyard at the rear which is a little oasis in the big city. We noticed that BA flight crews use the hotel, nice to know they could get a good night's sleep before flying Brits home.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear marylynn52,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to read that you were able to enjoy our outdoor patio and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Finnish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Let me begin by saying that as I have become older I have definitely become a grumpy old woman.  I am much harder to please which, makes the following note all the more interesting, in my opinion
My friend and I went to New York June/July 2013 for 7 days. Without too much detail we found on arrival the room booked appeared to assume we were a couple. Long story short, we were moved. How fortuitous this turned out to be
We were placed at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central. We were warmly welcomed.  The girl who checked us in was understanding of our situation and took the time to call us in the room to check we were happy.  We certainly were

What a lovely hotel
The room was very good indeed.  It was peaceful and had great air conditioning.  Much needed with the temperature at 80+

The staff were amazing.  One of the ladies set up a lobby only Wifi access as we had lost access to free Wifi when we were moved and we had inadequate funds to pay for theirs

This hotel is in a really great location.  Just a 5 minute walk to Grand Central Station and around 20 minutes walk from Times Square

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and if I go back to New York I will look at staying there before

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Lorraine W,

I am very happy to read that we able to make your stay in New York a memorable and ejoyable experience.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed in March, weather was sunny but cold. Room was not heated. The hotel in my opinion is overrated and is showing signs of needing some attention, ie grubby in parts, worn carpet etc. Staff were friendly, but a bit slow on check out and same on bag retrieval. Wi-Fi is not free. Would not return, got better type room and deals in “lower” class hotels on trip. It was a one night stay and that was more than enough.....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed at this hotel from the 19th to the 26th of june . The hotel is in a great location for grand central station and central park . There is one thing that made this hotel . A girl called tash who works in reception was exellent . Anything we needed to know or problems with finding places,she was there. Me and my gf were upgraded to the jim sheridan suite which was awesome which had champagne and strawberries waiting for us.....

• Stayed June 2013
Dear ritchiewestlake,

I appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service and am sure that Taj will ber excited to hear about your feedback.

Leixlip, Ireland
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed 6 nights in Fitzpatrick's Grand Central in late June last year. The location was perfect, I purchased the New York Pass in advance of my visit (Which I'd recommend to anyone planning on visiting the popular sights). The hotel was within walking distance from all the popular attractions. What can I say about the staff, well I don't think you would find kinder, more welcoming staff anywhere else in New York. They really gave the Cead Mile Failte you'd expect from an Irish Hotel. The staff would always greet you in the morning and then again upon your return in the evening. We only ate in the hotel once, we had breakfast after our first nights stay. It was delicious if I was to fault it I'd say it was a little pricey but they did have proper tea so I wasn't that bothered by the price. The room was big and had air conditioning which was a godsend in the mid 40 degree heat! The room was also serviced twice daily and stocked with bottled water and chocolate which was a lovely touch. The evening before check out the manager offered us the use of his computer to check in online and to print our boarding passes. To top it all off the concierge spent a good 30 mins trying to flag down a taxi to the airport. All in all I can't recommend the hotel enough, will defiantly stay on my next visit!

Room Tip: Room in the centre of the hotel, i.e. approve the entrance canopy as you get two windows!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CosBeag,

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and and that you appreciated our Irish welcome.

Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We were on one of the upper floors (theres only 9) room was a very quite,average sized room.
Decent bathroom ,although if your not too tall the bathtowels are stored at head height,same goes for room safe.The cleaners did a great job and also a special thanks to John and Patrick who were working nights on the front desk,and were super helpful.We didn't eat in the restaurant ,just had cocktails etc on the patio and found all the barstaff to be a good crew.One tip,i was warned not to make international calls but had to,about 8 minutes(don't know exactly as bill not itemised) cost me $90 odd dollars,,,ouch.Hotel in great location ,a side entrance to Grand central stn is on lex and 44th just a 30 second walk from hotel .We found some Taxis had trouble finding hotel as the Grand central station sits across 44th st ,so they have to drive around the stn if coming from west 44th.One other gripe was the lack of a bellhop on the door,which was a problem when we and others were in and out with luggage,shopping etc

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dexter555
Dear Dexter 555,

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the cleanliness of the hotel and the service your received from John and Patrick.

Dublin
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed in Fitzpatricks Grand Central on the last leg of our honeymoon and of the three hotels in the US that we stayed in this was the most disappointing for many reasons. In the other hotels the fact we were on honeymoon was acknowledged and the staff made efforts to make our stay extra special. Unfortunately not only was our honeymoon not acknowledged, the hospitality at check in left a lot to be desired. We found the front office lady who checked us in, and who also happened to check us out (whose name I will withhold), to be very blunt and unfriendly. We weren't welcomed to the hotel and bar being informed of our room number and "the lifts are over there", no further information about the hotel or surrounding areas was offered. I would go as far as to say that our first point of contact in Fitzpatricks was the least hospitable encounter during our three week stay in the US.

We were given room 605 and while we understand rooms in New York are smaller then your typical hotel room, we found the room to be extremely small and not practical or comfortable for a five night stay. There was very little closet space so we were forced to live out of our suitcases, which there was little space for. The air conditioning units were old and quite loud. Furthermore we noticed the linen had a number of holes and stains on it on one of the days and whilst we were confident it was clean, this is not the standard we would expect for the price we were paying.

This was also the first hotel we stayed in our honeymoon where there was no free WiFi and we found this to be a bit miserly.

Whilst our experience with one of the front office staff was disappointing we would have to commend some of the other staff particularly all of the concierge and some of the bar staff.

On the plus side the location is perfect and in walking distance of a number of NY's top attractions. There were also a number of bars and restaurants in close proximity to the hotel.

Overall Fitzpatricks did not live up to its promise of "personalised service, luxurious accommodation and Irish welcome" and it was a disappointing end to our honeymoon given the high standards in the other hotels we stayed in in the US

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JohnMah
Dear JohnMah,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am dissappointed to hear that we did not recognise, or inquire if you were with us to celebrate a special occassion. I have addressed the issue with our front office team to ensure it is not repeated. I do appreciate you taking the time to compliment the concierge and bar staff.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and I ask that you contact me directly at Pleyden@fitzpatrickhotels.com if I can be of any assistance in the future.