“Good budget hotel, perfect location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Wellington Hotel

Wellington Hotel
Ranked #322 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good budget hotel, perfect location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

This is a good, basic, budget hotel. It's old and needs some tlc, but the location is excellent. I agree completely with weeksie501's review. My sister and I stayed here for a long weekend in June. We won it on priceline.com for $155/night (plus taxes/fees). The staff was nice, no complaints. We were also "upgraded" to a king room. At first glance, the room is sad; the carpet and furniture and comforter definitely show age, however, the bedsheets were super clean, our room was quiet (we were in the middle area of the hotel), the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was super clean as well. Basic toiletries were included (shampoo, soap), the tv had cable, and we called for an extra pillow and towels which were brought up right away. The hotel does not offer free internet in the rooms, which was disappointing (but not surprising). It does have a "business center" of computers lined up in the lobby. I believe they cost money, but I didn't double check, so you could call and ask if curious.
For a frame of reference in this price range, I've also stayed at the Roosevelt Hotel and the Hilton Garden Inn (in Chelsea), both won on priceline. The Roosevelt was worse (beds and linens were super nice and new, but bathroom had mold and bad water pressure, and the room was noisy) and the Hilton was better (much better, but it's also brand new and had free wifi).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank chouette062

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (965)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

I found this hotel to be old and grotty. When we got to our room I tried to turn the air conditioning but it just made a very loud noise but in no way reconditioned the air. There was about 1 inch of dust on the skirting board and bed blankets were dull and grubby. I called reception to complain, they sent a guy up to us and when I showed him the dust etc he just shrugged his shoulders and said " I move you to another room" The next room was no better so we left the following morning and went to hotel accross the street (Park Central) which was the total opposite. It was a little more expensive but worth the money. I will never, ever stay at the Wellington again

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank annemur

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Moulsford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

I stayed here during early August and thought I would write a balanced review as i found it very difficult to see whether this hotel was good or rubbish! I think it is important to realise that if you are visiting New York for a holiday then do you really want to spend too much on a hotel if you are not going to be in it?

Good points: The location for a first time visit to NYC is perfect. I couldn't have wished for better. The staff were for the most part quite pleasant and very helpful if you wanted any information. They accomodated me for example when I wanted to check out at 1pm rather than 12pm. The room itself was fine although I didn't spend a lot of time in there! Bed was comfy, room was clean etc etc

Bad points: My initial room was basic and didn't have bedside lights or a blind that worked. I then was moved to a different room which hadn't been finished so they upgraded me to King Size room which was great. I get the impression that they are very aware that it is in need of an update and are reacting positively to customer complaints to upgrade rooms on a daily basis. If you are a light sleeper then ask for a room which is not on the 55th st side as the rubbish lorry is quite loud early in the morning!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank weeksie501
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

The Wellington is a not a posh NYC hotel, but it's clean, comfortable, and a great location. The rooms are a bit smallish, but then its NYC. The Wellington is within walking distant to the south end of Central Park, Carnegie Hall, 5th Ave shopping, Broadway theaters (a bit of a hike, but fun at night) and numerous eateries. Our favorite just down 7th is Fluffies. (Great cheesecake!) There's a Starbuck's just across the street and the hotels ajoining Park Cafe is a great breakfast. Ours was included with our hotel package, so we ate a big breakfast in the middle of the morning and then skipped lunch for a little penny pinching. Now for the best part...there's a subway entrance right out the door. So get a good subway map and you're off!

Room Tip: 56 St has all night trash pickup & is very noisy. Ask for a room on 7th Ave on a high floor or a...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank melm05
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

After arriving in NY at midnight, exhausted and in the middle of a heatwave the staff at Wellington hotel were fabulous. We had someone help us straight up to our to room which already had the air con for us. The hotel is perfectly situated in-between Central Park & Times Square both only short walks & straight across from the famous Carnegie Deli! All the staff were extremely polite & helpful in every way! The rooms were on the smaller side but in a city like NY I doubt u go there to hang out in ur hotel room so it was just perfect!

• Stayed July 2011
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

Stayed in the Wellington with my Husband, we were there for some quality time & of course a shopping spree.. My Parents had sent us over for my Birthday.. On arrival, didn't find Staff at the Reception to be very helpful, though it was really late when we arrived so we dismissed it.. Our room was so basic, i could have cried, but it was clean.. For the money my Parents paid for the hotel was so expensive, that i was expecting a really nice hotel.. Hated that there was only one lift that brought us up and down on our side, we were on the 7th floor, was such a nightmare, when we were leaving because everyone seem to be leaving the hotel at the same time we queued for half an hour to get into it, but as the lift is so small, my Husband had to go alone with his luggage, while i had to wait for the lift to come up.. Overall, Staff were ok, but not what you would expect from any hotel, but on the plus side the Porters were a credit to the hotel, they were so helpful and friendly.. Definitely won't be back there anytime soon, unless we got it really cheap and i was with friends doing some serious shopping because all you need is somewhere to lay your head, definitely not suitable for a couple, but it would be my last option..

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tinkerbell2112
Little Rock, Arkansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We were on vacation and spent 5 days, 4 nights at this very disappointing hotel. Nothing went right from the time we checked in. We switched rooms 3 different times before finally giving up and accepting the poor accommodations given to us. The room we booked was a "double". Mind you, this is not 2 beds, but one full size bed that sleeps two people. We were told they "upgraded" us to a better room with a view. When we got to the room on the very top floor, it was small, the air didn't work and the bathroom was oddly positioned. By the way, it was 105 degrees...We asked for another room and was promply moved to another suite on the 8th floor with a king size bed. At first glance, it seemed ok, but again, the air didn't work and we never saw anyone on the floor with us. They had moved us to a part of the hotel that they had't even finished remodeling. it was completely deserted. Maintenance came to "switch out" the air unit so we left to give them time. When we returned, all electricity to the room was out. We couldn't see a thing. They didn't contact us or even leave a note on the door to let us know. So, we were moved again, to the 11th floor this time. Oh yeah, it was the only room left and it was on a "smoking allowed" floor. Neither me or my companion smoked. This room was just like the 1st room, except the air actually did work. They told us we could move in the morning if we still weren't satisfied. I told my companion "what's the point. Apparently all the rooms look this way. At least this room has air." So we stayed. The elevators were slow and only fit 6 people at a time. There was no ice area on the floor. You had to go to the bell hop desk and request a bucket each time. The maid service cleaned the room each day, but we had to ask for towels. They took the used towels and didn't replace them. We signed up for internet service and was given a login name and password. I never even got to the site I was looking for because the service cut out. I called the front desk and they simply said..."its been down for a while. I'm surprised you got on at all." We tried to stay away all day and just return to sleep. This place was a nightmare. On our last day, we checked out at 2am, had to catch a shuttle van and was rushing so we forgot our personal portraits we had drawn on the streets earlier. We tried to call and have someone get them out of the room before the maids found it and threw them away. I thought we could have them mailed to us. After all, they did have our credit card information on file. They told us to call back after 8am and someone would check. We called back several times between layover stops and got the runaround. Finally, by 10am, they said the room had been cleaned and they didn't find any portraits and the maid must have thrown them away. How could it be both. Did they throw them away or did they not find them. The whole time we were there, the maid service never showed up until after 11am. So, why on this day, had they already come and gone by 10am, found nothing, even after we had been calling since 2:30am to inform them that we had left something important in the room? It makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would they throw the portraits out or why would they keep them? The staff was simply not accommodating in the matter and could have cared less. I would never stay here again, nor recommend this hotel to anyone I knew and loved....or even hated.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple