“great stay on the east side”
Review of The Bentley Hotel

The Bentley Hotel
Ranked #246 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Massapequa, NY
“great stay on the east side”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had to visit NY for a couple of nights and stayed at The Bentley hotel on East 62nd street.
I was treated very warmly upon my checking by Roopesh at the front desk and he had a room facing the East River waiting for me. Great view of the 59th street bridge and Roosevelt Island tram. Very easy walking distance to the major avenues.
The room was small, but very nice. We had a king size bed and enough room to move around. The hotel was very well maintained. I didn't care for the breakfast buffet as it was advertise to be open at 6:30, but wasn't ready for guests till after 7. Scambled eggs were cold. I'll go down the block to a diner next time.
All in all I would stay there again ( actually have booked for a stay next week).

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the East River
1 Thank ManU56
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear ManU56,

Thank you for your kind review on trip advisor. It is great to hear that you had a amazing time when staying with us. I am glad that the whole team and especially Roopesh made you feel comfortable during your visit. I am very sorry that your experience with the restaurant was not as pleasant but I will definitely forward your comments to our executive team to address your concerns. Please reach out to me next time you are planning a trip to New York, I will be happy to assist you.

Esmee K.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Stayed from 31st Aug to 3rd Sept 2013. The room was a decent size with floor to ceiling windows looking across the street to other buildings on one side and the Queensborough bridge and East River on the other. Bars and restaurants within easy walk, Central Park and Times square a bit further BUT, no air conditioning in hallways and elevators not up to the job - waited a long time on several occasions and walking down several flights of stairs not an option in temps in the 90s, en suite was a wet room which was OK but no shelves or storage for toiletries whatsoever (not a difficult problem to solve. Air conditioning in our room was very noisy.Finally this was our 7th hotel on our trip to USA and the only one which did not provide free wifi - for someone like me who only wants to check and send the odd email to family and use the internet for info and directions about the locality it isn't worth paying 12 dollars a day - penny pinching I think.

Room Tip: Check they've improved the elevators, have storage in the bathroom and have introduced free wifi...
1 Thank SKHatIsabella
John S, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Good Morning SKHatlsabella,

Just wanted to offer a quick reposnse to your mediocre stay with us, recently. Please accept our apology that we were unable to exceed your expectations.

Your absolutely correct, we do not currently have central air conditioning on the guest corridors. We understand that this could get a little uncomfortable while waiting for the elevator. This is something that we are looking to address for future capital improvements.

Storage for guest toiletries is something that was not considered when designing our current guest rooms. Your feedback is well-received and I can certainly appreciate the minimal space for guest belongings in the bathrooms.

Hopefully our maintenance team had the opportunity to address your loud air conditioner. From time to time, the fans do get loose and can cause excessive noise. We are very experienced in resolving these types of challenges in a very efficient manner.

Thank you for your perspective on the fees associated with the WiFi connection. All guest feedback is collected for future property decisions.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Bentley hotel and demonstrate the service levels that we typically, traditionally and so frequently offer. Thank you for your candid feedback; we do appreciate it.

Columbus, OH
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My husband and I were in New York the last week of August and stayed 3 nights. The room was bigger than others we have stayed in in NYC, and the bed was very comfortable. The location was perfect for us- close to our daughter's apartment and school, with lots of good places to eat nearby. As other people have mentioned, it would have been nice to have free WiFi. Our air conditioner, unfortunately, was loud enough to interrupt our sleep. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kathy L
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Kathy L,

