“great hotel, fabulous view, nice neighborhood, bring ice”
Review of The Bentley Hotel

The Bentley Hotel
Ranked #200 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at the Bentley from Nov. 13-16 on a few days vacation. I had already asked for a highler floor
as the tripadvisor guest spoke of and also requested a view of the bridge/water. I was given a room on the 14th floor and the view was spectacular. The room size was, contrary to opionion on here, very large. I liked that the hotel was off the beaten path but 62nd and York, unfortunately is a long walk
to the subway UPHILL! The bus from lower Manhattan is an express bus and will put you four or five blocks from the hotel on 1st avenue.
The hotel was just recovering from Sandy and the receptionist at the desk insisted there was no internet. However, I was able to get it from my computer and hot spot so I don't know if that was true.

The nasty part of the whole stay was the ice issue. I was told if I wanted ice I would have to wait in the lobby for the bellman to fetch it for me or have it come up to my room as there were no ice machines.
However, if I wanted a coke there was a coke machine off the lobby with cans for a dollar.
I also had dry cleaning delivered from a local cleaners which I tried to retireve when I came back from my day only to be told they weren't delivered. The cleaners said they were. I was informed that the bellman would deliver them to my room in a few hours. After insisting I have them now they brought them up.
All this for tips?? Really.

At any rate, I would stay at the Bentley again as my room was so beautiful, clean, comfortable and even had a chair and ottoman to sit and soak up the gorgeous view.

Room Tip: upper floor overlooking Queensboro Bridge Every room has paper thin walls so you might bring earplu...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
GeneralManager_1231, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear newtosouthamerica,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feeback. As the General Manager I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at the Bentley. Please be assured our staff is committed to providing the highest levels service and want to ensure they take care of all guest requests including ice deliveries. We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Bentley in the near future.

Jennifer Baldwin

Write a ReviewReviews (4,004)

Reviewed November 22, 2012

We booked into The Bentley for 5 days to celebrate our honeymoon. The journey from JFK wasnt too bad (approx half hr during rush hour) and our initial impressions were very good. The lobby was very attractive and the staff were very helpful. We stayed in a room on the 11th floor which was lovely and had 2 very large beds! We had a very good nights sleep the whole time we were there.

The view was exactly how we imagined New York to be with a view of tall buildings one side and the river and Roosevelt Island on the other- very nice.

We were able to walk to eveywhere which was quite handy. Bloomingdales and Central Park only a few blocks away. There were plenty of places to eat and drink within the vicinity.

The only negative we had was that because the hotel is next to the FDR there was a lot of traffic noise, but then thats probably the same wherever you stay in NYC. Once we'd got used to it it was fine.

The rooftop bar and restaurant on the 21st floor is stunning. We went up one night and had cocktails on the veranda which was quite romantic. Stunning views!

Although the hotel charges for Wi-fi we roamed and managed to find access to someone elses which wasnt password protected and was on all the time! Definitely recommend trying to get away with that one!

We would quite likely stay here again if we ever get the chance to go back to New York.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a river view and higher up- might be less traffic noise
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear beepbeepwales,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Bentley Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC!

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Well I stayed in this hotel and my mother, Elizabeth Whitman clogged the toilet. It was about 12 inches and very circumstantial. We did not get a plunger up to our room for 2 hours and the whole room smelled like rotten eggs. But nice hotel definitely come

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Jetskifreakollie
Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here during hurricane sandy. The staff was extremely nice and helpful even during a hectic time. The one down side was we were told the restaurant was open until 11 and when we arrived at 1045 we were refused service.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Elizaboo182,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Bentley Hotel. As the General Manager I am so pleased to hear that you found our staff to be helpful during Hurricane Sandy. Please be assured I will share your feeback regarding the restaurant with their GM to respond accordingly. We do hope to welcome you back soon - preferrably when the weather is a bit more cooperative!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Had a nice, although brief, stay at the Bentley a few weekends ago. We had alerted the staff that we would arrive early in the morning after a red-eye from Seattle, and they were able to accommodate our requests for a room on a high floor away from the elevators so that we could sleep while others were checking out. The room was terrific - much larger than others we have had in NYC, with a fantastic view of the Queensboro Bridge. While the location is indeed a bit of a walk from major tourist sites, it was easy to get a cab and only 4 blocks to the nearest subway stop. We opted to find our own breakfast at a diner down the street, as the buffet didn't appear to offer much for $12.

Room Tip: We were in 1904, which was a great corner room with lots of space and great views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager_1231, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear trimatt,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Bentley Hotel. As the General Manager, I have to agree that our views are spectacular! We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We're happy we stayed here for 3 nights while we visited family in the area. We enjoyed our visit to this neighborhood and found many things to do and see around here.

Everyone working here was friendly and courteous. Having coffee available for purchase in the lobby bar in the morning was a plus for me. We enjoyed the beautiful views from our southwest corner room. Within a few blocks of the hotel, we found plenty of restaurants so we did not leave the neighborhood during our stay.

The bed and furniture in the room are super comfortable. The room and bathroom were very clean.

Like other reviewers, we did hear conversations when we walked to the elevators and I definitely heard neighbors on one side from one of the corners of our room but this did not interfere with sleeping or our comfort during our stay. We did not hear any noise from the room above ours. We too had problems with some of the outlets in the room not holding our plugs for laptops and chargers but we used the power strip in the room when we needed to do so. The elevators can be slow so we allowed more time to wait. Not a big deal to us and we enjoyed the music in the elevators.

Having a restaurant/bar in the same building was also a nice convenience for us one night when we did not feel like going back outside.

The hotel should offer free Wi-Fi like other hotels in the city. We used our cellphones for connectivity without any issues.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Dear seabird0855,

As the General Manager of hte Bentley Hotel, nothing makes me happier than seeing your posting of TripAdvisor stating that we exceeded your expectations! That is our top priority and I am so glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to NYC.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

The location is not bang in the center and we could have been spared the taxi rides but after a hectic day in NYC you want peace and quiet, then it makes this hotel a good choice. The staff were mostly mechanical and matter of fact but its city folk, they are made that way! No wifi during our entire stay due to hurricane two weeks back which set us back on doing any planning or reservations.

Room Tip: I requested a quiet room and was given a 16th floor. Considering that despite this we still heard tr...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear davinapreca,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback on your most recent stay at the Bentley Hotel. Although Hurricane Sandy did affect our abiliyt to provide wi fi service for some time, I am happy to report that it is not back up and running. I apologize if this caused any inconvenience during your time as our guest. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.