“Bed Bugs...Never Again”

Ranked #245 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Baltimore, Maryland
“Bed Bugs...Never Again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

I went on a trip to NY to celebrate my sister's Sweet 16. When we got to the hotel the staff were nice enough to let us check-in early. The room looked nice, but we found a few problems. The bathroom door was very difficult to shut. The shower took more than 10 minutes to get hot and the drain was stopped up. We called the front dsk about the drain and when we came back to the room they fixed that.
The walls in this hotel are paper thin. You can hear people in the hallways and noise from neighboring rooms. On the website it syas they have breakfast available. However that breakfast is almost $20 per person and definitely not worth it.
However all of this was minimal compared to the bed bug rashes me and my sister left with. After only staying one night our arms were covered in bed bug bites. We have never had these bites before so we did not realize what they were til we got home that evening and diagnosed ourselves by looking at pics online.
For the price we paid for the room, bed bugs were not worth our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Lkay104

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (580)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

I stayed here for one night for my birthday in New York. The rooms are not like they appear in pictures. The view was nice. I breakfast was not worth the cost. The biggest problem I had was the discovery of bed bug bites all over me the next day. It was horrible! I would never stay here again and pay as much as I did just to get bitten to death by bed bugs.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank ekay716
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

The bentley was so outstanding that they even had umbrellas in the room. The location can't be beat. The staff was magnificent. The ambiance was totally luxurious. The room was remarkable and spectacular especially at night. I absolutely loved it, but what I loved most was the love you felt with the staff and especially Helena. The breakfast buffet was like no other buffet with all kinds of fresh fruit, like kiwis, big juicy sausages, fluffy pancakes, hot and cold cereal, all kinds of pastries, bagels, specialized teas and coffee, juice, fresh cream with a view of sitting on top of New york city and a staff that didn't even wait for you to ask before they had what you needed. A newspaper at every table. These people got hospitality down to a science and they loved making sure that you were pleased in every way. We were greeted with fresh fruit and blue bottles of water from new york and post cards. All I can Say is why stay anywhere else. The Bentley has 4 stars for hospitality, ambiance, location, price, comfort, style, and last but not least Helena the manager.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank hotsharon54
Manhattan Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2011

I recently stayed here for two nights for a Yankee Stadium visit for a Friday/Saturday night stay. My stay was with my wife and two kids and we found the hotel to be clean accommodating and the staff friendly. The check-in process was super quick (I was tense that it was the first time booking through a 3rd party website). I read through a bunch of the reviews and don't get it, I felt that the hotel was a GREAT value and could have seen paying more for the room. We tried the roof top restaurant out for brunch on Sunday and for $17 in New York it was a bargain. As several people have mentioned the hotel is way East from the Subways, however there are plenty of cabs in the area at any time of day. Last thing and only drawback ... should provide Free wifi (not a big deal).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank AC340
NYHotelier, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2011
AC340,
So happy to hear about your wonderful experience, I hope to see you again soon with your family!
Promise to work on providing Free Wi Fi to my guests.
best regards,
CT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

I recently went on a three night business stay at the Bentley. I chose it due to close proximity of hotel to a nearby hospital. I arrived around 11pm, to find that there is no car valet. You have to drive to a nearby parking garage. The parking was not $20 a day as mentioned in other reviews, but $30.00 a day. After a long walk with my bags to the front door, I entered the smoke and alcohol stench drenched lobby. I requested a high floor room, which was denied, due to "all booked up", as I listened to a caller requesting another room, which was accomadated. They took my credit card in case, "you smoke in a nonsmoking room" (I do not smoke) although my company paid in full for the three nights. The hotel The decor was nice at first glance, very trendy, animal print floors, and nice linens. However, upon entering the room, the AC was SO noisy. The room smelled of smoke, which was mixed with mold smell. The carpet was drenched with leaking airconditioner fluid. I called the front desk to let them know, and they informed me that they would send a maintence worker right away. I requested another room, and they denied me again, and told me that this is what happens when you check in at 11pm. The maintence person came, and could not fix leak, needed more tools ets. I requested he not come as I had to wake up at 6am.
The front desk women were some of the rudest staff I have come across. I stayed the night, after the night manager said he would give me a much better room the next day.
Next afternoon, I had to explain my story again to the hotel staff, only to be downgraded to a smaller room. Thankfully it was much cleaner. Upon check out, I called down to request a final bill. They said it would be ready by the time I got downstairs. I checked out, and requested to make sure that they did not charge my credit card for the room, and the desk person said that everything was prepaid by my company, and there is no written/ printed bill to give me. What hotel cannot print out a invoice!!! Checking my credit card statement, of course the Bentley charged my card! I am not sure if they charged the company card, but I wouldnt' put it past them. Never again will I stay or send my coworkers to stay at this sneaky, uncaring, dirty hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank AmyCt
NYHotelier, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
AmyCt,
My sincere apologies for your unfortunate experience during your recent visit to Bentley Hotel. I must say that information about new parking arrangement has been posted on all websites for the past 3 months. In regards to credit card charges, unless Hotel has third party authorization form, we have no other way but charge actual guest credit card. This is world-wide Hotel practice.
I will address all maintenance and housekeeping issues in your room; hopefully I will be able to make up the room number from your picture. If you want to discuss this further, don’t hesitate.
Thank you again for your comments and feedback.

Denver,CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2011

The room was more than twice the size of our last stay in NYC. The area was not as hectic as Times Square and it was only 6 blocks to the subway. We went everywhere from there and walked several times to Central Park. The hotel staff couldn't have been more helpful and we loved the restaurant on the roof. Food and views were fantastic. Thanks Peter for everything!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Queensborough Bridge.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Sportsnuts,
I am delighted to read your feedback and the fact that you enjoyed our Rooftop restaurant make me feel very good. Thank you for acknowledging my Manager - Peter. We are so lucky to have him in our team! On a behalf of entire Bentley Team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Until we meet again.. See Life Sideways!
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed 6 nights in a junior suite. The wall to wall view was fabulous. We found the hotel to be very clean and the hotel staff very helpful. It was a 20 minute walk to Central Park to catch the hop on hop off or subway, but there were city buses at the corner if you didn't want to walk that far (less than a minute from the hotel).
Their parking garage was still under renovation but there was a garage half a block away that the hotel directed us to. At $30 per day it was still cheaper than a lot of places around.
We only had breakfast at the hotel so I can't say what their restaurant was like. The breakfast was $19 per person and if we didn't have complimentary breakfast included we would not have eaten there for that price. There were many restaurants within walking distance to choose from.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
BarbandSteveM,
Glad to hear you enjoyed your time here at Bentley! I look forward to seeing you soon. Until next time...Savor Life Slowly!!