“A keeper!”
Review of The Lucerne Hotel

The Lucerne Hotel
Ranked #133 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I'm sure the Lucerne will be my regular hotel for business travel (and personal travel when the price is right) in New York City. The Lucerne provides everything one would want in a hotel of its class -- comfort, cleanliness, safety, friendly service, convenience -- but with an understated/matter-of-fact/professional elegance and charm in a historic building that the big chains really can't recreate. All the staff (desk clerks, housekeeping, doormen and elevator attendant) were simply professional and courteous.

I was so pleasantly surprised when I arrived around noon just to leave my suitcase before check-in time and the desk clerk told me my room was ready! That was certainly unexpected and I'm sure it isn't something they can always do. But it was such a nice gesture that felt perfectly old-fashioned and considerate! I really felt taken care of. It was so nice to acquaint myself with my room and freshen up in my room (rather than the public w.c.) before quickly leaving for a meeting. As the workday turned out, I didn't get back to the hotel until after 9pm. How nice it was to simply return "home" to the hotel and head directly to my room! The walls might be a bit thin (I could hear my neighbor talking on the phone) and I had absolutely no view (just the shaftway -- but with a window that opens for fresh air!), but honestly this did not affect my positive experience at the Lucerne.

The location is simply perfect. I hate staying in midtown and, as an ex-New Yorker, always want a neighborhood-y feel. The Upper West Side is convenient for my work visits (which usually run the gamut from the Upper East Side and midtown to Village/Chelsea and Brooklyn -- and friends in all of the above), and a breeze for subway access to Penn Station. I'll be back!

There are newer reviews for The Lucerne Hotel

Reviewed May 11, 2011

I loved this hotel. A bit on the expensive side, but classy. The rooms are elegantly furnished.
The reception and the bell boys very helpful.
Subway just around the corner: Good restaurants, winebars, breakfast places in walking distance. Riverside Park. Lincoln Centre. Five minutes to beautiful Central Park.

Will come back!!!!

Reviewed May 10, 2011

A colleague recommended the Lucerne after a recent stay. The staff was most helpful, the lobby and the rooms are very nicely appointed and the bed was fabulous. I will go back.

Reviewed May 5, 2011

The hotel is well located nearby subway station in amazing Upper West Side, just a block off Broadway. Nearby amazing American Museum of Natural History.

The room was clean, small (not a big problem) but very comfortable, good view from window. Sometimes at night we heard noise from hallway.

Service was very good and helpful.

Had some problems with wireless internet connection.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Lovely old building with largeish, spotless (and bed-bug free!) rooms . Friendly and helpful staff. Lots of great restaurants nearby (Dovetail,Telepan and plenty of cheaper options along Amsterdam Ave). Very handy for the subway , Central Park and the Met and Nat History Museums. Air-con worked fine and windows opened fully (always a bonus). Will be our first choice next time we visit New York..

Room Tip: Ask for higher level rooms to reduce street noise.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Llamasontheroad
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights in April. We really loved our stay here. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. We are observant (shomer shabbat) Jews and the hotel staff was very understanding of our needs.

The hotel has very good amenities - decent sized workout room, business center (not free), free wifi and other standard hotel stuff.

The best is the location and the value. We stayed on frequent flyer miles, so we actually didn't pay anything directly. The hotel is in the heart of Manhattan - Upper West Side. There's everything you need right around the corner including the subway. Rooms were nice, and much bigger than I thought they'd be. Furnishings were good. Bedrooms and bathrooms were clean.

Parking, of course, is problematic. They offer a discount at a garage nearby but with no in-out privileges. Cost is $35/day.

Negatives: Noise at night like horns and trash trucks (but what do you expect for being in the middle of NYC); drapes that didn't fully block out sunlight; parking rates; dogs are allowed (saw several but didn't hear them at night).

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 19, 2011

I have been traveling to NYC for years. And have stayed at more hotels then I can even remember but this one has topped them all. The price for NYC at double room for $286 was impressive. But the hotel was off the charts. This is an "old school" hotel. From the facade to the room...it reeks of the old days. But it as clean as could be and more than comfortable.

My room was a corner one on the 4th floor facing Amesterdam and 79th Street. For the person who mentioned the sounds of honking horns...I didn't hear a thing. But even if I did...it's a city! What would you expect. The room was luscious. Very well appointed from foyer (with wood floor) to the drapes and valances to the bed. The bed with matress and pillows you just sink into -- and that was a great thing. I also appreciated the CD player and the free WIFI both were used.

The location is great. I drove into the city. The valet parking was steep $54/nite...but with the subway on the corner. I took no cabs. Plus there's so much that you can walk too.

As you can tell I've got my new favorite hotel in Manhattan and already plotting my next trip back.

Room Tip: The Lucerne Hotel has a AAA discount program.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo