“Good situation”

Ranked #52 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Bournemouth
“Good situation”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This Hotel is on Lexington and is ideal for all shopping and site seeing expeditions. The metro is very close and so are all bus stops.
I found the staff very friendly and the rooms are very comfy with flat screen tv / tea and coffee / iron etc. bathroom are small but clean.
The hotel stationary is rubbish, cheap pencils etc.
The wheeltapper bar is atmospheric but very expensive but you must understand it is attached to a hotel. For example steak and ale pie is $19 and simple sausage and chips is $16 and chips are small portions. Beer and wine you need a mortgage. Better to pop down to 2nd ave where there is a wealth of pubs with happy hours from 4 till 8
Internet is charged as well which in this day and age is just a money making system.
Very comfy though

Room Tip: There are some inward rooms with no view whatsoever.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank COYMB
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear COYMB,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am am glad to see that you found the hotel to be comfortable but also see that we fell short meeting your expectations in some areas.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Finnish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Spent 4 days here in march for my Mums 50th, it was our first time in NYC. I have to say this is probably my favourite hotel ever. From the staff to the service to the location to the charm, I cannot praise it enough.

When we arrived we were offered a better room which we were grateful for, we did have to wait bit we were given drinks tokens for our time. The room was spacious for NYC (apparently) and the bathroom was a good size. The room had everything you need like an iron and kettle and other little extras. The bed was so comfortable it made it so hard to get up in the morning to explore!

The hotel is located of Lexington with all attractions within walking distance and Grand central station at the top of the street. The staff were amazing with directions and tips and I have to say a personal thank you to Taj on reception who made me a personalised shopping map!! With directions and shop names in some of the lesser known areas of NY. It was amazing and I got some great purchases ;) We had champagne and strawberries and a nice birthday message in our room also, lovely touch!

The Irish bar on site has a great ambiance and excellent decor and the food is amazing. We ate in the bar a lot and spent evenings in there also. My Aunts were staying in a different hotel at the same time and they came to the Fitzpatrick every day for breakfast and drinks - they were made to feel just as welcome as us guests. the service was personal and impeccable with staff knowing your name and where you have been each day.

I can't pick fault with the hotel at all. I would say its the best hotel I have stayed in (so far) and if I return to NYC I would not want to stay anywhere else. I have to thank the girls on reception, concierge, bar & waiting staff, Managers and everyone else at the hotel for helping make my Mum feel super special on this trip and contribute to making it a trip of a life time for her and me :)

I cannot wait to go back already!!!!

Room Tip: I'd say it doesn't matter which room you get, the beds are amazing!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KittyLynch67
Dear KittyLynch67,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

Heysham
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Fitzpatrick grand central and found that our research on Trip advisor had paid off, from the moment we walked in to the day we left we had a wonderful time .We had booked the holiday some months ago to coincide with our silver wedding celebrations and we were greeted by the reception staff where an efficient and courteous check inn followed. having taken our room key imagine our surprise when we were told that the card was for the lift to take us to our penthouse suite that the hotel had upgraded us to apparently following a conversation with British airways our holiday couriers .On entering the “Liam neeson “garden suite we were confronted with a bottle of champagne, two glasses and strawberries dipped in chocolate to get us off to a fine start in the superb city of New York
The room itself was clean, the bed very comfortable and as for the bath room ….wow.
My wife and I would like to thank ALL the staffs at the Fitzpatrick for making our stay so memorable with a special shout out to the omnipresent Lucia on reception and my mate Michael the informative concierge
Take our advice and read the top reviews on this site and if you like cosy and personal service, Value ,top location and a pub next door, go!
Well done Fitzpatrick Grand central From Allan and Stella

Room Tip: stayed married for 25 vears!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Allan K
Dear Allan K,

Congratulations on celebrating your Silver Wedding anniversary and thank you for choosing to celebrate it with us.

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received. It was our pleasure to upgrade you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

My daughter and I had a trip to New York on Easter weekend, this was our not our first visit to the big apple but by far the best. The hotel is in such a perfect location, within walking distance of shops, restaurants etc but in a quiet side street away from the hustle and bustle of NYC. The staff were so helpful and concierge were always on hand to give advice, information if needed. The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in, and the room spacious and spotlessly clean.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Christine W,

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed in Fitzpatricks Grand Central with my husband in November, its a fabulous hotel, with excellent service. The Wheel Tapper Pub is was great for a relaxing drink and gorgeous dinner at the end of a long day shopping and sightseeing. Great location only a stroll from 5th Ave, Central Park, 42nd St etc. I would recommend for families also.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear George R,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This hotel is located near Grand central station so conveniently positioned for access to all part s of central New York. The rooms are a little larger than in some hotels with comfortable beds and good amenities. The air conditioning is noisy so thankfully it was not too hot when we visited. Opening the window was not an option given the noise from the bar courtyard below. The food in the hotel was OK, not great, but OK and portion size a little excessive for my taste. The concierge service was excellent nothing too much trouble providing you supplied a suitable tip. The hotel did manage to make a couple of annoying mistakes with our booking. They offered a double bed when we requested and booked twin beds for my daughters. Having fixed this they then called me whilst having an excellent lunch in little Italy to ask why we had not left because they had already reserved the twin room for other guests. I was disappointed to overhear the conversation with these other guests as they explained the problem on us not having left on time when, in fact, the booking was until the next day. The late check-out on our booking was not honoured and dismissed by the desk staff with the offer of storing our bags. Overall decent hotel but desk staff / management need to get their act together.

Room Tip: No differences, either over courtyard with bar noise or on busy street. It is New York so you expect...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Geroge R,

I am sorry to read that we inconvenienced you on a number of occasions and did not meet your expectations.

I do hope that you would consider staying with us on your next visit to NYC and ask that you contact me at pleyden@fitzpatrickhotels.com so that I may personally assist you with your arrangements.

Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

excellent hotel with extremely helpful staff, concierge was brilliant and helped us with booking tickets for a show and bus and boat tours.The bed was the comfiest i have ever slept in and i worked in the bedding industry for almost 20 years. room was spotless and included complimentary champagne and chocolate strawberries for my partners birthday. food was good and reasonably priced the restaurant booked by the concierge was excellent. The position of the hotel is perfectly placed for easy access to the station for tubes and trains and steady walk to times square. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting new York and wouldn,t hesitate to stop there again if ever I get the chance to go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Andrew C,

I am very happy to read that you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us, and the champagane and strawberries were well received.