“Fabulous hotel....”
Review of NYLO New York City

NYLO New York City
Ranked #184 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

Loved this hotel! Was visiting nyc in march and stayed at the Nylo for 5 days. When checking in it was fairly early , so the hotel kept our luggage until our room was ready. They also upgraded our room. Never had a problem except i had to continually call for wash cloths. I would definitely stay again. The beds were marveoulous and the location was perfect. There is a subway station at 79 and 72. The nylo is on 77

• Stayed: March 2014
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Mowaky,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this fabulous review with us! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our ideal location and our amazingly comfortable beds.

We look forward to seeing you here again soon.

Eugenia Simons

Write a ReviewReviews (5,554)

Reviewed April 11, 2014

NYLO (formerly On The Ave) is a perfect West Side hotel! Small but staff is superior as is facilities for cozy bar, meeting up with friends or just the location for visiting local family or Lincoln Center/Beacon Theatre events.
They recently redid all rooms and lobby! While the rooms are small, the bedding is wonderful! (Just ask for xtra towels)
We had a deluxe room on the 14th floor with access to a terrace. Hoping they will have lounge chairs eventually.
PS, rates are fabulous - take advantage! Stayed at many of the local West Side hotels - this is by far, the best one. If you want to eat in....Cittarella/Fairway Market and Zabars are only a few blocks away.
Staff could not be more helpful! From Jessie at the front desk to Eduardo with our luggage all staff were welcoming and gracious.

Room Tip: Small deluxe room - 1404 on 77th street - noisier on Broadway
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear Barbara Y,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff especially with Jesse and Eduardo! They will definitely be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration!

Reviewed April 11, 2014

The NYLO NYC is at Broadway and 77th Street on the Upper West Side (UWS). This is a property that I have been staying at on a regular basis since 2003 (until recently it was "On The Ave Hotel" but has been refurbished and rebranded as NYLO). In short, this is a great "neighborhood" hotel. When I go to NYC I much prefer to stay in a neighborhood like the UWS instead of in midtown. If that's your preference too, then this is a hotel worth checking out.

The lobby has a nice, cool vibe and a friendly bar with great bartenders/servers who make some good craft cocktails. The front desk staff are generally friendly, though they can be a bit indifferent at times.

The rooms are fine. On the small side, but it is Manhattan after all. The bathrooms are the same as they were in the hotel's previous incarnation and, frankly, could do with a bit of an upgrade. The rooms are nicely appointed, beds are comfy, and if you get a room on the Broadway side you get a decent view of the happenings on the street below.

The one thing that prevents me from giving this a rating of 5, however, is the lack of any sense of recognition to loyal, frequent guests. The hotel doesn't necessarily need a loyalty program like you would get with SPG or Marriott Rewards. I don't want points, necessarily. However, when I stay there on a weekly basis (as I have been lately), and encounter mostly the same front desk staff, I'd appreciate some kind of recognition that they've at least seen me before! I guess there's nothing on their screens to tell them that someone is a repeat guest, even though I always book directly with the hotel and not through a third-party booking site. If the hotel gave some more recognition to its frequent, loyal guests that would make the experience better. In my case, this is my go-to hotel in NYC. I like the convenience, I like the neighborhood (which is where I once lived), and the hotel is good for the price. But once in a while I'd like to be treated like a regular, not a random guest.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Broadway. But if you're sensitive to noise ask for a room overlooking...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank AndrewTStephen

Dear AndrewTStephen,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff! Your comments and feedback will be passed onto my entire team so they may be properly addressed. I have addressed the issue you experienced regarding proper recognition to our front office management team.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Had a very nice stay in the NYLO, which could be described as 'hip' and appealing to the younger set as well as "cozy" with comfortable touches appealing to any age. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room spacious by NY standards and very comfortable and stylish. The lobby is great with a warm and comfortable seating area as well as a bar. You can't beat the location on the Upper West Side and access to the various subway lines, Central Park, museums, theater and a variety of restaurants. I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms on 77th Street are noisy due to trash pick-up at night on weekdays.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank SusancO940

Dear SusancO940,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff! They will definitely be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration.

I am happy to note that you will consider returning to NYLO NYC!

Reviewed April 10, 2014

if you have business, family, or friends in the upper west side this is a great choice. convenient to the museums and parks in the area; many reasonably priced restaurants (as well as the famous zabar's grocery and barney greengrass-the sturegon king) within walking distance; convenient to the west side subway system and uptown/downtown and crosstown bus routes. stayed in 2 different rooms, 708 and 618, on a recent trip. the rooms are spacious by ny hotel room standards; 708 was larger with a very nice size bathroom, rooms are decorated in an ikea-like style, the hvac system in room 708 was noisy and faulty, making sleeping and temperature regulation difficult. room 618 was smaller, but the hvac system worked very well. the tv in 708 was placed on a window ledge at an awkward angle to the bed so that prolonged watching would cause pretzel neck; would have been better on a stand at the foot of the bed; in 618 it was wall mounted.
don't expect to check in before the 3 pm check in time.
the staff was courteous, friendly, and the bellman helpful if you need a cab.
nice lobby bar and lounge if you need a place to hang.
overall good value.

Room Tip: as of this writing avoid 708 and perhaps the whole 08 line because of faulty hvac.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank midniterambler

Dear midniterambler,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. Thank you for your wonderful note on the hotel's services, product, and recognition of our staff. Your comments will be passed onto our entire team so they may be properly addressed!

I am pleased to note that you enjoyed the services at our LOCL bar.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed at the NYLO for 5 nights in early March, and our experience was excellent. We thought the hotel offered great value for the money. We've stayed in other hotels in the area that were much more expensive and much less desirable. The NYLO is in a lovely neighborhood on the Upper West Side convenient to the subway and offers easy access to the AMNH, the Met, Lincoln Center, Central Park, and other major NYC points of interest. The hotel has been recently remodeled and is modern, sleek, and clean. Rooms are small but comfortable, bright, and tastefully decorated. The bed was the best we've ever had in a hotel anywhere in the world. Hotel staff were helpful and polite, and the concierge made a special effort to assist us with dinner reservations. The adjoining Red Farm Restaurant provided the best meal we had in the city. All in all, a 5-star rating. Heartily recommend!

Richard & Kathleen S.

Room Tip: Upper corner rooms are best.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Kathleen S,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recongition of our staff! Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Everything about this visit was great....The hotel was clean, beds were comfortable, all staff were very helpful...All you needed was right out the door....restaurants, bakeries, stores, etc...I would highly recommend this hotel....and would stay there again....Thank you all for a very pleasant visit....

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear Cloud222,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. Thank you for your wonderful note on the services, the product and recommending the hotel to other Trip Advisor readers. Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

I am happy to note you will consider returning to NYLO NYC!