“Hidden Gem”

NYLO New York City
Ranked #175 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

Outstanding hotel in a prime location with a great service team from the front door when you arrive to the bartenders on the roof top bar overlooking Manhattan. Gone are the tired old rugs replaced by sleek, clean and bright composite flooring giving the room a just waxed look and the feeling of true cleaniness.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear H9358BSrichardb,

Thank you so much for your fabulous review!

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay, as well as the location, and ammenities of the hotel.

Thank you for the recognition of our doorman, and bartenders. I will pass along the recognition to the team, as they greatly appreciate it.

We look forward to seeing you back soon!

All the Best,

Eugenia Simons

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Boynton Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

My husband and I spent four nights in NYLO and have nothing but praise for the staff and facility. We previously visited this hotel in its prior incarnation as On the Avenue and that was nice but the recent renovation takes this to the next level. The addition of a lobby lounge and terrace bar on the 16th floor make this a very convenient location for hanging out with family and friends. Craft beer and cocktails were wonderful - I love the "Green Cocktail" that is a variation on a Mojito but with vodka and cucumbers along with the mint. The on site restaurant Serrafina was also very nice and serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We were very surprised to find a lively three piece combo playing Jazz/Blues/Rockability in the lobby bar on Saturday night with no cover and fun music. Have fun in this convenient location near Central Park. BTW, my husband left his leather jacket in the lounge and the staff immediately put it aside for us, who says New Yorkers aren't friendly and accomodating?

Room Tip: One piece of advise, ask for a room without an adjoining door, the lack of insulation means you can...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear DAppraiser,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review about our recent renovations, ammenties, and services.

Myself and my team look forward to seeing you back soon!

All the Best,

San Jose, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

A local friend recommended this hotel as being a "new spot" on the upper west side. When I was younger I lived in this neighborhood and found it very appealing. Location is great - I was tired of 'just off Time Square" places that I had been using.

Lobby is nice and the bar is great. Service is good and I use it a lot before we went off to eat. Can't say about the restaurant in the hotel - some of the external reviews weren't great and there are really good places close-by.

I did put in for a room upgrade so had a deluxe room. Liked it. No fridge and seemed to have forgot the hair dryer but I didn't need it. Was very comfortable. I did wish they warned me about the construction next door as Friday 8am they fired up the concrete smashers - was a but rude, but that's life.

Elevators were fine - others complained, I've seen much worse.

Didn't get to see the upper balconies, but they did seem to be popular.

I would go stay here again. Close to the subway and I like the neighborhood a lot.

Room Tip: Get away from construction side.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Matt321
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Matt321,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am extremely happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's services, product and recognition of our staff! Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

Grasonville, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is a nice, clean, trendy hotel on the Upper West side, a great location away front the hustle and bustle of the Times Square area and near great shops and restaurants. Loved the valet staff, Lenny and Greg who were accommodating and gave great service. Rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Beth W,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay! I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's services, product and recognition of our staff especially regarding Greg and Lenny. Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Took our niece to NYC for her 21st birthday. Her first time in NYC, and our first time at the NYLO. Good location on the Upper West Side with easy access to the subway, Central Park and many restaurants and bars in the area. The hotel is in good shape with the rooms being recently remodeled. Our room was described as a "suite" in the hotel website; however, it was an enlarged single room. The hotel GM offer us a reduced rated to address our concerns.

Dear John B,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay! I am happy to note that you enjoyed the hotel overall. Thank you for your wonderful note on the hotel's services and product. Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

Mill Valley, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Fresh, clean, new rooms at very competitive price. Fantastic location, and excellent dining at Serafina onsite. Loved the European café feel of lobby day and night. Courteous, professional, service-oriented staff! We had a terrific stay!

Dear Angie C,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff! Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

Los Angeles, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Simply put...The NYLO is a great place to stay. I just a finished a Three day stay that was perfect for us. My wife and my 5 year old Daughter. The hotel has a hip feel and look, with an extremely professional and courteous staff, which made it that much more enjoyable. We really appreciate it. We will be Back! Thank you.

Dear Eric S,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's services, product and recognition of our staff! Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

I am happy to note that you will consider returning to NYLO NYC!