“Great Service Compensates for Lack of Amenitites” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Bentley Hotel

The Bentley Hotel
Ranked #248 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great Service Compensates for Lack of Amenitites”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I had a decent experience at the Bentley. The entire hotel staff did make every effort to accommodate all of my needs, including my request to remove the wine from and to restrict my ability to access the alcohol in the room. In particular, I appreciated the professionalism and friendliness of the doormen and the housekeepers. For the most part, I felt welcomed by everyone and that did make my stay there enjoyable.

However, while I thought the size of and the amount of the furniture provided in the room were adequate, the amenities left a lot to be desired. The cable service experienced several interruptions and the air conditioning failed to cool the entire space, particularly during the latter half of my stay when the outside temperatures reached over 90 degrees. Also, it cost over $30 to access the Internet for only three days. I was surprised that there was no complimentary WiFi service, which was available at other NYC hotels at which I have stayed.

I would consider staying there again, even though its location was not very convenient to the city's main attractions. However, next time I will be sure to request a room on one of the higher floors, well above the sixth, as others have recommended.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
John S, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Good Morning darnellcw,

Thank you so much for your recent feedback about your stay with us here at The Bentley. I was happy to hear about the efforts and execution of the associates here at the hotel. As it relates to the quantity of furniture in your guest room, we thank you for this feedback and continue to take this to improve the guest room experience on an ongoing basis.

We certainly did experience significantly hot days a couple of weeks back and the Engineering team was working overtime to ensure the guest room air conditioning units were operating in optimal condition. I am not sure if you called down to request maintenance, but hopefully we had the opportunity to resolve your dissatisfaction with the climate in your guest room.

Cost for internet access is something we continue to closely evaluate. When we compare our services to our competitor hotels, charging for internet is still in place in many hotels. I do understand that many hotels provide complimentary wireless access as well; however.

Depending on your agenda while staying with us here at The Bentley, our location could be very favorable or left to be desired. If Times Square is in your agenda and a 40 minute walk is not, then a cab or cross-town bus are great alternatives. Many of our guests thoroughly enjoy the residential feel to York Ave and the far-east side and that is why they choose to return and stay loyal to us.

Thank you again for your feedback, we truly do appreciate it.

All the best,

John Sinclair

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We recently stayed at the Bentley Hotel for 7 days.

Hotel staff were great apart for one member of the reception team, woman with short black hair. She was horrible. It's as if she had a vendetta against us from when we walked into the door. Very unhelpful. Very rude. Not what we expected for our first hours in newyork.

Called in advance to get a high floor room with a view. She gave is a small room, low floor, no view. Room was flithy, electrical outlets were not working, there were socks and garments left in the cupboard from previous occupants. When we complained she was not helpful said nothing was available. Thankfully the night shift reception woman was lovely, she changed our room for us, provided resturant and lounge suggestions.

Other than the horrible clerk once our room was changed it was much more spacious, clean. Hotel staff was friendly and very accommodating.

Location is a bit far from attractions but only a short cab ride from time square and walk from restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Savvy-Explorer85
Good Morning stayaway1,

Thank you very much for your recent feedback. I am very sorry that we fell far below your expectations with one of our associates and a few other aspects of your guest room. I agree with you, that it is completely unacceptable.

If you would be willing to provide your room number and the dates of your stay, I will certainly fully investigate what went wrong with your guest room and how the associates missed preparing your assigned guest room, to high standards. From a filthy room to non-functioning electrical outlets to items left in a room from the previous guest; these are all unacceptable and I am committed to following up. As it relates to the location; you're absolutely right, if Times Square is in your daily agenda and a 40 minute walk is not, then a cab ride and/or a convenient cross-town bus are good alternatives. There are however, great restaurants within very short walking distance of the hotel; on 1st and 2nd Avenue.

I am glad to hear that your experience was more positive with some of the other hotel associates and I would like to assure you, that is what The Bentley is known for and pride ourselves on.

Kindly provide your dates of stay and room number and I will be sure to follow up with your circumstances and service failures.

