“Money grubbers......”
Review of The Bentley Hotel

The Bentley Hotel
Ranked #208 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The location was very convenient to where I needed to do business, and the room was clean and the view was great. Everything else was negative.
***it may have been Expedia's fault, but they could not find my reservation upon arrival, and despite the fact I had the printed confirmation, they acted like it was my error.
***there are 3 elevators; the middle one was "out of order" for my whole 2 day+ stay. And the other two had to be the absolute slowest elevators in the world.
***upon entry to my room, the hall light switch did not work. When I went into the bathroom, the bathroom light switch did not work till I played around with it (it was loose). I eventually just left the bathroom light on and closed the door
***Despite the fact that the Bentley advertises it has wi-fi, which they do, they fail to tell you it costs $12.50/nite. This is the first hotel I've been in that does not give you complimentary wi-fi
***the frig was stocked nicely with various drinks and there was a very pretty basket on the desk full of snacks. "Very pretty" until you see the price list! $7 for a half-sized bottle of water, and the prices went up from there.
***I was having cell phone problems, so I had to use the hotel phone for a long distance call. True, it was a long call, ~1 hr., but when I checked out, they wanted to charge me $153 for the call. I complained to the manager and she reluctantly reduced it to $124. She insisted there was a card by the phone explaining the charges and I insisted there was not. Too bad for me, I had to pay it. (I still may contest it when the bill comes).
***If you wanted a good, hot shower, you had to listen to a high, screaching sound from the plumbing, so you had to take a less than hot shower
***the clock was set for the wrong time and it was impossible to figure out how to correct it. When I told housekeeping about it, they said they couldn't fix it, "someone else had to". ?? Who??
***Room service? Yes, they have it; the cheapest thing on the menu for dinner was $16 for a hot dog. You want french fries with that? Add $12 more.
***be prepared to listen to your neighbor's conversations or tv programs; the walls are thin...-and ---
***finally, for my 2nd day, housekeeping failed to replace the towels I used the day before, did not give me new soap or new shampoo

I am pretty upset over the phone charge and wi-fi charge, but considering all the other charges and fees, this place simply over-charges for everything, and its not that great of a hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManager_1231, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear P A,

As the General Manager of the Bentely Hotel I would like to thank you for providing us with your honest and valuable feedback. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and am disappointed to hear your did not enjoy your stay with us. I would appreciate the oppportunity to discuss your experience with you and can be reached directly at the Hotel. I do hope to hear from you so that I may have an opportunity to welcome you back to the Bentley Hotel in the future. I know we can do a much better job of provding you the levels of service you deserve as our valuable guest.

Jennifer Baldwin

Write a ReviewReviews (3,915)

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I would like to give review on this hotel. It was a pleasant stay and the staff were great. Jose was so amazing and treated me and my boyfriend with the best service. I'd recommend this hotel and come again.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Bukurta,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Bentley Hotel. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stay at the Bentley because of it's great location near MSKCC where my husband is a patient, so YMMV for those coming for vacation with different needs. This was our 2nd stay here and it's good for the price and the price is good for the location. Surprisingly, despite staying here a year ago we were told there was no record of our prior stay in their files. The MSK rate was $150 for a weeknight in Feb. Our 1st visit last year we were upgraded to a 1BR suite, and we certainly missed it this time around: Our room was small and overlooked a dirty rooftop below with HVAC machinery, although the bridge view at night was very nice (and the darkness hid the machinery). Agree with a previous poster that not having any coffee/tea making facilities is a bit of a drag. Even an electric kettle would be nice. Our room didn't have any coffee machine, pay or not, although other rooms seem to have a Keurig from prior reviews? We ended up having to request a microwave + a mini-fridge as my husband was on a 24-hour restricted diet prior to some tests, which cost an additional $35. We had to make him broth, herbal tea, and keep jello cold so we really didn't have an option. All of the staff is exceedingly polite and pleasant, we've never had any issues there. Water pressure in the bathroom was fantastic with plenty of hot water. Bed very comfortable.The hotel is nicely decorated and the location is fantastic. There's a zillion neat restaurants over on 1st Ave and the surrounding area, and easy access to groceries, wine/beer stores, etc. I think it's a very solid choice for the UES, especially considering many of the other local hotels run $100+ (and much higher) a night. Just be prepared for a few quirks.

