“Good Location, Poor Service.”
Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #330 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 30, 2012

My initial impressions of this hotel were good, but were soured by the time I left. I'll start with the good points. The hotel is located in a very convenient area. There are tons of delis, the subway is right outside, there is a Starbucks across the street, and Times Square is a 10 minute walk south of the Wellington. Upon arrival, I was told that they had upgraded our "family" room to a suite. The room was very spacious and clean, if a little out of date. My friends and I did not care, as we spent very little time in the room, and most of our time out and about. This is where I had an issue.

On our last day in NYC, before leaving the room, I disconnected my iPhone5 from the charger, and left the charger on the desk in the room. When I returned for the night, the charger was no where to be found. When I called front desk to report the incident, they were very rude and even accused someone else in the room with stealing it. I was told that there was nothing they could do. Whether a cleaner actually knowingly took it or mistakenly threw it out, I feel that the hotel should have taken ownership of the problem and done something to resolve it. Instead, they told me there was nothing they could do. When I asked to speak to management, they instead sent up "security". The man from security took down my information and promised me numerous times that he would call me once he had a chance to speak to the maid. Of course, after checking out, I have heard nothing from the hotel. Very poor customer service, and if I ever do return in the future, I'll make sure to lock up absolutely everything before I think about leaving the room.

1  Thank shawn c
Write a ReviewReviews (7,064)

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here for 4 nights a couple of weeks ago.

Location: Excellent. Centrally located on 7th Ave so it's 3 blocks to Times Square and 2 blocks to Central Park. Subway is just around the corner.

Check-in - The Check-in Staff couldn't crack a smile. Instead of saying something more "welcoming" to their Guest, it was the word 'Hi'. We booked and paid a higher price for a Deluxe 2 Q/B room for 3 guests but our friend didn't join us so when we told them there would be only 2 staying, she switched our room to a Deluxe 1 Queen Bed without even asking us and simply handed us the keys to our room. We only found out when we got to our room but were too tired to make a fuss of it.

Room - This is an old hotel. The room decor is old and well overdue for a makeover. The most annoying thing was that the room doors are closed with a big bang so it can be disturbing if you're trying to sleep. Tiny bathroom.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is a really well located hotel nr times square, central park, next to a metro station, opposite an amazing diner that does the best pancakes!

Taxi to downtown is about $8 from here to get the ferry to staten island, the world trades centre sight etc but the walk is brilliant as you get to go to soho, chinatown, little italy, bloomingdales, maceys etc.

The hotel is clean but our view was awful, just another tower block. It was also really hot in the rooms. I would say a 3star at best.

Room Tip: Try at get a view!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Where_2_next_eh
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I spend 8 nights in October 2012. Location is great, employees are kind, rooms are correct... But all looks a little too old, sometimes you wait a lot for the lift -at 9 AM-, the matress could be a little more confortable, the heating sometimes is a little noisy, the cleanning is not bad but...

With a little changes the hotel could very well, now is just correct but good for the price compared to others in the area (i found the best price in hotels.com)

Ps: we stayed one night in a room in 7th floor and it was very noisy because of the traffic. We had the room changed -employees were very kind- for another in 20th floor , with view to Times Square and it was much better.

Room Tip: I was happy in 20th floor, some friens stayed one night in 3th floor near to ventilation machines an...
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We both enjoyed our stay at the wellington Hotel which we have just come back from. We were on the 24th floor, The room was more than adequate for a standard room which was large and clean, there is a large and very comfortable bed with very comfortable pillows, the bed was made daily by the house maid who daily supplied us with clean towels. In the walk in closet is a hair dryer, ironing table and an iron. There is a seperate kitchen which had a microwave and a coffee purculator (would have loved a kettle) and a full size under the counter fridge. There is a large flat screen tv which you watch for free, you can book and pay to watch just relased movies. What let the room down was the shower which was tempremental, to hot, to cold, in between just right. one time the hot tap stuck on, thankfully my husband managed to turn it off. With the windows closed you can still hear the traffic and noised of the city. Central park is very close just a few blocks away as is Time Square and theaters. Use the Hop on Hop off buses they save a lot of leg power as well as giving you information about the places you pass by and they stop at most of all the attractions to want to visit including the Empire State building. We both agreed we would again stay at the Wellington when visiting new york.

Room Tip: ask not to be near the lifts.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank christinegreen47
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here in January and found the staff couldn't do enough for me and was always there to help out with any questions. The rooms were basic but was absolutely spotless with brilliant views. It was dead center to everything you could need.
If I ever return to new York I will be booking here again

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was my 4th time to NY and was the best location I have stayed in yet. Even though the interior of the rooms etc were not ideal we spent hardly any time in the room so it was perfect for somewhere to sleep and shower! I would much rather stay in an average hotel with this location rather than a nice one that is a 30 minute walk to where I want to be!
Arrived a few minutes before and check in, checked in without any problems. Although we asked for 3 rooms together (as there was 6 of us travelling) and in hindsight I wish we had just left them to book the rooms for us as we may have had one of the "nicer" rooms on the higher floors that I have read about on here. I think we were on the smoking floors as when you exited the lift you were hit by a musty smell but it wasn't too bad in the rooms and we kept the windows open while we weren't in the room. One of the lifts was being maintained each day so they could be a bit slow at times, we used the stairs once.
We didn't actually eat in the hotel (too many places to choose from outside!) so I cannot comment on the cafe but every day it looked full.
I think that once this hotel has been fully renovated it would definitely get 5 stars from me.
Also - people cannot complain about the rooms being small, this is New York! And unless you want to pay over $600 a night for a room you can't expect to have the space.

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room
1  Thank DorkforNewYork