“Yet another great cosy and villagey restaurant in New York”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Commerce - CLOSED

Commerce
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: West Village
Cross street: Barrow Street
Transit: A, B, C, D, E & F trains to West 4th Street and 1 train to Christopher Street.
Description: The building at 50 Commerce pulses with history. Depression-era revelers snuck in it when it was a speakeasy. As the Blue Mill Tavern, it saw 50 years of change. And as Grange Hall, it captured the heart of Greenwich Village as a beloved gathering place.Now, as Commerce, a restaurant serving fine food prepared by chef Harold Moore, the building welcomes a slew of modern visitors seeking a warm place to share a meal and a sense of community. Owned by reputable restauranteur Tony Zazula and noted Chef Harold Moore, Commerce is homage to old New York, celebrating a city where history and contemporary sensibilities collide on every corner.
Meopham, Kent
“Yet another great cosy and villagey restaurant in New York”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

We had excellent recommendations by our daughters friend who is a real foodie and has lists ofplaces to it in Countries she hasn't even visited yet.

All of her recommendations were busy and popular and yer in "out of the way" places.

This one was in West Village. Even our cab driver didn't know where it was! But when we arrived it was absolutely heaving.

I was a little disappointed with my truffles egg starter but that was probably because the White was very runny and I'm not good with runny egg.

I had been recommended the main course of short rib filled ravioli. The friend who recommendedtherestaurant, baked breadforthe baker who supplies rolls to Commerce and what delight they were.

The other recommendarion was the Coconut cakewhich was enormous! We had to share it between 3 of us.

The buzzy atmosphere was great.

• Visited November 2012

Portland, Oregon
“Appealing Food, Location & Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Take time to walk around the area and enjoy the quiet village feel of the neighborhood--very surprising in NYC! We loved the food, but less adventuresome people might find the menu options a bit limited. Our waiter gave us excellent menu suggestions. The only drawback was a mix-up with our wine bottle and another table's matching bottle. Ask to keep your bottle on your own table! The exterior signage is not very good on a dark evening; it is just around a sort of courtyard from a theater, if you have trouble finding it.

Visited November 2012
“Left my heart in a Greenwich Eatery...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

...Her name was Diane. Steak Diane!
Wow, what can I say?
First the fresh home baked bread rolls had me on my knees, then the 20 leaf salad was as fresh as if I'd just picked it out of my own veggie patch. But if I had the linguistic skills to describe how delicious the main course was, then I would share it here for you all to read. My wife is a vegetarian, and said the flavours were some of the best she had tasted.
Outstanding service. A lovely feel to the room, set in a part of NYC we would never have found without our hotel concierge (Brandon @ Sanctuary)
This made our trip very special, as it was my wife's *0th Birthday present. It was at the top of our budget but worth every cent. But then I did go for the most expensive dish!
Thanks to all the staff

London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food in understated decor. Buzzing bar. Top service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Loved this find in the West Village. Very New York. Buzzing. Went on saturday 28 October and it was packed with people and the food quality and sevice was outstanding. The venison was the best any of our group had eaten anywhere. Everyone of us tried all the dishes and we all wanted each one!
Crowd was late 20s- early 40s - mostly younger end. You will need to book. Open table reservation was all logged in when we got there.
Only downsides were how noisy it was in bar area as this is a small place - so ask for table away from the bar area, and the fact that because they do two seatinsg our 9 pm booking saw us sit down to our table at 10.15.
Will definitely make a booking to go back soon.

• Visited October 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great food, service and energy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I went on our anniversary and was so good a few weeks later when in town organized a business dinner for Commerce. The place has an excellent energy, very New York. Also, the staff looks like they really enjoy working their and take pride in the place which results in outstanding service. They all know the menu and have a team approach to service so every server is willing to help any table. On top of all that the food is excellent. The fresh pastas are outstanding. The first time I had the roast duck which was great. Good at recommending and matching wine at price point you suggest (not trying to sell you up). You walk in and feels like your neighborhood restaurant (even if you are from away) but with world class quality. But beware, it is a bit hard to find with a standard hotel map.