“Amazing.”
Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #327 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here in January and found the staff couldn't do enough for me and was always there to help out with any questions. The rooms were basic but was absolutely spotless with brilliant views. It was dead center to everything you could need.
If I ever return to new York I will be booking here again

• Stayed: January 2012

Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was my 4th time to NY and was the best location I have stayed in yet. Even though the interior of the rooms etc were not ideal we spent hardly any time in the room so it was perfect for somewhere to sleep and shower! I would much rather stay in an average hotel with this location rather than a nice one that is a 30 minute walk to where I want to be!
Arrived a few minutes before and check in, checked in without any problems. Although we asked for 3 rooms together (as there was 6 of us travelling) and in hindsight I wish we had just left them to book the rooms for us as we may have had one of the "nicer" rooms on the higher floors that I have read about on here. I think we were on the smoking floors as when you exited the lift you were hit by a musty smell but it wasn't too bad in the rooms and we kept the windows open while we weren't in the room. One of the lifts was being maintained each day so they could be a bit slow at times, we used the stairs once.
We didn't actually eat in the hotel (too many places to choose from outside!) so I cannot comment on the cafe but every day it looked full.
I think that once this hotel has been fully renovated it would definitely get 5 stars from me.
Also - people cannot complain about the rooms being small, this is New York! And unless you want to pay over $600 a night for a room you can't expect to have the space.

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room
1  Thank DorkforNewYork
Reviewed October 26, 2012

First time in ny so I'm unsure if everywhere is this noisy! Bring ear plugs.
We had a view of times square which was awesome and the rooms are nice. The bell boy was really nice and helped us find great bars and places to eat.
Best location! Between times square & central park, perfect.

3  Thank OzzyExplorer
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Having booked and paid for a room,we arrived at 10.30 pm.,and found our room had been sold again and there was no other available room.After a 30 hour flight,walking for ten minutes with all our luggage ,tired and at that time of night,admittedly with a bell boy,and then back again next morning without help,was to say the least ,a very poor showing.We ere offered an upgrade room,which was still very average,and the aircon was so noisy we could not use it,even though the night temperatures were still in the high eighties.It was well situated.which was about the only saving grace.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room,and ask for one facing towards Central Park on one of the top floors.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jeffona
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This was our third trip to New York and we found this hotel to be a very pleasant surprise. Although some would find it a little dated, it was very clean and the bathroom was spotless. The bed sheets, pillow cases and towels were pristine white and we were very comfortable. We had a one bedroom suite which suited us to have two seperate sleeping areas as our daughter had just turned 18 and needed a seperate space but this was a cheaper way rather than booking two different rooms.

We had read reviews that the staff were rude but we didn't find this on our trip and all of the staff were polite and helpful. We arrived before our check in time and were able to leave our bags securely with the bell hop and the same on check out as our flight was later. This was a free service, but one we would have happily paid for, and we just tipped the bell hop.

I cannot stress how pleased we were with the location of this hotel! Only a short stroll in one direction to Central Park and Times Square and Broadway the other! The Rockerfeller Centre and 5th Avenue were only a couple of blocks away and there is a subway station right outside the hotel with the R line that takes you all the way downtown to Battery Park.

Plenty of restaurants, deli's and coffee shops in the vicinity and also a Duane Reade's (Walgreens) nearby. Can totally recommend the Park Cafe as good value, excellent service and great food. We would also recommend the Maison, around 3 blocks down towards Times Square for a fab Sunday Brunch. I would not recommend the Benash Delicatessan next door to the Wellington however. It looked fab with all the pastries and was busy but we found it to be overpriced for what was on offer, compared to other eateries in the area and nothing special at all.

5  Thank PhoenixFlorida
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This was my second trip to NYC. The Wellington was great! Very central. A short walk to see the shows (we saw Wicked), and shopping in Times Square. Despite some very large tour groups arriving and departing at the same time as we did, check in and check out went very quickly and smoothly. The daily maid service was very considerate. My friend and I were in town on business, and had various meetings set up at different times so we were both in and out of the hotel. There was no knocking on our door or barging in, etc. We hung out the do not disturb sign, so they called mid morning and very nicely asked when we'd like our room cleaned/tidied. There are several very good diners and delis immediately outside the hotel, and lots of locals and tourists always on the sidewalks, so we always felt safe, day or night. Whenever we needed a taxi, the doorman was a great help in getting us one. I did see numerous guests have the doorman get them a taxi, and then they did not tip him. You should always tip the doorman for such things. There were three small elevators in our tower, and we never had to wait long for one of them. The only negative was the bathroom in my opinion, which was nothing terrible. There is only a very narrow counter in the bathroom, large enough only for your makeup bag, toiletries, etc., but not big enough to set your folded clothes on while you shower or change. The only towel bar is in the actual shower, and so the towels got steamed up and damp during the shower if you didn't remove them into the hotel room. It would be nice if there was at least a hook on the bathroom door to hang towels, clothes etc. I would stay at the Wellington again.

Room Tip: We were on the 17th floor, overlooking the side street, and the room was very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank TexWriter
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We asked for a king room upgrade but when we arrived we were given room 28 which looked out to the back alley. Very quickly I asked for a room with a view and were given room 2639 which is a fantastic room with fab views of Time Square. The bathroom was small but functional, shower and water pressure good but the temperature a little variable but do-able. CleanlIness and daily maid service great. Didn't use the diner attached, we used the diner across the road, lovely, cheap and does great take out. Organised our taxi back to JFK for £61. Great access via the subway as you go out the side entrance straight to city hall, staten island, statue of liberty and Ellis island. Use the R line downtown. If you like chipotle then there is one behind and a Rays pizza just down a couple of shops. Second visit and I would definitely be visiting again.

• Stayed: October 2012