“nice staff and well located”

Ranked #52 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
“nice staff and well located”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We came in to NYC on January 1. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming. Grand Central station is an easy walk to Rockefeller center. The rooms are small and the wireless did not come with the room. The price point is excellent for NYC. I would recommend the Fitzpatrick Hotel Grand Central to anyone who would like a clean comfortable hotel with a friendly staff.

Room Tip: ask for a room above the 5th floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
PatrickLeyden, General Manager at Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Dear Rebecca C,

Thank you for staying at the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and for taking the time to post your review of the hotel on Tripadvisor.

Once again, thank you for choosing the Fitzpatrick Grand Central and I do hope it won’t be too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to the hotel.

Fitzpatrick Grand Central Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Finnish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed three nights at the Fitzpatrick and it was very satisfactory. Nice size room for NYC-comfortable bed and easy controls for heating the room. Had breakfast all three days in their resturaunt and enjoyed that as well. Had the American special two mornings and the oatmeal the third. Hit the spot. Staff was friendly as well. Thanks!

Room Tip: I had in the room in the back of the hotel and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear happytravels18_11,

Hassocks
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This was our first trip to New York. I don't expect it will be our last as we loved it, and as the hotel was a big part of the positive experience I expect we'll go back there too. The room was comfortable and spacious. The food in the bar was good. The location just across from the magnificent Grand Central Station was superb. But the biggest positive was the staff. From concierge to receptionists, bar staff to cleaners and maintenance staff, everyone was polite, friendly, helpful above and beyond what I'd expect and a positive joy to be around.

Negatives? I've one, but it's small. I'd expect in this day and age for a hotel to have wireless Internet access. All they do is offer it via AT&T, it was fifteen dollars a day, and it was rubbish. It dropped in and out, Skype wouldn't function, and after one day I decided I wouldn't pay for more. We really could have done with this service, and it was a big frustration. Mind you, there's a Pret a Manger over the road where you can get it for free- and like every Pret in NY, the password is "toastie"!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ian T
Dear Ian T,

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received. I do apologise for the issue you encountered with the Wifi, we have recently added bandwidth and will be following up with our provider to address connectivity.

limerick
Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is a fab hotel. Very busy and the staff are great. It is located too so good for getting around the place, and in a nice safe area. Its a great city with an endless amount of restaurants, and huge shops!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Una d,

Alexandria, VA
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My Mom and I stayed here for two nights in December during a pre-Christmas weekend trip. The first thing I noticed when I walked in the door was the beautifully decorated fireplaces and Christmas tree in the lobby. It really gave a very cozy first impression. Our room was not ready when we checked in, so the man behind the desk offered to hold the luggage so we could head out and see the sites, many of which are only a few blocks away from the hotel by foot.

We were given our room keys around 6:30 p.m. when we returned from seeing the Rockettes. The room was a surprisingly good size given that it only had a queen size bed and it's a NYC hotel. The bathroom was also nice, and had a full size tub with a high shower head and a little window. I immediately noticed how clean the room and bathroom were. I couldn't see a single hair or speck of dirt.

The location of the hotel is great. It is walking distance to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and 5th Avenue shopping. My mom and I took the subway in Grand Central Station, which is just across the street, to Century 21 Department store and the WTC site.

There were a few negatives I should point out to be fair. The pillows I had were terribly uncomfortable so I slept on the decorative ones. My mom had a different kind of pillow and hers was fine. I asked the front desk for the other kind, but they sent up a guy with the same kind I already had.

We also had numerous issues with the heat. It is an old building and the heat doesn't function properly. The room was either boiling or freezing - no in between. Every time we tried to adjust the thermostat, the whole heater would turn off and wouldn't come back on. I later learned from the nice mechanic who the front desk sent up that the key to getting the heat on was to pull the entire unit away from the wall and hit a switch under the unit. I would say some serious upgrading is in order there. Overall however, I would recommend the hotel despite the few negatives.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear kfrolich,

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received. We will be replacing the older airconditioning units throughout the year and I expect that will address the heating issues you encountered.

leitrim
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for 5 nights for New Years celebrations. We arrived after 5pm to check in and were very tired after a long journey. Our room wasn't ready however the receptionist was very polite and gave us complimentary drinks in the bar while we waited for our room. We didn't have to wait too long. Our room was very spacious and clean. The bed was one of the most comfortble i have slept in. The bathroom was also very clean. It is approx a 10 minute casual walk to times square and there are loads of restaurants in the vicinity of hotel. The hotel is located across the street from the Grand Central terminal. This made it very easy to access most of the city via the subway (including JFK). Food was a bit pricey but it was similar to most premises in this part of town. The staff in the hotel were very friendly and accomadating. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this lovely hotel and would highly recommend it if visiting New York.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear seamiec,

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your very kind comments about the hotel and the service you received. I do apologise for the delay you experienced on arrival but am glad to see you got the experience the Wheeltapper bar.

Huggie103
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed in November 2012 for five nights and really enjoyed our stay. We found the hotel to be very cosy and homely.

Patrick the general manager could not do enough for us during our stay and always stopped to say hello and ask how we were.

The rooms were lovely and spacious. The bathroom was a bit basic. The oatmeal breakfast was amazing. The hotel was very clean and well presented at all times.

But what impressed us the most about this hotel was the amazing staff that worked there and would do anything for you. You had Fernando, Mike and Garfield at your service for luggage and directions etc. The lovely Lucia on reception to help settle you in and make sure you wanted for nothing. Patrick on night duty/reception to have an early morning chat with.

Great location and with in walking distance to many of the main attractions in NY.

This was our 4th time to NY and this was by far the most enjoyable hotel to stay in and if returning to NY again, this will be where we stay.

On our last day in this hotel, we were very lucky to meet the famous man himself Mr. Fitzpatrick, who aslo was a complete gentleman and spoke with us. I asked for a photograph and he was only delighted to be asked.

As you can see from the above, we really enjoyed our stay in this hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone.

I didn't use the fitness facilities that were provided off site but other guests spoke highly of the facilities.

Room Tip: We got a room at the end of the corridor on the 6th floor and it was extremely quiet we were never d...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Huggie103,

It was a pleasrue to meet you and I have shared your kind commmetns with Fernando, Mike, Garfield and Lucia.