John Sinclair
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a little out of the way but great value for money. The staff are super friendly, the hotel lobby is gorgeous and the rooms, the rooms which was a mini apartment are out of this world. Very spacious for a hotel in New York City and the worlds comfiest bed. Very clean, I would say this was a 4.5* resort. (Location is the only thing letting it down but you see this in the price of the hotel) fantastic!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear CHalliwell,

I am so glad to hear that you had a wonderful time staying with us recently. It is always very refreshing to receive such great feedback and we really appreciate it. Thank you for the great feedback that you have left for us on trip advisor. Please reach out to me directly next time your travels bring you into the city, I look forward to welcoming you.

Colchester, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

The Bentley impresses by its impeccable maintenance as you enter. It's clean, fresh-appearing, and bright. The staff is cheerful and eager to help. Not a glower or a smirk in the batch. Nice feeling all around.

Checkin was smooth and our car vanished soundlessly into the valet parking. No in-and-out privileges detracted from the parking.

In our room on the eighth floor, The carpets, the draperies, the linens all seem fresh and new, although the room felt small. Our two beds left little floor space, and the very small wardrobe would have been inadequate for a long stay. One real complaint was the lack of soundproofing; we heard our next-door neighbors conversations, even though they were not yelling.

The bathroom was tiny but clean, with a glass half-wall in the shower that risked flooding the floor and the room below.

Free NY Times in the morning almost made up for the Wifi charge. That was easy to evade with a short walk to the Starbuck's at First Avenue and 60th or (RECOMMENDED) Hot and Crusty at Second Avenue and 63rd (24 hours good coffee, freshly baked goodies).

It's a nice walking neighborhood, with the Queensboro Bridge and a lovely East River park just a few blocks distant.

Restaurants in the area are reasonable and eager to deliver. We took dinner out from Anatolia (Greek) on 62nd and had delivery from the Ritz Diner at 62nd and First Avenue.

Room Tip: Request a high floor for lovely views of the Queensboro Bridge.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Esmee K, Front Office Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear todbo,

Thank you very much for your kind review on tripadvisor. I am very happy to hear that my team was able to make you feel comfortable throughout your stay. I will definitely share your feedback with my staffmembers since they are very motivating and refreshing. I look forward to welcoming you next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the location - it was centrally located to everything we wanted to do. The staff (for the most part) was friendly and helpful - especially the front desk crew - we LOVE SU! They were able to locate a few really great gluten-free restaurants for us to try and were helpful when we had questions about the city. Only negatives; we reserved a double and received a king (which meant my son had to sleep on the sofa) and we had to request room cleanup on the first day since housekeeping never came by. I would definitely recommend this option when staying in New York.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear thgirlnextdoor,

Thank you for your great review on trip advisor. We definitely do appreciate your motivating and refreshing comments and I will share your valuable feedback with my team. I am so happy to hear that we were able to assist you finding some great restaurants to make your stay even more enjoyable. I look forward to welcoming you back next time your travels bring you to the city.

Lincoln, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

1 of our 2 rooms was not good - smaller, no closet, only 1 chair, no good view.
Overall, lobby, service for checking in, luggage, ice, and taxi was good. Nice Midtown location.
Good explanation of charges.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear thaophan,

I am glad to hear that you liked your room during your recent stay with us. I am happy that you loved the area and that you had a great time. Thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor, we truly appreciate that. I look forward to welcoming you next time you travel to New York.

Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Modern boutique w/ updated accommodations...very clean and very comfortable. Location leaves something to be desired. Close to major hospitals and colleges.
The restaurant (on the 21st floor) was nice but nowhere were we told it was strictly kosher; in itself a problem if you enjoy other than kosher fare.

Room Tip: Only 6 blocks from MSCCC and NY/Columbus Pres. Hosp. Easy 5 to 10 minute walk.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear charliez2,

I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed staying with us recently and you were pleased with your accommodations. It is always great to hear that you had a good time and we definitely do appreciate your feedback. Please do not hesiatate to reach out to me next time your travels brin you to the city, I look forward to welcoming you.