“Hotel great location, but in need of refurbishment”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #321 of 467 Hotels in New York City
london
“Hotel great location, but in need of refurbishment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Arrived at the Wellington with my daughter for her 21st, 1st impression Reception was very nice, but not enough seating area, we checked in at 1.45, to be told our room would not be ready until 3.00 pm, the reception was packed with people vacating and checking in.Once given our room on the 6th floor we came out the lift and thought we were in some sort of engine room, very old looking with some sort of pipes, the stairwell was really old looking, however were very surprised how big the room was, we had 2 big rooms seperated by a kitchen.
the first night we didn't notice as we were jetlagged, but the 2nd night we woke up with some loud banging noises we think it was from the heating unit in the window.
6.30 in the morning we went to reception and told them they were very good they said to pack our cases and leave them in the storage room until 3.00 and we could have another room.
We came back from a day out and was given another room in the newer part of the hotel , much nicer we was given a room with 2 rooms again and 2 bathrooms. very nice, the rooms were very clean had nice clean sheets, fresh towels every day.
The location was brilliant outside the hotel was the Metro subway, 5 mins walk to Central Park , Times square, 5th avenue (shops) about 8 minutes walk. Broadway 5 mins walk, very central for everything.
The diner under the hotel food very good.
Thought it was a bit weird there was no bar in the hotel.

After vacating our room, my daughter was ill with a sickness bug, while waiting for our shuttle bus i asked the doormen if there was another toilet as there were only 2 toilets and were very busy, i told them she was sick they said well that is the only toilets we have they were not bothered at all very unhelpful.
You get what you pay for ok hotel in a good location.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better and the lifts right opposite the reception lead to the nicer part of the ho...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cookie08London

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (966)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Busy hotel - popular with all nationalities. Location fantastic 10 minutes from central park, 10 mins from Broadway.
No coffee or tea making facilities in your room :-(
Rooms cleaned everyday with plenty of towels provided and clean sheets everyday too.
We had to check out at 12 but we weren't leaving until 4, there is a room provided free of charge for suitcases but very little seating provided around the lobby area so it gets quite crowded.
Would definitely book this hotel again when we return to New York

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Ideally situated, close to times square and central park.stayed in october 2012, staff friendly, had a suite as 4 of us in room, very clean. Decor is very dated but you only sleep there! would defnatly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

After a very long flight and my prepaid hotel transfer (nothing to do with the Wellington) did not show up it was a welcome relief to get to the hotel. They checked me in ASAP and the bellman was very thorough showing me around my room. The room was clean and comfortable. I was a little irritated about paying $25 for three day’s Internet but on check out they told me not to worry about it. They held my luggage for the day as I had friends come out from Pennsylvania to show me around. The location was great. Only a few blocks from Times Square and the subway right nearby. If I visit again NYC again I would definitely consider staying here. Only downside was that even on the 21st floor you could still hear the cars honking their horns. I guess you'll get that wherever you stay in NYC.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 4 nights in a auite with 3 of my girlfriends. Room was a very good size, hall when you walk in with fridge, microwave, kettle etc. Bathroom had a shower over bath, very good pressure. Toilet was facing sink, very tight amount of room. Seperate double bedroom with ample wardrobe space and flat screen tv and living room area with double bed, sofa and flat screen tv. We were on the 11th floor using the silver elevators.... Older part of the building so unrefurbished rooms. Rooms were clean but outdated... Would have been nice to see the newly refurbished rooms. Corridor was a bit manky and lift was horrendously slow at times. Safe is available free of charge at reception, $100 if u lose the key! Staff were very helpful and polite.
Have to say the location of this hotel is absolutely perfect, its on West 57th Street which means you come out of the hotel, turn left and you can see Times Square or turn right and you can see Central Park. We walked everywhere apart from Ground Zero which we got the subway to, which is right outside hotel. Wifi in hotel is a bit misleading, the prices stated are for 1 phone... Not 1 room. We realised this after the guy on reception had put it through!
We got it free for 3 days but really slow and could only get it in certain places in the room so definitely not worth it. There is a Starbucks across the road and on every corner, with free wifi so its always packed but ideal if you need it.
We flew into Newark and got a yellow cab which was $103 including taxes & tolls. Then you add on a tip... A lot of your money will be spent on tips!! Check out of hotel was 12 noon and our flight, like most ppl. Wasn't until 9:35pm so they hold your luggage free. They ordered us a taxi but ended up late and a mix up, hotels fault so we ended up in a stretch white limo back to the airport!!
We prebooked all of our sightseeing which was well worth it as most of them included priority seating, to our surprise!!
We didn't eat in the Park Cafe attached to the hotel nor did we order room service, plenty of restaurants to eat. You will never go hungry in New York! We even went to Rays Pizza down the street and brought pizza back to the room, which you seen a few ppl doing. Pizza slices are fab from there!!
Would definitely stay in the Wellington again as the location is fab but I would try to get a refurbished room.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank TravelAgentReview
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I travelled to New York for the 1st time in February 2013. We stayed at The Wellington for 4 nights. I had booked the trip as a surprise for my husbands 40th birthday and booked the hotel primarily due to location.
We arrived before the designated check-in time and our room wasn't ready for us. The helpful receptionist checked us in and advised that we could leave our bags with the concierge and suggested we take in the sights of Times Square whilst we waited. No problem - we were early so had expected this may be the case. We returned at the designated time and the room was ready with our bags delivered and waiting. Unfortunately the standard double room was just too small for us (had expected American sizings but apparently not so for NYC) so we upgraded to a suite (husband is 6ft and I'm 5ft 10) - not a suite that you'd get in the UK, same shabbiness just more sq2! The suite was spacious and adequate with a very comfortable bed - cleanliness was ok its just the out dated fittings gave the impression it wasn't absolutely clean! Blankets instead of duvets are a personal taste (I prefer them my husband does not). The room was inkeeping with the rest of the hotel - tired and in need of a facelift. Why keep broken floor lights in the room? On the subject of lighting I found the hotel to be a little 'dingy'. Even with all our lights on in the room it still didn't make up for the lack of natural light in the morning. This could be a general problem for NYC hotels due to lack of space - I don't know....
We didn't eat at the hotel as preferred to venture out so can't comment. Admittedly, if the hotel had given us a better first impression we might have considered it.

Good points
Good location for the most popular tourist attractions
Helpful Staff
Good value if on a budget
Comfortable large beds within the suite

Not so good points
Not glamourus enough considering it's location
Very dark
In desperate need of a facelift

We really enjoyed NYC but in hindsight I shouldn't have 'hoped for the best' with this hotel, I should have listened to the majority reviews and decided that I like a little 'luxury' and should have reviewed better graded hotels. For that reason I will not be returning...

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the chance of some 'natural' light!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Oldham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just returned from a stay at the Welington, it was wonderful, the atmosphere the decor the cleanliness and the helpfulness of the staff there are amazing. Especially Mr Stanley Tan and Danny at reception, but the porters doormen houskeeping were all so helpful and courteous, I am disabled and they upgraded me free of charge to fit my wheelchair into the room, and the bed was like sleeping on a cloud and massive. I can't speak highly enough of the whole experience. If you are deffinately going to New York and can't quite make a choice of hotel and don't want to pay through the eyes and nose but want top quality then don't hesitate, you won't be dissapointed. It's right in the middle of Manhattan and central for everything - and I mean everything.

Room Tip: After speaking to Mr Tan and Danny and after mentioning my special needs, he advised me to send an e...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends