“Didn't meet expectations”

Ranked #48 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed in Fitzpatricks Grand Central on the last leg of our honeymoon and of the three hotels in the US that we stayed in this was the most disappointing for many reasons. In the other hotels the fact we were on honeymoon was acknowledged and the staff made efforts to make our stay extra special. Unfortunately not only was our honeymoon not acknowledged, the hospitality at check in left a lot to be desired. We found the front office lady who checked us in, and who also happened to check us out (whose name I will withhold), to be very blunt and unfriendly. We weren't welcomed to the hotel and bar being informed of our room number and "the lifts are over there", no further information about the hotel or surrounding areas was offered. I would go as far as to say that our first point of contact in Fitzpatricks was the least hospitable encounter during our three week stay in the US.

We were given room 605 and while we understand rooms in New York are smaller then your typical hotel room, we found the room to be extremely small and not practical or comfortable for a five night stay. There was very little closet space so we were forced to live out of our suitcases, which there was little space for. The air conditioning units were old and quite loud. Furthermore we noticed the linen had a number of holes and stains on it on one of the days and whilst we were confident it was clean, this is not the standard we would expect for the price we were paying.

This was also the first hotel we stayed in our honeymoon where there was no free WiFi and we found this to be a bit miserly.

Whilst our experience with one of the front office staff was disappointing we would have to commend some of the other staff particularly all of the concierge and some of the bar staff.

On the plus side the location is perfect and in walking distance of a number of NY's top attractions. There were also a number of bars and restaurants in close proximity to the hotel.

Overall Fitzpatricks did not live up to its promise of "personalised service, luxurious accommodation and Irish welcome" and it was a disappointing end to our honeymoon given the high standards in the other hotels we stayed in in the US

2  Thank JohnMah
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Dear JohnMah,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am dissappointed to hear that we did not recognise, or inquire if you were with us to celebrate a special occassion. I have addressed the issue with our front office team to ensure it is not repeated. I do appreciate you taking the time to compliment the concierge and bar staff.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and I ask that you contact me directly at Pleyden@fitzpatrickhotels.com if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Location was perfect. Right next to Grand Central Station - very easy to get around, no wi-fi in rooms and it was very expensive to get Internet. Would stay there again but having no Internet was inconvenient.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jessica S,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central for 5 nights at the beginning of June and the whole trip was a complete surprise and I had booked everything including the trips and the hotel on my own and kept it a secret, part of me felt anxious as I wanted everything to be perfect and was worrying in case I had booked the wrong hotel or location...well I can certainly say I didn't do that, we arrived at the Fitzpatrick on Saturday 8th June 2013 and were greeted by very friendly helpful staff and instantly felt the New York buzz. Checking in was hassle free and a cold drink awaited us when we arrived. We had a really nice room, they were clean, the bed was very comfortable and a nice size. The room had everything you possibly needed including iron, ironing board, kettle, television, toiletries, slippers, dressing gown, a safe, good lighting, everyday it was cleaned and the bed was made immaculately with fresh bedding and clean towels, bottled waters and chocolates were put in the room everyday and they also offered a turn down service every evening if you wished. What the hotel did which was extra special was because we were celebrating something special during our stay after returning back to the hotel on the first night there was a bottle of bubbly and strawberries coated in chocolate with a little note to wish my partner a very happy birthday and a wonderful stay. Basically the rooms we so clean and everything you could possibly want. Location was perfect we were in an ideal part of New York, just round the corner from Grand Central Station in Midtown, basically so close to Rockefeller, 5th Avenue and 10 minute walk from Times Square and its just the best area of New York to stay in as its a really nice street. There is a really nice pub connected to the Fitzpatrick called The Wheeltapper and its has a lovely seating area out the back where you can relax and have a drink and its really popular with the locals and does get busy as there were a few times we tried to get a seat outside and we couldn't. The staff and the concierges are extremely helpful with everything and they even helped us book our helicopter trip which was a great help and was so easy. Forgot to add we were also given a map and directions which was really helpful with it being our first time in New York. Also try the Pershing Square café and diner for breakfast they do the best pancakes!! I don't want to go on too much however we really did enjoy our stay at this hotel which made the trip even more memorable, if we came back to New York we would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor and we had a room at the front of the hotel, it was a good size and very...

