“Fantastic”
Review of NYLO New York City

NYLO New York City
Ranked #172 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This hotel was perfect! Great overall vibe to the place, a small but hip bar and fun rooms. I booked a penthouse room with a porch and an okay view. The price was fantastic and the room was super quiet, comfortable and cozy. I could not believe the size of the porch- had it not been winter I would have been out there all night. The hotel staff was incredibly friendly and everyone seemed to enjoy what they were doing. I would definitely stay here again. It is a great location- the subway is right outside the doors and there is a cute restaurant attached. This hotel has more of a neighborly feel than other places and it is the perfect west side place to stay!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Ebking22,

Reading your review makes me so happy. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your fantastic experience with us!

We look forward to seeing you here again soon.

Warm regards,

There are newer reviews for NYLO New York City

Reviewed April 14, 2014

I used to stay at a hotel two blocks away, but when that was booked, I got a room at the NYLO. I'll never go back. I travel to NYC once or twice a month, and NYLO has become my home away from home. The staff goes above and beyond to make you feel appreciated. Special call out to Jessie, who always remember me when I check in and always has a welcoming smile on her face! Although traveling can be exhausting, lonely experience, I feel like NYLO has become a second home.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear CurlyMichelle,

Thank you so much for sharing this amazing review with us! It really made my day. We are very fortunate to have Jessie as a part of our amazing team, and we will be sure to share this feedback with all of them. Thank you again for making us your home away from home. We look forward to seeing you here again soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

You talk about going above and beyond. The NYLO staff did just that. Colby front desk manager, Sara head of housekeeping and my hero Daniel the bellman, made sure were were safe and happy after an ordeal of getting stuck in elevator. Daniel was in there with my husband and myself and the baggage cart. He was so professional and kept me calm which sounds easier than it was - I was so scared. After the firemen got us out -the hotel staff got us lunch and made sure the first night of our stay was on the house. We have stayed here before and have reservations already for Christmas week. Very well trained staff- If you need a room on the upper Westside. NYLO is for you!! Say hi to Daniel for me.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Erzurum,

Thank you for sharing this wonderful review with us! I am so pleased and proud of our staff for taking such excellent care of you in an unfortunate situation. We all look forward to welcoming you back here in December. I will definitely let Daniel know you said “hello”.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

The lobby of this stylish Upper West side (great location!) hotel is hopping with busy lounge areas and bar. The concierge and desk attendants are very helpful. When our plane was delayed by several hours, Jesse allowed my daughter and me to stay in our room for a few extra hours.

Despite the busy lobby area, the rooms are quiet, comfortable and very clean. Good beds!
Katie

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Dear Katie L,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. Thank you for your wonderful note on the hotel's services, the product and recognition of our staff especially regarding Jesse. Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Loved this hotel! Was visiting nyc in march and stayed at the Nylo for 5 days. When checking in it was fairly early , so the hotel kept our luggage until our room was ready. They also upgraded our room. Never had a problem except i had to continually call for wash cloths. I would definitely stay again. The beds were marveoulous and the location was perfect. There is a subway station at 79 and 72. The nylo is on 77

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Mowaky,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this fabulous review with us! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our ideal location and our amazingly comfortable beds.

We look forward to seeing you here again soon.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

NYLO (formerly On The Ave) is a perfect West Side hotel! Small but staff is superior as is facilities for cozy bar, meeting up with friends or just the location for visiting local family or Lincoln Center/Beacon Theatre events.
They recently redid all rooms and lobby! While the rooms are small, the bedding is wonderful! (Just ask for xtra towels)
We had a deluxe room on the 14th floor with access to a terrace. Hoping they will have lounge chairs eventually.
PS, rates are fabulous - take advantage! Stayed at many of the local West Side hotels - this is by far, the best one. If you want to eat in....Cittarella/Fairway Market and Zabars are only a few blocks away.
Staff could not be more helpful! From Jessie at the front desk to Eduardo with our luggage all staff were welcoming and gracious.

Room Tip: Small deluxe room - 1404 on 77th street - noisier on Broadway
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear Barbara Y,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff especially with Jesse and Eduardo! They will definitely be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration!

Reviewed April 11, 2014

The NYLO NYC is at Broadway and 77th Street on the Upper West Side (UWS). This is a property that I have been staying at on a regular basis since 2003 (until recently it was "On The Ave Hotel" but has been refurbished and rebranded as NYLO). In short, this is a great "neighborhood" hotel. When I go to NYC I much prefer to stay in a neighborhood like the UWS instead of in midtown. If that's your preference too, then this is a hotel worth checking out.

The lobby has a nice, cool vibe and a friendly bar with great bartenders/servers who make some good craft cocktails. The front desk staff are generally friendly, though they can be a bit indifferent at times.

The rooms are fine. On the small side, but it is Manhattan after all. The bathrooms are the same as they were in the hotel's previous incarnation and, frankly, could do with a bit of an upgrade. The rooms are nicely appointed, beds are comfy, and if you get a room on the Broadway side you get a decent view of the happenings on the street below.

The one thing that prevents me from giving this a rating of 5, however, is the lack of any sense of recognition to loyal, frequent guests. The hotel doesn't necessarily need a loyalty program like you would get with SPG or Marriott Rewards. I don't want points, necessarily. However, when I stay there on a weekly basis (as I have been lately), and encounter mostly the same front desk staff, I'd appreciate some kind of recognition that they've at least seen me before! I guess there's nothing on their screens to tell them that someone is a repeat guest, even though I always book directly with the hotel and not through a third-party booking site. If the hotel gave some more recognition to its frequent, loyal guests that would make the experience better. In my case, this is my go-to hotel in NYC. I like the convenience, I like the neighborhood (which is where I once lived), and the hotel is good for the price. But once in a while I'd like to be treated like a regular, not a random guest.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Broadway. But if you're sensitive to noise ask for a room overlooking...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AndrewTStephen

Dear AndrewTStephen,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff! Your comments and feedback will be passed onto my entire team so they may be properly addressed. I have addressed the issue you experienced regarding proper recognition to our front office management team.