“Fantastic for years”

Ranked #173 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Jerusalem, Israel
“Fantastic for years”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I have been staying at NYLO since it was opened as On The Ave. The accommodations are excellent. From the front desk welcome, warm and friendly, to the quality of bed, from the location to the new lobby, it is hard to imagine a better value in New York.

The new mattress is exceptionally comfortable and I slept better than I have in a hotel for years.

The new lobby is welcoming and creates a warm atmosphere for people to sit and work in the space rather than in the room.

The bellman went down to the corner in the cold and wind and, during a time when there were no cabs in the area, and stayed 10 minutes hailing cabs until he finally got one.

If there is one critique that the hotel can improve, it is the absence of a ramp directly from the front door to the lobby. There is a small elevator for the five stairs but a ramp would be helpful in terms of entering with luggage.

All that said, I highly recommend the NYLO for visits to NY, especially if you are looking to stay on the Upper West Side.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear rlasykes,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. Thank you for your wonderful note on the services, the product and recommending the hotel to other Trip Advisor readers. Your comments will be shared with our entire team so they may be properly addressed.

Eugenia Simons

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (763)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Toronto
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This is the second time I've been put up at the NYLO. It's a great place to stay on the upper west side. An organization picks up my tab but they'd only do that if the price was reasonable. It's right around the corner from the subway, across the street from Fairway Market, easy access to the museums or a stroll across the park, and close to great little restaurants like Fishtag. My room was nice - simple lines, clean and efficient lay out. And the service is great. Like others I found Jessie at the front desk to be very welcoming. And the renovated lobby is a great place to hang out. In fact, I wasn't sure if I was in the same hotel as last year when I walked in. I'd be happy to stop here again

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Dear kmacdToronto,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for sharing your feedback of your stay.
Thank you for your wonderful note on the services, the product and recognition of our staff, especially Jesse. Your comments will be shared with our entire team so that may be properly addressed.

Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The location is exceptional: two blocks from the subway and right on Broadway in the heart of the Upper West Side. The decor is awesome, with plenty of hidden "pockets" of space in the room and the bathroom. We had room for all of our clothes, luggage, backpacks, laptops, etc without seeing our stuff spread all over. If there was a little extra room it would have been nice to have a cozy chair in the room, but for the price we knew we'd be a little cramped. Still, the bed was King and super-duper-amazing comfortable, and the bathroom had possibly the best shower I've ever had in NYC (marble and glass, cove lighting, great pressure, perfect temperature control, and LARGE).

I really liked the the beautiful lounge areas, bar and business center on the main floor and regret that I didn't have the time to invite some friends over to enjoy them with me.

One of the best features of the renovation is there are electrical outlets everywhere you need them. Sometimes in older buildings you really have to search or even move furniture around to find a good outlet for your laptop, shaver, cell, etc., or if there are outlets, they're already plugged up with lamps and clock-radios. But not at the NYLO! There were probably a dozen available sockets in addition to the ones already taken up. I LIKE THAT!

A special shout-out to Jessie who checked us in. She noticed it was our first time at the NYLO and gave us a great room (within our budget) and free internet in the room for the duration of our stay.

Room Tip: The seventh floor has a little balcony railing and the window opened up to a decent size. I don'...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear GRANTFOTO,

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us! Thank you for contributing your feedback of your stay. I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and you had a comfortable stay with us! Thank you for your compliments regarding the hotel's product, services and recognition of our employee, Jesse. Your comments will be passed on to my team for whom it shall be a tremendous source of inspiration!

Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

This is my second stay here, and once again it was a great experience. Jessie at the front desk was as gracious and efficient as ever. I recommend this hotel and already look forward to my next stay here.

Stayed March 2014
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Marc P,

Thank you for staying with us here at NYLO New York City, and thank you for your amazing comment about Jessie, our Guest Service Agent. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to her.

I look forward to having you back soon!

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Boutique hotel in UWS that is pet friendly. There is an awesome lobby/bar. Some nights they have a live piano player which is a treat. Would recommend and return. Internet in the room is extra...you can bring your laptop/iPad to lobby for free internet.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Dear Rad79,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our hotel, and our services. I look forward to having you back soon!

Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed at NYLO New York in January while taking my son back to school at Columbia University. The staff was great, the hotel rooms were nice and clean, and the location is excellent. I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Vicky F,

Thank you for the wonderful comments about our staff, and our hotel! We look forward to having you back again soon!

Norwood, New Jersey
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I checked into the NYLO and the service at check in was just outstanding. Jessie, the front desk person greeted us warmly. I was with my 80 year old aunt, so even though our room was not ready, she worked hard to accommodate her and find a different room that was. She was prompt and efficient and really made us feel at home.

The rooms at the NYLO were very comfortable. I had one Jr. Suite that had a nice size seating area and a connecting room with two double beds. This hotel really is an AMAZING value for the money. I would highly recommend it and would stay here again in a hear beat.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Linda N
Eugenia S, General Manager at NYLO New York City, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Linda N,

Thank you for your wonderful note on the services, the product, recognition of our staff and recommending the hotel to other Trip Advisor readers! Your feedback will be shared with our entire team so they may br properly addressed.