Dear Miss_marmite2012,

Congratulations on your recent wedding I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received and I see you were able to relax on our our outdoor patio, a perfect way to unwind after a busy day.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here in June for 5 nights as we were getting married in Central Park during our stay. The hotel is beautiful and in a fantastic location, literally a minutes walk from Grand Central Station. What can I say about the staff, well I don't think you would find kinder, more welcoming staff anywhere else in the world. They were wonderful to us from start to finish, they upgraded our room to a junior suite as we were getting married and sent us bottles of champagne and chocolate coated strawberries to our room. Nothing was ever a hassle to them. Special thanks to Kelly and Patrick but to be honest, couldn't fault any of the staff in any way. Anywhere we needed to get to the desk staff or concierge sorted it for us & also sorted out some great days and nights out including a helicopter flight and a trip to Broadway to see The Jersey Boys. The room was gorgeous, spacious and immaculate & extremely quiet. The whole hotel was beautifully clean and the Wheeltapper pub attached to the hotel was very reasonably priced and the food quality was excellent. I honestly cannot find one bad thing to say regarding this hotel, we had the best and most magical wedding and honeymoon there and majority of that was thanks to the hospitality we received. If we ever return to New York I wouldn't even look at staying anywhere else, the Fitzpatrick Grand Central is the only place for me.

Dear Madame Tussaud,

I am very happy to read we were abel to make your wedding in New York a memorable occasion and we were able to make it a stress free few days.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Staff were very friendly and helpful, booking tickets for us for the world trade centre memorial, a very good steak restuarant (Benjamin's) and checking us in online for our flight home. Our room (rm 813) was very comfortable and not at all as small as I had feared after reading some of the reviews here. It was clean and tidy and as quiet as you can get for the middle of NYC. A would definatley stay there again when we go back to New York. The only negative was the bar. It didn't have any atmosphere.

Dear Trudycb,

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Unusually friendly and welcoming service for Manhattan. The Fitzpatrick is very clean and well appointed, not at all "tired". The staff went out of its way to 'connect' with its guests and make them feel welcome and cared for. (I heard the concierge explaining to some foreign guests the advantages/disadvantages of different site seeing packages they were contemplating purchasing.)
The room had a double bed, a desk with chair and (greatfully) air conditioning that worked very well. Fairly spacious for Manhattan standards, especially for one person. The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. High end shampoo/soap etc with baronially embossed towels with the Fitzpatrick logo. There were linen floor mats on either side of the bed so your feet wouldn't touch the rug.
The only negative was that I found a fingernail clipping on the bed (!) And it was very hard to unscrew the body lotion bottle. It had a metal cap that someone with arthritis would be unable to open.
These are minor negatives. On the whole, if you are looking for a comfortable, boutique environment, centrally located in midtown at Grand Central on 44th Street, the Fitzpatrick is a good choice.
There is a free pass available to the gym a few blocks away.
I can't really comment on the value as I booked the hotel less than a week in advance so ended up with a great rate.

Room Tip: It was fairly quiet overall, especially for Manhattan.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear GreatTrip536,

Reviewed July 1, 2013

We've stayed here three or four times and always felt this hotel had a couple of things going for it. First, an ideal location and, second, a particularly Irish sense of welcome. This last visit we arrived at midnight and the desk person spent a lot more time discussing the $250 charge if you smoke in the room than he did offering to help with bags, etc.

We had the Gabriel Byrne suite which opens on the Gabriel Byrne air shaft but a view is not what you come to a small New York hotel for.

Unfortunately, more than a few people come to this hotel to get loudly drunk. In the past we've heard it from below and this time just outside our room where some newfound relationship was deteriorating with a loud argument, door slamming, cursing....but you can hardly blame the hotel for that.

It's clean, convenient and comfortable.

We still like this hotel but we're not as committed to it as we have been in the past.

Dear bruce b,

Thank you for being a repeat customer of the for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I do aplogize that your arrival to the hotel was less than welcoming, I will be following up the team to ensure this is corrected.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.