“Great location, but not a 3 star Hotel”
Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #330 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 8, 2013

3 star hotel probably not, but you can't beat the location; it's only blocks from Central Park, Times Square, Rockefeller Center and Fifth Avenue. This is a grand hotel that has seen its better days, but I have stayed in less elegant and more expensive hotels. The rooms are small but average for NYC. The price could be lower but you are in New York City where everything is expensive. My room was clean, yet simple, the staff was friendly and service was average but bear in mind you are in the world's greatest city so who stays in their room with so much to see and do. For the price and location it's a bargain. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for non smoking.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (7,072)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Staff are helpful, very good location close to all actions in NYC. Some rooms are not that renovated yet. We initially booked a standard room and it was too tight to move around with an infant. We upgraded to double room which is almost twice the size of the standard room and the room is quite nice and renovated for few more bucks. Was best decision to we made to make our stay more comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I made a reservation for three nights and stayed for two, it is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. No heating in the room, on a very cold New York. Moreover, the AC unit in the room did not fit evenly into the hole bellow the window where it was placed, therefore there was a freezing draft of cold air coming from outside, I was on the 20th floor so the wind is strong. The room was freezing, when I complained, the hotel manager on duty was extreemely rude and indicated that there was nothing he could do and that I could leave if I wanted, it was midnight by then!!!!! The bad things did not end, once in the room again there were strange noices coming from the wall, which sounded like mice runing around and scratching the wall from the other side. There was no real water preasure for the shower in floor 20th and the room was dusty and not very well cleaned. the towels were old and in bad condition as well as the brownish sheets on the bed. I would never spend one minute in that hotel again. I am a frequent traveler but i have never seen something as bad as this hotel and a manager as rude as the one that gave me as the only alternative to leave the hotel at midnight!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Rodrigo M
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our family took two rooms at the Wellington, both were comfortable with nice bathrooms. Beds were made daily, clean towels and sheets. The wonderful lobby with Art Deco fittings, amazing mirror and chandelier.
Friendly bus boys were very helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lesley298
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Have just returned from a 5 night trip to NYC and stayed at the Wellington Hotel. Ideal location, 5 mins walk from Central Park, and just a bit of a longer walk to Times Square. Yes the hotel is dated, but clean. Lifts are old, we actually got stuck between floors, and as they are tiny that was a bit of a hair raising moment! The lifts are also used by the cleaners and one morning I had to queue for ages as they loaded their linen trollies. Ive never seen this in a hotel before? I stayed in a double room with my daughter, and had a massive queen size bed, which was one of the comfiest I have ever had. It did get too hot and the old radiators could not be turned off so the window was opened and shut all night which is not good. My three other friends stayed in a suite but this was just a double bed, and a pull down bed in the front room. Other than that there was a fridge and a sink. Nothing else. BUT because we were hardly in the rooms, it was ideal, everything nearly on the doorstep andI would recommend this hotel if used for that purpose.

Room Tip: A room at the back of the hotel is better and although they overlook windows, its so very quiet. My...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Stay at the Wellington in September 2012
With my family 6 adults and 1 baby
Hotel was in excellent location lots of shops and cafes near by to get your breakfast every day
Although as a whole New York is not baby friendly
A lot of cafes and restaurants would not warm up my baby's food
Which was hard
But apart from that excellent holiday
The view from our bedroom was amazing and at night was lovely

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were two musicians staying at The Wellington 6 nights now in April. We chose this hotel because its next door to Carnegie Hall where we were playing. We had a double room with two queen beds and an amazing view from the 24th floor over 7th Ave and Times Square. The room was not the biggest, but was clean and had kitchenette which was great. We experienced good service all over, from the bell man to the cleaning ladies. The hotel is very big and full all the time it seemed, but it was actually quiet, which we appreciated. We never tried the restaurant. The location is ideal if you are there for sightseeing or work in Manhattan. Right next to Central Park it was perfect for a morning walk in the park. I agree with some previous reviews that the decor seem outdated, but I think as long as its clean it doesn't bother me. We booked and prepaid via the hotel's own website, and then we received fre WiFi for the whole week.

• Stayed: April 2013