“Great hotel”
Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #324 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Second time we have stayed at the Wellington. Its a good hotel, clean, friendly, lots of hustle and bustle. Its really close to 42nd street and subway. For the price its excellent. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Wellington Hotel

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Can't beat this hotel for location! a few steps from Central Park, a few more from Times Square. We stayed here over New Years for 10 nights so were given a room with park views - awesome! The staff are friendly and helpful, rates were very good for New York, especially given the location. Room was spotlessly clean, compact but enough room for two people to be comfortable. So many great places to eat nearby, try the cookies in the cafe across the road, omg I must have eaten one every day, they were amazing! I will stay here again when I next visit NYC.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with views over Central Park
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I actually stayed here for a few days in March 2012 (but I have no option to choose this).

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. I was greeted by friendly, helpful staff and check in was fairly quick. I was shown to my room by a friendly bellhop(?).

The room was standard and looked ok at first, but there was this strange smell that never really went away coming from the small bathroom. I don't mind small bathrooms though I can imagine it being cramped for a larger person. They provided soap and lotion but they could have done with extras either in the room or shop such as shower caps.

There were no tea/coffee facilities which is a shame. It was a clean looking room. One major issue though was the curtains didn't shut, making me feel a little bit exposed. The decor was old looking and worn and there was this huge mirror which freaked me out a bit at night.

However as I've said the hotel/shop had friendly staff. The shop did have quite a range of things and they were always very helpful telling me places to go in the local area and giving me instructions on how to use the subway (since I was new to it). Their wifi was fine.

I'd give an extra half a star if I could. However eventually when I visit NYC I'll probably end up staying elsewhere.

If they could modernize a bit I think they'd have potential as their location is brilliant. Though maybe they have since I've stayed.

I hope this review is helpful (it's my first).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank louiseb47
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This was certainly the American experience with the porters coming out with the gold cages to collect your luggage . The hotel is very grand in the main foyer . Staff are very helpful . The hotel is in a perfect place right on the main strip . The only thing lacking was it could have done with a chill out bar instead of the bar in a very posh restaurant , when you go in for a drink and to relax you get stared at

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2013

New York is the best place to go for a great city break. But this hotel was brilliant! Not a single fault I could have. Staff were brilliant and the hotel was nice and clean. Best thing about this hotel was the location, 5min walk on the same street as times square. on a good route for subway too.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I booked this hotel based on advice from travel agent and trip advisor and I agree with all other reviews. The hotel is in a great midtown location within walking distance of anything you need. I spent alot of time in Central Park due to how close it is! As a solo female traveller I felt comftorable walking around later in the day/ night and the hotel staff were very friendly. The room itself was 'cosy' and was cleaned daily. Only problem at the time of my visit was limited elevator- So would spend so much time just waiting to go up and down. I think they were in the stage of upgrading at the time.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We've been 3 days in New York ( 2 nights) and the location of this hotel was absolutely marvelous; 3 corners from Central Park, maybe 6 corners from Time Square. We could go back there inbetween two activities. The staff was kind and helpful.
The room was very big enough for the three of us (3 beds) and everybody had his privacy.
The beds were confortable and the place was clean. The bathroom was ok. Old but ok.
I would stay there again if I had to go back to New York.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family