Thank you for your great review on trip advisor. I am glad that you had a good time and enjoyed the location while staying with us. We truly are in a lovely neighborhood. I am sorry to hear that you were facing difficulties with the AC. Please note that we have a 24/7 maintenance team who would have been more than happy to address this issue for you. Please do reach out to me next time your travels bring you to NYC, I look forward to welcoming you.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed Aug 29-Sep 2 and had a nice overall stay. The location is decent, though a bit of a walk to the nearest train station. There is a running path that goes along the water just steps from the door. There are plenty of restaurants and pubs just a block or two away. The employees at the hotel were not rude, but certainly weren't welcoming. The room itself was decent sized for NYC standards. The pictures online though do paint a bit of a brighter picture than what you actually get. The elevators are horrible! We waited 10 minutes one night without AC in the hall. Suggestion - pony up the $$ to put AC throughout the hotel. It had to be 100 degrees in the hallway. AC in the room wasn't great either. It could have been cooler. The best we could get it down to was 71 degrees. The room though was clean and the bed was fairly comfortable. We booked via Travelocity and I thought for the 4 night stay, we got a good deal. One more thing about the location, if you like to walk, you are within reach of Central Park (walked to the Loeb Boathouse), Times Square, and even Penn Station. Again, overall not bad for the price.

1 Thank skorchkatrina
Hello skorchkatrina,

Thank you for choosing The Bentley during a recent trip to New York City. Sorry that some aspects of your stay were not great; I would like to hear more about the unwelcoming staff, when the time permits. I can be reached at jsinclair@amsterdamhospitality.com.

We did have a few challenges with one of the elevators during your stay. Sorry that this affected your experience and ultimately your discomfort while waiting in the corridor. Hearing that the coolest your room got was 71 degrees is troubling, please let me know your room number and I would like to personally investigate this.

In closing, thank you for your feedback, it assists us in improving the operation and the level of service we provide our guests. We hope that The Bentley is in your travel plans for future trips to New York, so we receive another opportunity to demonstrate the true Bentley experience!

Belmar, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here for 5 days in August, and I didn't want to leave! I felt so spoiled by both the physical amenities and the staff. First, the physical. I had a Junior Suite on the 20th floor. When I first found the room location, I was wary. I had read reviews about noise from the restaurant trickling down, and I was directly under it. Only twice during the entire time was I even aware of the restaurant, and it was very muted sounds, not bothersome at all, more like a very low background sound. Also, my room was directly across the hall from the 3 elevators. This concern also turned out to be unfounded, as I didn't hear the elevators at all. I was prepared to request a different room, but it wasn't necessary at all. The room itself was lovely. The shower amenities were to die for. I guess I should complain here, as they were very high end and I loved them so much I ordered them online - but the very first time I used them I got compliments on my hair, so I HAD to get them :-) I loved, love, loved the bedroom in the suite. Incredibly comfortable bed and at night I turned off the lights, opened the curtains and enjoyed the lights of New York. Beautiful. I was on the York Ave side, so I couldn't see the river, but I could see high rise apartments, some with gardens on the roof. I could see the Roosevelt Island Tram, which is enchanting. Minibar was full of great choices, including at least 6 kinds of vodka, a few different rums, 2 brands of tequila and at least 10 non-alcohol choices. Of course it was expensive - find me a minibar that's not! But I didn't think it was out of line. The only thing I had was a package of Pepperidge Farm Goldfish for $4. I was starving in the middle of the night and had to have something! They were fresh, not a trace of staleness, and it was a decent size bag. I didn't feel ripped off at all. There's a keurig coffee maker in the room, and the K-cups are $2.50 each. I expected this, and brought along a bunch of Starbucks Via instant coffee packs. Problem solved. The little two-person table in the room showed some wear, but it was not a big deal. I found the room to be extremely clean & comfortable. The single complaint I had was the spottiness of the wifi service. It's my understanding that some rooms are better than others, but I don't know if that's true. All I know is that I was repeatedly disconnected & it was really frustrating. I would say if you absolutely have to do anything online while you're there, make sure you mention it in the booking process and verify that you'll have wifi in your room. In my case, I was able to access it in public areas. which was ok for my purposes (mostly).
All in all, I'd rate the room a 9 out of a possible 10, and it's only knocked down a point due to the wifi. And then there's the people. if the room was a 9, the staff was a 15. I don't know if I have enough superlatives to describe my experience. From my very first contact when I reserved the room, to the final "Thanks very much for staying with us," every single staff member was warm, friendly, and genuinely willing to help. When I came off of the elevator I usually got a "Good Morning" or "Hello" from the Front Desk personnel, unless of course they were helping someone else. The bell staff initiated light friendly conversation, and never in a creepy way. They said "Can I get you a cab?" Not "Do you want a cab?" The bartender at the Lobby Bar said "Let me get your change" not "Do you need change" which is a personal peeve of mine. I hate when service people act as if they're doing me a favor, and I never once felt like that. A couple of times I also saw them pick something up from the floor, none of the "I'm not housekeeping" attitude. It's obvious that the manager knows what he's doing when it comes to hiring. Without exception, they seemed to enjoy the hotel, each other, and most important, the guests. I just loved the Bentley. I will stay here again. I will bring my family & have already recommended it to friends and colleagues. It's a gem.