1  Thank Beth B
GeneralManager_1231, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear IsabelOh,

THank you for posting your feedback on the Bentley on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. As our loyal guest, please contact me directly the next time your travels bring you to NYC as I would be more than happy to make sure you have all the amenities you need to ensure a comfortable stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Bentley in the near future.

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Was here for a conference. Nice looking, clean hotel. But housekeeping was rather rude. It was 430pm and I was taking a nap, and housekeeping knocked on the door. I asked if they could come later as I was planning to be out to dinner in 1-2 hr. 15 minutes later she knocked again and opened the door and said 'do you need housekeeping?' And hastily just charged on in. She then proceeded to tell me she needs to go home. My question is, why is housekeeping not making their rounds until nearly 5pm?? Aside from this incident, central air was a bit difficult to control, getting too hot then too cold at times. Location is all the way on the East Side, close to some restaurants. Walls are very thin, could essentially hear the conversation going among several people on in the room next to mine.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear gatzbee,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback on your most recent stay at the Bentley Hotel. As the General Manager, I am disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience we may have casused during yoru time with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the Bentley as I would like to discuss your experience in greater detail. My hope is that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Bentley and provide you with the service and accomodations you deserve as our valuable guest. I know we can do a better job in ensuring your stay is a seamless one and look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Spent a night at the Bentley this past week after seeing a show. Had a nice suite. Relatively quiet for NYC. Good value for the price. Coffee was surprisingly not complimentary. I love the fact that they want to charge you $7 for a bottle of Fiji water.

Fine choice for a overnight in Manhattan. Large room.

Terrible TV reception.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager_1231, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on the Bentley Hotel. I am pleased to hear that you found our rooms to be spacious. As the General Manager of the Hotel, I apologize for the challenges you experienced with the television reception in your room. Please be assured I will be sharing your post with our Executive Team to review and respond accordingly. We take our guest's feedback very seriously and utilize it as a tool to assist us in making decisions that support the best interest of our valuable guests.. We look forward to welocming you back to the Bentley in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I may be of any further assistance.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We recently stayed at the Bentley hotel and what a great find it was! Honestly I found this hotel on a discount web site and I cant believe the quality and service we got for the price! The staff was extremely accomondating and the place is gorgeous! We paid a discount price and they upgraded us to a suite that was amazing! My daughter recently moved to the uppper east side and this hotel is located in a easy in an out with all kinds of restaurants and bars in walking distance! I will be back soon!

Room Tip: I went on several sites like cheap hotels and hotels.com and got a fantastic rate for a saturday nig...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear NorthJerseyWayne,

As the General Manager of the Bentley, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your ttravels bring you to NYC!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Booked online after reviewing hotel website beforehand - hotel room & requested view of the bridge lived up to its expectation. Room & linen clean, bed reasonably comfy & serviced daily. Reception staff & those contacted by email excellent.
Fairly good, quiet(ish) location. (for NYC which is the city that never sleeps!) Although 15 mins walk to nearest subway (Lexington) but which is fine, 25 mins to Central Park, though well worth the citylife views & fresh air on the way.
A/c adjusted on request & lightbulb replaced by maintenance within a few hours.
Even when loud music from a party in the Prime Restaurant on 21st (we were on 19th) was evident - thankfully it ceased reasonably at 10.30pm allowing for tired sightseeing residents to sleep!
Walls are thin & unfortunately some residents less than considerate when crashing open/close doors - but that's people not the place!
Restaurant good with great views - didn't use any other hotel bar/lobby facilities. Nearby to Food Emporium by the bridge & plenty of good places for breakfast/lunch/dinner too - Plus many Starbucks adjacent to block.
Would recommend a stay there - if you are sightseeing as very good room for the price.

Room Tip: Request a room with the Bridge view - if that's what you expect - plus complain or correct the i...
2  Thank MJW34

Dear MJW34,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Bentley Hotel. As the General Manager of the Bentley, I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we responded in a timely manner when you contacted us with a service request. We have an amazing team of people here at the Bentley, and I am happy to hear that they made your stay with us that much more enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back to our oasis on the upper East Side the next time your travels bring you to NYC.