“Amazing”
Review of NYLO New York City

NYLO New York City
Ranked #184 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 6, 2014

My husband and I recently travelled to New York to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. A friend had recommeded NYLO hotel, and after some searching, we decided to book our week with them. We had the most amazing trip and alot had to do with where we were staying and the people who work there. The staff was very friendly, accommodating and very helpful. The bar downstairs has the most amazing staff and made us feel like family by the weeks end. We were very sad to leave and had to say goodbye to them. It truely felt like leaving family. The rooms were clean and quiet and the upstairs open patio was a very relaxing place to lounge after a hard day of site seeing. I cannot say enough about this hotel. I would highly recommed this hotel to everyone. Enjoy and thanks NYLO for making our 30th wedding anniversary trip a complete and wonderful memory.

Room Tip: view inside and not on street.
3  Thank Colleen S
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Dear Colleen S,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay! I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's services, product and recognition of our staff! Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

Eugenia Simons

Write a ReviewReviews (5,554)

Reviewed June 6, 2014

My stayed at NYLO Hotel , formally One the Avenue, was excellent. I had stayed at this hotel many times during the past 7 years, and last year during the transition there were many problems. I am very pleased to say that it appears the problems I encountered before had been addressed and my stay this time was excellent. My husband and I were upgraded to a suite with two balconies and it was delightful. The rooms are very clean and the beds are the best beds I have slept on in any hotel ( and that includes the Sofitel and Kimptons which also have nice beds but NYLO wins)
Nick, at the front desk, is terrific. He has been with the hotel for quite a while and has always quickly addressed any concerns we had and is always extremely gracious. He makes all guests feel welcome as soon as they arrive.
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay on the upper west side of Manhattan.
M. Goldin

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank mgoldin_12

Dear mgoldin_12,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay! I am extremely happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's services, product and recognition of our staff especially with Nick. Your comments will be passed onto our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

An intimate yet lively hotel with a fun lobby that is open to the street and feels accessible. Friendly staff who helped us when we decided we wanted a different room. Nicely designed rooms with efficiency in mind with muted colors and really comfortable beds. Casual feel yet alert to the guests - nice combo.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

We were staying here for a few nights to attend a formal wedding event and a visit to NYC.

When we checked in we were shown to our room, which was quick What the.....! It was quite, quite small, not even a chair. I could not see my self flopping on the bed in a tux waiting for my wife to finish dressing.l The bathroom was so small that one person would have issue. The restroom in an Amtrak coach is bigger!

The bellman sensing the disaster unfolding, took it upon himself to call the front desk and request a different room. We went immediately to a slightly larger room with a chair and desk, and a larger bathroom, but still only for one at a time.

We went for a walk and returned to the room to find the air-conditioning was not functioning. A call to the front desk had a repairman up withing five minutes. A quick assessment indicated that the problem could not be fixed quickly. He said he was going to the front desk to tell them of the issue and request we be moved. Wirthing moment, a bellman showed up to move us to an identical room, with functioning A/C.

The rooms are sparsely appointed, but the bed was quite comfortable, erring on the soft and plush side. The oddest part was the absence of towel bars in the bath room. The fresh towel is placed on a shelf, but after use there is no place to hang it. There was room on the wall for a bar, but why not have them.

Two free bottles of water are in the when you check in, but only for the first night. After that, buy your own.

The staff, in general, could not have been more congenial and helpful. The would have fit in at any of the Ritz hotels and could even have taught their staff a thing or two on courtesy.

One nice aspect of the hotel is breakfast, or absence thereof. While the hotel does not serve it, it is connected to a Serafina restaurant, and the prices are quite, quite reasonable for a nice breakfast. You are save rthe usually exorbitant price a hotel usually charges for in-house breakfast.

While the hotel is comfortable, it is nothing special. But the staff is one of the finest ever encountered.

Room Tip: A room on the back alley is quiet, even if there is no view.
1  Thank Ryewit

Dear Ryewit,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with the initial room you were checked into and the substandard HVAC unit which caused you to move. However, thank you for your wonderful note on the recognition of our staff. Your feedback will be passed onto our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

Loved the hotel, the location, the room, the bed, the staff. Only bad thing to say is the sink which is a little small so there is nowhere to put your stuff. The bar is fun and has live music sometimes. Love the location and the proximity to great restaurants and Central Park.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We stayed at NYLO in NYC for my 40th birthday weekend and had a great experience. We upgraded to a room with a balcony and it was worth it! Extremely friendly and helpful staff throughout the hotel. Very cool vibe and awesome location. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My nine day stay at the NYLO was consistently excellent from the spacious room with windows towards Broadway(no noise problem, just great view), the friendly staff at the door, at reception and the concierge (always willing to assist, requests always followed up on) mellow bar and library spaces and well working elevators (upgraded recently). Did I mention great location and neighborhood. Truly contributed to quality of my visit to NYC. Highly recommend

Room Tip: Enjoyed windows to Broadway on 5th floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Dear bonnie r,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments in regards to our front desk, bell, and door team. I have already passed along the word to the team, as they greatly appreciate it.

I'm glad that you thoroughly enjoyed the hotel, specifically it's location, and our recent upgrades.

Thank you for choosing NYLO New York City! I look forward to hosting your stay again in the future!

All the Best,