“Hotel in a heart of a city with the most awfull temperature inside”
Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #329 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I spent few days in the Wellington hotel which is super located - close to Times Square and Central Park.
the thing that surprised me a lot was no free wifi connection, that makes it really low rated from typical standard offered by most of the US hotels.
the rooms are big and comfortable however equipment surprised me again: can you imagine an apartment with the kitchen without any single plate, fork or spoon? only fridge and microwave. pretty strange, not the thing European customers are used to.
the most awfull thing however was a temperaturę in the hotel. We had a room on 15 floor where you could feel like in outside/ on july closely to 30 Celsius/ and in the lobby you could feel like during winter- super cold.(!) it 's not healthy, therefore came back super sick.
rooms are clean, service is good/ don't know about food, since we haven't any breakfasts there/
i bet you can get much better place than Wellington if you need Quality vs price.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ebuggy
Write a ReviewReviews (7,140)

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights and had no problems with it. nice stay. Pros: TOP location - short walk to Times Square, Central Park. Metro stop beside the Hotel. Clean room. Friendly staff. Cafe located in hotel has nice food.
Cons: room quiet small but didn't bother us, for the amount of time we spent in it. Also, was very warm even though the AC was always going. Charge for wifi

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel has two things going for it--price and location, but that's about it. We actually had two different rooms here during a 4-day/3-night stay. The television in the first room did not work, and finally after 3 days, we were given a new room with a working TV. Both rooms were small with very small bathrooms. I could accept this due to the fact that the hotel is an older building, but the decor was worn-out and nothing seemed really clean. In the first room we had, the hair dryer was broken as well as the TV, but they did bring us a new one. The desk did send maintenance people up to our room to fix the TV, but they did not seem to know what they were doing--even after they brought us a new TV, they didn't realize the problem was with their service provider. In the second room we had, the bathtub didn't drain. In both rooms, there were pieces broken off the sinks in the bathrooms. The second room was also missing the extra latch that's usually toward the top of a hotel-room door. Both rooms were located in the hotel's east wing, which is reached by a small flight of stairs off the lobby. The elevators were small and slow. The hallways were very narrow and hot, and it appeared that housekeeping carts and vacuum cleaners were stored there during the day. We had to walk around them to get to our room and the elevators. The air conditioners worked OK, but in the second room, there was black mold all over the lid to the control knobs. The lid was up for guests to see when they walked into the room, so I'm assuming the mold was also visible to hotel staff who were responsible for cleaning the room. To me, there were some odd amenities missing--tissues, conditioner, and an ice bucket with cups or glasses. On the plus side, we had a discount and free wi-fi because we made our reservations online, and breakfast was good at the hotel coffee shop. The gentlemen who worked on the TV were generally polite, but I think a supervisor should have stepped in sooner and given us a room with a working TV. I shouldn't have had to call a manager. Maybe this is what you get in New York for $200 per night, but overall, this experience was not what I expect in a hotel, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wants to have an enjoyable time visiting the city.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here, you may want to avoid the east wing. Rooms in the main part of the hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank TrishaHMoore
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed 1 night in June 2013. Pros: Great location central to Park Ave and Central Park. I had 2 beds in my room, which was, as expected quite small. My sister-in-law and her family had a 2-room suite, and it was quite large. The rooms are neat and relatively clean - clean linens and the bathroom was clean. Con: The décor and fixtures are definitely showing signs of age: peeling wallpaper, damaged furniture. Hallways are not well ventilated, but the rooms themselves smelled ok to me.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 1FlaGirlTraveler
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed 5 nights; paid $615 through bookit.com. Great deal for the location but.... the hotel had no soul.

Pros: Location.
Cons: Dingy room, dingy bathroom, bad lighting in bathroom, room was stifling.

If I remember correctly, I had requested and did receive a room on the 12th floor.

Tip: When I checked in I gave the desk associate a tip, and then I asked her about the possibility of free wi-fi. She was kind to give me a code for free wi-fi all five days.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Dingwoman
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Not the greatest hotel in town that's for sure! My friend stayed here for work and had to leave a day early so he let me stay in his room for his last night. I always like to stay in hotels!! haha!

The decor of the hotel looks like it hasn't been updated in YEARS! It looks like a little old lady decorated the room in 1983. It looks like your Grandma's bedroom! haha!! Wallpaper, and bedspreads look very outdated. The air conditioner wasn't working well. There were many, many foreign tourists in the hotel. I have a feeling they just get the room cheap and don't really know what they're getting because they don't know any better.

I would NOT stay in this hotel, nor recommend it to the many out of town visitors I get who visit me here in NYC.

the location is absolutely perfect! So close to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Central Park, etc...If you don't mind a smelly room, bad air conditioning, outdated decor you're all set!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Stephen A
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I got a deal on this place through Travelocity. I used to live down the street from this place and should have known better. The room they put me in was filthy, the wallpaper/floors were disgusting. The bed was broken (Springs sticking out) and if felt like I was in a 3rd world country. I HIGHLY recommend NOT staying here despite it's central location. I turned around and left immediately.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business