“A Happy New Year” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #123 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Jersey, United Kingdom
“A Happy New Year”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed in a twin room for five nights at The Lucerne Hotel. It is in a really good location with a subway stop on the next avenue and plenty of good restaurants on the doorstep. Everyone is friendly and the rooms are comfortable. The restaurant is not part of the hotel but there is a door through from the hotel lobby. The higher up the building the quieter it will be. Avoid the second floor near the ice machine which is quite noisy. Security at the front door on New Year's Eve was impressive. We had a really good stay in New York. Thank you.

Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I decided to split our 10 day trip to NY into two hotels as I wanted to experience two neighbourhoods. We are a family of 4, two adults and two teen boys. Decided on the first three days at the upper west side as I read on TA there are fireworks on New Year's eve at Central Park. Deciding against going to Times square I narrowed it down to Hotel Beacon or Hotel Lucerne. Ended up at Lucerne for three nights as Beacon was pricey and also website not  great for booking at the Beacon.

Got the superior queen suite, 1224 on the 12th floor. Note this is not the superior queen suite deluxe. The two beds were quite small, more like a double, not a queen size. Has a small kitchenette, would be a stretch to call this a workable kitchenette. It has a microwave and some cutlery and crockery. No electric jug, only a coffee maker.The hotel is a beautiful old 1904 building, the room was well kept and compact, as you would expect for a building this age. The neighbourhood is atmospheric, straight out of Seinfeld and the West Side story.

The strength of this hotel is the very near subway line at the end of the street, a 2 minute walk, the A line which takes you down to Times Square and to other transfer stations. There is also the bus down to Times Square opposite the subway. I urge you to take the bus sometimes, it's great to see the changing neighbourhoods and also to observe the New Yorkers close hand.

Definitely visit Zabar's the renowned deli around the corner, you will experience real New York if you eat at their adjacent cafe. We ended up there several times. Could get breakfast combo for less than $10.

I paid $475 per night over the new year's eve, booking August for December - that's how NY is at Xmas. Really enjoyed our stay there, thought it was a bit pricey though. Was able to walk to the Central Park fireworks. If I could get a cheaper rate I would go there again.
I booked through booking.com, in hindsight I'd book direct next time, there were some paperwork problems that got eventually sorted.

Room Tip: Try and get the deluxe room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank yeowon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel early December for 5 nights and what a lovely stay it was. From the moment we arrived in the beautifully decorated lobby we were made welcome. The staff were very efficient and courteous. The room was spotless and everything worked as it should have. I have stayed in hotels in NYC on many occasions but for the first time I had a room that was quite at night with no street noise at all. We had breakfast on two occasions in the restaurant next door, whilst a little expensive , it was high quality with great service. The hotel is in a great location with lots of great restaurants and beside the Metro for easy access to midtown Manhattan. We will return to The Lucerne Hotel again. Well done to all.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Syracuse, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

I was in Manhattan on business and had a training in Harlem, so the UWS seemed to be a good place to spend the night prior. I had researched Upper West Side hotels here on tripadvisor, and The Lucerne was well-rated and the comments were mostly positive, so I thought I'd give it a shot. They self-describe as a "luxury" hotel, so to a guy that usually stays at the Hampton Inn, I was looking forward to seeing what it was all about. I did have a good, January rate, which helped.

Now let me start by saying that I want this to be a fair, balanced review. I arrived in the evening and the hotel has a doorman who helps you with your luggage (took it right out of the trunk of the cab for me). The lobby is very nice, clean and inviting. The front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating. So far so good.

I checked into my room, which was small/average by Manhattan standards. It was a decent, clean room, but far from what I would define as "luxurious." So that description seems a bit misleading. So my advice is to keep your expectations grounded. The bed was very nice and comfortable, which was a plus.

I noticed it was very cold in the room right away (my stay was during the "polar vortex" where temps were near 0 degrees. I turned up the heat (nothing fancy--an old fashioned wall unit) and noticed that cold air seemed to be blowing out of it. I figured that it's an old building and very, very cold out, and that it would warm up. Well, it didn't. I called down to the front desk, who were very nice and did send up maintenance right away. He then proceeded to tear it apart and try to fix it, while I tried to look busy. These are small rooms, so there is no "space" so to speak. Finally he realized that he would have to replace the unit. I called down to the front desk again and the clerk (manager?) did come up to my room and told me I could move to the room across the hall. So I had to pack up all of my stuff again and move it. This entire process took at least an hour, and keep in mind I was tired and hungry from travelling, and didn't really want to be spending time with the maintenance man in my small hotel room.

The heat was working fine in my new room, but the remote control didn't work and I couldn't watch tv, so they had to again send my friend the maintenance man up to my room to fix the tv issue. He had to move stuff around and do something with the tv (it wasn't as simple as dead batteries in the remote.). So finally he got the tv working, and I got to eat my take-out dinner, which had arrived during all of this.

I had breakfast at the hotel restaurant the following morning--Nice Matin. The steel cut oatmeal was delicious and the staff were nice. The front desk person also was very helpful with helping me to print a business document. As I mentioned, the staff were very nice. And the doorman did hail me a cab in the freezing cold, which was so appreciated.

Now I do understand that heating systems can break and I am willing to forgive that. And tvs can malfunction. Perhaps it was just my bad luck. But what struck me after all of this is that the hotel staff never offered me anything as compensation, as a gesture of their goodwill for all of the inconveniences. It really did somewhat further sour the experience for me. I don't mean that I needed a free nights stay, but perhaps a comp for breakfast, or some other such nicety?

I won't go so far as to advise people not to stay at The Lucerne Hotel. It is a nice place, with friendly staff, but not what I would call "luxury." If you need to stay on the UWS of New York then this is a good spot. The neighborhood appeared nice. But just keep your expectations realistic.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room where the heat is working properly!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
6 Thank andtherest
Bozeman, MT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Stayed at The Lucerne Hotel for 4 nights and enjoyed it. The hotel location is perfect, close to Central Park, subway and many good restaurants, bars and coffee places. The room was of good size for the NY standards, good quality amenities, internet worked fine. There is only one small elevator (I stayed on the 11th floor) but still it was quick and didn't have to wait long.
Breakfast was not included on my reservation so I didn't try the restaurant on the first floor but heard comments it is good.
Staff was friendly and helpful, always asking you if you need help getting a cab or directions.
I thought the hotel was a bit expensive.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014 via mobile

I stayed with my Brother for 6 nights over New Years. Nice room with 2 double beds, excellent level of service at the Concierge and helpful with the tourist advice. Good location about 10 minutes walk to Central Park West side. Easy to get a cab outside and subway goes directly to South Ferry. A great place to stay if you are sightseeing and wanting a relaxed stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We chose this hotel for a family vacation based upon the reviews in Trip Advisor. We were very happy with the choice. It is a lovely little hotel in a quiet neighborhood. The room was small but clean and comfortable. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. My daughter was very upset to leave her brand new stuffed animal in the hotel room. I was not very optimistic but I called the front desk and asked them to look for it. They called me back when they found the toy and they are mailing it back to us!
We will definitely visit this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family