“Great location!”

Ranked #325 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Great location!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed here in October 2013, went with 5 others, I was sharing a room with my mum and the first day we got there got a room with a double bed! Went to reception and requested a room with 2 single beds, the hotel was full that night but the next day they swapped our room with no problem! It's in a great location.. 5 mins from Times Square, 5 mins from Central Park, about 10 mins from radio city music hall.. Also the subway is right at the bottom of the hotel and there is a starbucks right opposite... It's basic but your in New York your not in your room much! I would deffo go back..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Amy R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (988)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bawtry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We booked this hotel for its location, which is excellent for getting around times square and getting to central park etc.
We booked a twin room, only to be given a (small) double which wasn't ideal - as the staff were unable / unwilling to do anything about it.
The room was comfortable enough and the food was sufficient, but we'd be unlikely to return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Andrew H
Dubrovnik, Dubrovacko-Neretvanska, Croatia
Reviewed January 4, 2014

The Wellington was in a great location, right opposite a starbucks, which my family and I visited every day for breakfast. All main attractions, Times Square, Central Park and the Empire State building, were at most a half hours walk away. The room which we stayed in (suite) was the exact one which is on the website, which was a huge relief. However, since there were NO MUGS, we couldn't use the kettle or make a cup of tea or coffee, which we were supplied with. I recommend bringing your own, if you can. Don't believe any horror stories you read about this hotel, it is all you need and more to enjoy your stay in NYC. All the staff are very upbeat and are willing to help whenever you need it. Also, Christmas/New Year is the best time to visit NYC, everyone is happy and all the buildings are lit up with beautiful Christmas lights.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th floor as the lifts (elevators) are hard to get to in a hurry.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Alice B
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed January 3, 2014

This hotel is in a very good location. The subway is very near, so that makes it easy to get around the city. But you can walk to Central Park and Times Square. There are several restaurants nearby and shopping too. It is an older hotel, but it was clean. We had a two bedroom suite, which had the refrigerator and microwave kitchenette area. It would have been nice if there had been more than bathroom, but it was fine. We went to NY to see NY, not a hotel room. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank 28412traveler

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

After booking this trip in September for a christmas holiday I was so excited! I checked the reviews almost every day. Although some made me nervous, I knew to make my own desicion after the trip. I am so glad I did. I stayed with my partner here for just under a week. The staff were fabulous and the hotel itself was gorgeous, I loved the decor and great location. Everyone was so helpful and down to earth, we requested a higher floor and was given just that! When showering one morning I lifted the window and it was beautiful! It was about 7.30 am and the sun was rising between the skyscrapers and what was better it was snowing! The Wellington has to be one of the best hotels to stay in for value, location and wonderful staff! Thank-you for having us :)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amber-Ainsley
Rugeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Was our first time in New York and had the most amazing time. We did have a slight issue that our room wasnt ready so got asked to come back half hour later and it still wasnt ready but they soon sorted us another room out. Yes some of the decor was abit dated but when in new york its only a place to get your head down for a few hours and have a shower. The main thing was it was really clean.The hotel staff was very helpful and friendly and the rooms were well maintained. It is in a fab location aswell. The only time we caught the tube was to go to ground zero. There is a gorgoeus little bakery pretty much next to the hotel called fluffys that do lovely cakes and breakfasts. I would definatly reccomend this hotel to a friend

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank cheekycharliechuck86
Eureka
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was nervous about the hotel after reading some of the reviews. After spending 4 days at the Wellington I just think it's a shame that some people are so critical. Yes, the hotel is an older hotel and yes some of the decor is a bit on the dated side, but we found our room on the 11th floor to be clean and comfortable. The bathroom was small but we had no problem as a family of 4 getting ready every day. The beds were extremely comfortable- some of the best sleep I've had in a very long time. The hotel staff was always very helpful and polite. When we found that the iron in the closet didn't get very hot, so we called the front desk and they delivered a new iron in less than 5 minutes.

The heat in the room was pretty warm, so we turned the heater off and slept with the windows cracked. Honestly that is my only complaint.

The very best thing about the hotel was it's location. We were 2 blocks from Central Park and about 4 blocks to Times Square. We were a 30 minute walk to the Museum of Natural History. The business district (9/11 Memorial) is too far to walk, so that was the only place we went where we took the subway. Everything else (Rockefeller Center, Broadway, Madison Square Garden) we walked to. There are restaurants everywhere and there is a Starbucks across the street in almost every direction. FYI- Fuzzy's 3 doors down has awesome breakfast, coffee and pastry.

If you are looking for a sleek, contemporary hotel then you'll want to look elsewhere. If you are looking for a nice, clean hotel for a decent rate in Manhattan, The Wellington is great. I guarantee when we go back, we will book this hotel again.

Room Tip: I booked a double deluxe room and we were bumped to a 2 room suite. Our room overlooked 7th avenue a...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family