“Loved it ........”
Review of The Bentley Hotel

The Bentley Hotel
Ranked #219 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 9, 2011

I recently stayed here for two nights for a Yankee Stadium visit for a Friday/Saturday night stay. My stay was with my wife and two kids and we found the hotel to be clean accommodating and the staff friendly. The check-in process was super quick (I was tense that it was the first time booking through a 3rd party website). I read through a bunch of the reviews and don't get it, I felt that the hotel was a GREAT value and could have seen paying more for the room. We tried the roof top restaurant out for brunch on Sunday and for $17 in New York it was a bargain. As several people have mentioned the hotel is way East from the Subways, however there are plenty of cabs in the area at any time of day. Last thing and only drawback ... should provide Free wifi (not a big deal).

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank AC340
NYHotelier, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2011

AC340,
So happy to hear about your wonderful experience, I hope to see you again soon with your family!
Promise to work on providing Free Wi Fi to my guests.
best regards,

Reviewed July 4, 2011

I recently went on a three night business stay at the Bentley. I chose it due to close proximity of hotel to a nearby hospital. I arrived around 11pm, to find that there is no car valet. You have to drive to a nearby parking garage. The parking was not $20 a day as mentioned in other reviews, but $30.00 a day. After a long walk with my bags to the front door, I entered the smoke and alcohol stench drenched lobby. I requested a high floor room, which was denied, due to "all booked up", as I listened to a caller requesting another room, which was accomadated. They took my credit card in case, "you smoke in a nonsmoking room" (I do not smoke) although my company paid in full for the three nights. The hotel The decor was nice at first glance, very trendy, animal print floors, and nice linens. However, upon entering the room, the AC was SO noisy. The room smelled of smoke, which was mixed with mold smell. The carpet was drenched with leaking airconditioner fluid. I called the front desk to let them know, and they informed me that they would send a maintence worker right away. I requested another room, and they denied me again, and told me that this is what happens when you check in at 11pm. The maintence person came, and could not fix leak, needed more tools ets. I requested he not come as I had to wake up at 6am.
The front desk women were some of the rudest staff I have come across. I stayed the night, after the night manager said he would give me a much better room the next day.
Next afternoon, I had to explain my story again to the hotel staff, only to be downgraded to a smaller room. Thankfully it was much cleaner. Upon check out, I called down to request a final bill. They said it would be ready by the time I got downstairs. I checked out, and requested to make sure that they did not charge my credit card for the room, and the desk person said that everything was prepaid by my company, and there is no written/ printed bill to give me. What hotel cannot print out a invoice!!! Checking my credit card statement, of course the Bentley charged my card! I am not sure if they charged the company card, but I wouldnt' put it past them. Never again will I stay or send my coworkers to stay at this sneaky, uncaring, dirty hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank AmyCt
NYHotelier, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2011

AmyCt,
My sincere apologies for your unfortunate experience during your recent visit to Bentley Hotel. I must say that information about new parking arrangement has been posted on all websites for the past 3 months. In regards to credit card charges, unless Hotel has third party authorization form, we have no other way but charge actual guest credit card. This is world-wide Hotel practice.
I will address all maintenance and housekeeping issues in your room; hopefully I will be able to make up the room number from your picture. If you want to discuss this further, don’t hesitate.
Thank you again for your comments and feedback.

Reviewed July 4, 2011

The room was more than twice the size of our last stay in NYC. The area was not as hectic as Times Square and it was only 6 blocks to the subway. We went everywhere from there and walked several times to Central Park. The hotel staff couldn't have been more helpful and we loved the restaurant on the roof. Food and views were fantastic. Thanks Peter for everything!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Queensborough Bridge.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple

Sportsnuts,
I am delighted to read your feedback and the fact that you enjoyed our Rooftop restaurant make me feel very good. Thank you for acknowledging my Manager - Peter. We are so lucky to have him in our team! On a behalf of entire Bentley Team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Until we meet again.. See Life Sideways!

Reviewed July 3, 2011

We stayed 6 nights in a junior suite. The wall to wall view was fabulous. We found the hotel to be very clean and the hotel staff very helpful. It was a 20 minute walk to Central Park to catch the hop on hop off or subway, but there were city buses at the corner if you didn't want to walk that far (less than a minute from the hotel).
Their parking garage was still under renovation but there was a garage half a block away that the hotel directed us to. At $30 per day it was still cheaper than a lot of places around.
We only had breakfast at the hotel so I can't say what their restaurant was like. The breakfast was $19 per person and if we didn't have complimentary breakfast included we would not have eaten there for that price. There were many restaurants within walking distance to choose from.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple

BarbandSteveM,
Glad to hear you enjoyed your time here at Bentley! I look forward to seeing you soon. Until next time...Savor Life Slowly!!

Reviewed July 2, 2011

I stayed in 5 hotels - 3 of them in New York - on my most recent trip to the USA. This was comfortably the worst. Always a bad sign when the reception is dark and dingy - that's usually the smartest place in a hotel - and my room was similarly badly kept. Worse still the carpet was soaking wet - almost up to the bed from the air conditioning unit and it took major argument - and a 2 hour wait while they unsuccessfully tried to dry it - to get a room switch. By that time there were only smaller rooms available. I moved room and found no safe in the room and a connecting door that I could open. There was another door on the other side which did not have a handle on "my" side, but it would not have taken much for either of the catches to be slipped. I therefore put a chair against it and my luggage on the chair. Staff were rude and unhelpful - with the exception of Yara at reception.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank goonertraveller2
NYHotelier, General Manager at The Bentley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2011

Goonertraveller2,
Thank you for visiting Bentley; however, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. We find all of our rooms to be by far the largest rooms in New York City and very clean. I do apologize that you felt this was not the case.
In regards to AC leaking in your room - accept my apology. I was happy to hear that Yara was able to assist you. Again, thank you for for constructive criticism.

Reviewed June 29, 2011

I liked this hotel but it was on 62nd and York and we had to walk all the way to
59 and Lexington to get the subway. That is a big deal when you aren't using your car.
Complimentary coffe in the room would have been nice but had to go all the way down to the Starbucks in the lobby and pay for it instead.
Staff very helpful and if I needed ice or extra towels all it took was one phonecall and it came right away.
2 elevators so had to wait awhile to get on.
Beds very nice, rooms good size, clean also.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from eleavators
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Marygrace58,
I am so happy to hear your wonderful experience. Whether business or pleasure, I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 29, 2011

The Hotel is in great area, near Central Park and all the stores in 5th Ave. The staff was really nice. Room had a Great view to the beach, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom were clean, I got reservations at the last min. the price was really good. I will strongly recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Keyla24k,
I am so happy you enjoyed your time here at Bentley! We look forward to seeing you soon. Until next time...Savor Life Slowly!!
hblat@amsterdamhospitalities.com