“A Nice Hotel, Clean & Comfy Bed”
Review of The Bentley Hotel

The Bentley Hotel
Ranked #216 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Recently stay at the Bentley room 1607 I think, it’s right off the elevator. My room was a great size for NYC there is a sitting area that contains a couch, TV and a table by the window. The sleeping area is in a little room on its own. A glass door closes you off from the sitting area with plenty of windows. The view is a partial view of the bridge but still it was nice to watch the cable cars go by. The bed was comfortable and the sheets felt and looked clean! The bathroom is a decent size single sink, and ladies two great features a glass shelf to place your toiletries the shower/ tub has an edge! Downside to the room the AC in the sleep area is loud and kept me up all night. I would start to fall asleep and then all of a sudden you hear a bang, I guess the compressor was kicking in. We had to keep the bedroom door shut do to the AC in the sitting area was not working. That part of the room was a sauna! I was only there one night so upon check out I let the front desk know of the issue. Hope they did something about it! Although I can’t complain too much because in the bathroom I don’t think there was a heat light or fan. So stepping out of the shower could have been cold. Location is not bad if you want to stay away from the hustle and bustle. But you are near the east river short walk. The subway is a bit of walk but that’s NYC, or you can grab a taxi. I do have to say if you are traveling alone this room might not be the right room for you. Since the bedroom is hidden from the front door you don’t have a view of the door. I know there is a safety latch but you never know. Overall I really like the room and the price was decent. Big question... would I recommend it...I would!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Bentley Hotel M, Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear M T-

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Bentley Hotel. We are so pleased you enjoyed your deluxe accommodations in one of our one bedroom suites. We too love the sitting area in the living room, the partial view and the spacious countertops in the bathroom.

We apologize that the air conditioner was so loud and disturbed your sleep. I have spoken to my engineering team and we have just received some brand new units to replace any that are not up to standard.

I hope we can welcome you back to the Bentley again soon! Please contact me directly at bcaspi@amsterdamhospitality.com for all future reservation needs.

Kind Regards,

Brett Caspi
Director of Rooms

Reviewed May 29, 2012

I am constantly in New York for business and found my home away from home. The style of the hotel is contemporary which I love. The General Manager is always very accommodating and you will see him often in the hotel lobby greeting guests which most General Managers don't care about. The front desk staff is professional and friendly. The doorman very helpful. I enjoy having breakfast in the rooftop restaurant which provides an amazing view. It's a great way to start a busy day and the prices are also very reasonable. I feel home at the Bentley and will continue staying there for business and leisure. My next trip will be with my two small children and husband and I know we will have a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Unfortunately, I have spent 4 weeks in this hotel for work over the past year. The atmosphere is like an awkward night club in which the elevators smell like Axe body spray, the hallways are dark and dim, and the rooms have zebra carpeting and gilded beds. Between the overwhelming smell of banana air freshener in the rooms, which seems to emanate from the filthy, fuzz-encrusted air vents, and the fact that the hotel gouges you $10+ per laptop per day for internet access, this place is not ideal for business nor pleasure. My eyes were puffed to high heaven every morning each time I've stayed due to the fumes because the windows in the rooms do not open, even an inch. No fresh air here. Also, the location is horrible and as a former New Yorker I must say not convenient to anything (not near subways, best restaurants, attractions, or even a lively neighborhood). The area is a deadzone by the freeway and an underpass, and you'll never see residents out walking the streets as you slog 20-30 minutes back from the nearest train. Due to the poor location, traffic noise and streetlights are also a major problem for a good night's sleep. The 'business center' in the hotel did not have a working printer so someone at the front desk was kind enough to print our items for us for the day's work. For the price, you could certainly rent a nice little apartment from Air B&B or similar (which we did at the end our our stay last trip, and couldn't have been happier to get out of The Bentley!).

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KristinCarlson
Reviewed May 27, 2012

A bit out of the centre, just at the East River, but not too far off-centre, walking distance (just about – allow 30 minutes) from Central Park, 15 minutes from the subway. A slightly eccentric but pleasant enough venue. Our room was on the 15th floor and was a spacious corner room with views on one side of the apartment block across the way, but on the other side a wondrous view of the East River and the Queensboro Bridge. Sound insulation generally poor, no double glazing but noise not intrusive. Light insulation more of a problem, a good blind on one side but only feeble plastic venetian blinds the other, very bright in the early morning. Service at reception varied from helpful and attentive to offhand. Concierge was accurate but monosyllabic. On arrival we found no safe in our room, so rang down to inquire, they refused to believe we did not have one. Eventually sent up a service person with a portable safe in his arms, did not seem very secure but the alternative was to change to a 3rd-floor room, so we stayed put. Also no hotel booklet or guidelines of any kind, were told this was being reprinted and would be available the next day, but 3 days later had not appeared. Looked for an in-room fridge but there was none, we were told they used to have them but took them away. There is a potentially attractive space on the top 21st floor for a restaurant, but on our one visit there we were greeted with indifference and the whole area was unattractive, so we left and did not return. In-house facilities generally poor, coffee shop on ground floor very limited and closes early, no water in vending machine, phones out of order while we were there. Overall a hotel with potential not currently being exploited to the full, seemingly being run by management focused primarily on reducing cost, this may work for them but not so well for us. Nevertheless an enjoyable stay, a fair balance between location, price and quality. Look for a room with river view, 14th floor or higher is best.

Room Tip: Look for river view
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I have recently been diagnosed with a very rare cancer back in January. My treatments require visits to New York every other week since February 3rd. The staff has been more than accomodating. They know us by name and have always been very courteous. They even sent my husband a small bottle of champagne when they noticed that my hair fell out from my chemo. Because I really don't have any idea when I'm coming to New York, sometimes I would have to call only a day or two before our arrival, and AGAIN, the Bentley would be there to take us in. Especially Brett Caspi !!! Besides the courteousness off all the staff, the location of the hotel is great, easy on and off the FDR. One more thing to mention for all you out there, the rooftop restaurant is terrific. The food is good, and the atmosphere is even better, but the view of the Queensboro bridge is breathtaking..it right there!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mia w
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I have been traveling to New York for many years and i have stayed to many hotels- but Bentley looks like is the best deal in town for many reasons.
First it has spacious rooms- great beds with very good quality linens and amazing views of the the city.! that is very hard to find at another hotel at this rate.
Secondly the hotel's personnel is very friendly and professional.
From the doorman to the front desk everyone treats you beautifully and tries the best to make you feel at home.
It is important to mention that Bentley has an interesting hotel concept that offers a very good deal to people who seek aesthetics, good space and basic luxury for their stay in New York city. To be able to offer incredible spacious rooms and beautifully decorated interiors at a very good price, the hotel has basic concierge services and that it perfectly fine with me.
Normally good concierge service can be found in very expensive hotels that charge a minimum rate of 500 $ and up for a tiny luxurious room per day.
Bentley hotel has a home feel -it has a cool charm- the location is great. It has a very good manager that is available to the hotel guests to assist them with any issue that may occur.
This hotel has lots of loyal customers that come often to New York for business or pleasure.
I would truly recommend Bentley to people that appreciate good service, good taste and warm people while their stay at a city hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Mikela V
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We liked very much the hotel, the front desk warm welcome, the location and the spectacular view from our corner room ! The only downside came from the noise of the air conditioning system. Otherwise a very good ratio price / quality / confort / location.

Room Tip: High floor, corner room overlooking the bridge is a must !
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family