Room Tip: Ask about the view and wifi service!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear Jeane W,

Thank you very much for you great review on trip advisor which was beyond refreshing and motivating. I am thrilled to hear that each experience that you had with one of our team was an exceptional one. I am glad you enjoyed the room and its view which at night is even more pretty. I cannot thank you enough for your kind words. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me next time you are planning a trip to NYC. I will be more than happy to assist you with future bookings.

Beaumont, Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2013

There was literally nothing negative I could say about this hotel as it was probably the best experience I have ever had. The rooms were exceptionally large, extremely sanitary, the staff was overly helpful and courtesous and always prompt. The icing on the cake was that the room for 4 nights was anywhere from 300-400 dollars cheaper than anywhere comparable.

I had read to request a corner room on a higher floor, which we did and it was exactly as billed. The room change came at no extra charge and it gave a 3 corner view of the upper east side and the Queensboro bridge. Beautiful views at night and within 3-4 blocks of the nearest subway with taxi access also a breeze. The hotel was quiet and great for singles or families. Would without a doubt stay here anytime I find myself in NYC.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Curtis F,

Thank you for your great comments on trip advisor. I am glad that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us and that everyone of my team made you feel comfortable. I look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to the city. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me.

San Francisco
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

No coffee in rooms! You have to go to the lobby and pay Starbucks prices! Lobby was dirty-coffee or other brown spots on the couches. I remember thinking "don't they train the housemen to look for this stuff and wipe it up right away?" Seemed like the place is either going out of business or about to be sold. Staff very zombie-like. As if very disgruntled. Could not care LESS about guests or providing exemplary service. It's as if they know they're the only accommodation within a 15 block radius under $400/night so they don't care what your stay is like. You're lucky to have a bed at $300. The tub and showers had mold in them (I had 3 rooms because we stayed twice and were moved once due to the AC breaking down). The hallways are not air conditioned (very odd for a Californian during the worst NYC heat wave in 80 yrs). View from the top is good but food is greasy and very sub par. Sad, run down place over all. Lastly, the 90's techno music in the elevators is highly annoying.

• Stayed July 2013
John S, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hello funjunkie70,

I would like to apologize that we managed to fall far below your expectations.

Clearly, your experience contradicts the incredible amount of positive feedback we generally receive about our property. I am well aware of the stains that you are referring to on the main lobby couches. Please be assured, this is not by any means lack of our cleanliness standards and this is not something that we can "wipe up" as you suggested. To address this, would require re-upholstering the couch. This in our operational budget to complete in the near future.

Sorry your feelings about value for price paid did not align with the physical location of The Bentley.

I can confidently say that our rooms do not have mold in them. If you are referring to the dark spots embedded in the bathroom marble, this is from stone oxidation which is a natural process that happens in marble flooring and walls. We pride ourselves on incredibly high cleanliness standards and are sorry to hear you perceived this as mold. If you would like to provide us with your assigned room number, I would like to go and inspect this room myself.

Sorry you felt our staff appeared "zombie-like". My own candid opinion is our guest service levels define The Bentley Hotel and is the main reason the majority of our guests have great things to say about our service delivery, specifically on Trip Advisor. Perhaps this was an off-day at The Bentley.

As it relates to the food in Prime being greasy and sub-par, and the annoying "techno-music" in the elevators; thank you for the feedback.