“Terrific stay”

Ranked #173 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Terrific stay”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Had tickets to a show at the Beacon Theater which is four blocks away. Immaculate room with windows that actually open (!). The bathroom was beautiful. Bed and bedding top notch. Plenty of storage and I loved the hardwood floor -- it just seemed cleaner than nasty hotel rug. Will definitely stay here again. Close to most UWS attractions and in a very hopping neighborhood. The Chirping Chicken, a block away on Amsterdam, was perfect for a late-night nosh. Breakfast at Serafina (in the lobby) was excellent. Keurig coffee maker in the room and a couple of free bottled waters was a nice touch.

Room Tip: We had an "inner" room in the back. Our view was of a brick wall but it was very quiet and...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear eddie0t,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay.Thank you for your wonderful note on the hotel's services, the product and recommending the hotel to other Trip Advisor readers.

I am happy to note that you enjoyed the services at Serafina and considering to return to NYLO NYC! The team at the hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Eugenia Simons

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (763)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Nice hotel: clean, friendly/helpful staff, trendy bar, and not terribly expensive. Stayed here for 2 nights while looking for apartments in the city and was quite pleased. Beds were comfy, bathroom was clean, and an overall good experience. It does look a little like an upscale hostel with the locker nightstands, but I didn't mind it (european hostel, mind you, I have less faith that a hostel in the US would look like this...). But anyway! I would recommend, if you're looking for a good area/convenient location on the UWS, easy access to transportation and a nice place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Casey A,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff! Your comments wile be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration.

I am pleased to note that you will consider returning to NYLO NYC!

Leawood, Kansas
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here many times and the staff always go beyond the expected to provide service or provide information. The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. On our last visit, my husband left an item behind and two days later we received a call that it was found.
The location is convenient, but quiet.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Vicki M
Dear Vicki M,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for sharing your feedback of your stay. Thank you for your wonderful note on the services, the product and recognition of our staff! Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

Park City, Utah
Reviewed March 18, 2014

My wife and I stayed at NYLO for a long weekend, seeing the Allman Brothers Band twice at the Beacon. What a find! Clean, comfortable, and quiet rooms (we spent a little more to get a room on an upper floor). Modern, spacious, clean bathroom, although the toilet paper holder was strange (vertically oriented?). A fabulous location, two blocks from the Beacon and an easy walk to the subway, a ton of great restaurants, and even to Lincoln Center. The lobby is comfortable and inviting, the staff was fabulous, from Nick at the front desk to every member of the bell and housekeeping staff we encountered. A good-sized room for Manhattan, and the price wasn't too painful either. We will be back (although rumor has it that the Allman Brothers Band will not).

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear zuckmeister,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for sharing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff especially regarding Nick. Your comments will be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 18, 2014

As an ex-upper westsider, I have never been so happy to find not only a hip, trendy hotel in the area but one that goes way beyond the expected. A great spot for my future girls weekends for sure but this last trip was for my daughter's 10th bday. The service was amazing from the moment we walked in. Adults and children were wow'd with the architecture and serious "cool factor," this first impression was only made better by the wonderful NYLO cocktail the adults were handed. After a long day and one travelling with children, I almost cried with gratitude upon that tray-passed delight. Quickly checked in and off to our room - we found the most beautifully, chic and perfectly minimalist rooms. Plenty of seating, hard-wood floors and nooks and crannies fitting all items including our suitcases perfectly rolled under what appeared to be a destined location. The lobby bar was a great meeting spot for friends, great little event spaces and a fun, happening scene at night. I honestly have nothing else to say but, I can't wait to book my next trip. Sans kids so we can enjoy the evening hours. Highly recommend NYLO Manhattan.

Room Tip: I would but then I would never get the room I want. Sorry!!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank kMoFinds
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear kMoFinds,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us. Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our staff! They will definitely be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration.

Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Great renovated hotel on the Upper Westside of NYC. Around the corner from the Beacon Theater. Great shopping and restaurants all right outside the door. Also walking distance to Museum of Natural History and Lincoln Center. I'm so glad I found this for my recent trip into the city. I used to live around the corner from this hotel when it was On The Ave. The renovations they made really brought new life into it. Stepping into the lobby, you feel like you are in a downtown location. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear Carman310,

Thank you for your wonderful note on the services, the product and location. Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

I am happy to note that you will consider returning to NYLO NYC!

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 18, 2014

The NYLO is a nice, new boutique hotel in a great location on the upper west side. The rooms are modern and the staff is friendly. The service is fine, but not at the level of top-tier hotels. But the biggest problem is that the elevators are unreliable. They are under constant repair (but never fixed) and are almost always slow. This is a huge problem if you are staying in a NYC hotel where there is constant traffic in and out of rooms by customers and staff. I know first-hand that this is not a one-time repair issue but has been a persistent problem for the hotel. You may have a nice stay, but one miserable 15-minute elevator ride could also ruin your trip to NYC. Stay here at your own risk...

Room Tip: There are creepy old tenants on the lower floors who the hotel was too cheap to buy out. Beware.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael P
Dear Michael P,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us. I sincerely apologize for the issue you experienced during your stay with the substandard elevator service. We have shared your review with our engineering team and they are being addressed properly.

I hope that you would give us the opportunity to make this up to you in the future. We look forward to seeing you here again soon!