“Special night”

Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We went here our first night in New York. My grandchild had been saving $$ to buy a doll but our flight was delayed and we barely made out dinner reservation (5:30) The food was amazingly good and we were starving. I was surprised that the dining room was not full and that there were so many birthday celebrations. With a little help from our server, we made it downstairs in time to purchase her doll before the 7:00 closing. Great fun for a little girl

There are newer reviews for American Girl Place Cafe

Reviewed July 5, 2013

both doll and graddaugther had a great time. Service was great, was very kid friendly and food good. was a litte pricie so its something we will do only on speical times coupons would make it easier to go more offen

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had lunch for our daughter's 6th birthday last year and she's already asked for the same celebration this year! Luckily, we left her brothers at home as there wasn't one boy in the entire restaurant.
This entire experience is decadent! The atmosphere is incredibly posh, with black and white walls and pink accents everywhere. The menus are bound with an adorable pink hair tie that my daughter still adores. The menu is perfectly kid friendly and changes by the season. Check the website for a sample menu.....http://www.americangirl.com/stores/location_ny.php
The meal starts and ends on a sweet note with cinnamon buns and fruit as your first course. After your entree, dessert comes in a small flower pot with a silk daisy inside. Even our daughter's doll was given her own high chair to sit and enjoy the meal. If your daughter loves all things AG, this will be an experience she will never forget.
Be sure to make a salon appointment, if your doll is in need of some TLC. Our daughter chose to have her doll's ears pierced and thoroughly enjoyed watching the doll's hair styled, something it desperately needed after many hours of play. There is even a hospital, in case your doll is in need of some real repair.
After dining and primping, the shop is filled with floor after floor of every AG accessory you could ever dream of finding. Be sure to leave plenty of time. You could, quite literally, be here all day! After you've had your fill of all things AG, You'll want to explore some of the many sites NY has to offer! You're a short stroll from St. Patrick's Cathedral, Saks Fifth Avenue, The Top of the Rock, Rockefeller Center and so much more!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Let me first say that last year we went to the cafe in Chicago and it was soooo nice!! This year since we were going to see Annie, I decided to book a reservation at the New York location.

This experience was just average. Don't get the kids spaghetti....the meatballs are hard like spaghettios. And the dessert, although the same items as Chicago, wasn't presented well. My flowerpot wasn't even full.

I say, do it once...just for the experience.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I left this same review for the store site review, because I didn't realize there were two different sites to do that. So this is a repeat.
My dil and I went with my 7 yr old granddaughter yesterday. Forget that it was scorching hot outside! The air conditioning was wonderful so we were in no hurry to leave.
We had an 11AM lunch reservation. The dining room is on the 3rd floor. Yeah, 3 floors of nothing but A.G.!
The dining room was filled with "oohs" and "ahhs" as we walked in. The décor is so fitting. It has a black and white color scheme. There are tables and large booths. The dining chairs are upholstered and seem to be scaled to child size, though adults sit in them, too. It almost reminded me of high tea at Harrod's in London! Well, I'm exaggerating.
The waiter attached a little seat to the table so that Marie-Grace the doll could sit next to her owner, who is named Grace Marie! She even had a little cup and plate. (Though you couldn't keep it, we asked!) They do let you have the hairbands that serve as napkin holders.
The menu and table setting was perfectly adorable. However,
do not go for the food! It cost my d.i.l. $24.00 pp plus tax and tip. I've had better food in a diner. Starters were small cinnamon rolls. They tasted a day old. Next course was assorted hors d'ourves. Carrots, celery, soft pretzel bread, cukes & tomato on a skewer, bite size chicken salad tarts, plus two dipping sauces. Pretty good. The entrees we chose were Bitty Bites for my g-daughter (tiny hot dog in bun and a tiny hamburger on bun that was cooked to death and mac and cheese that looked GREAT but was tasteless! Also a tiny cup of cubed fruit. I had a grilled veggie sandwich on sourdough bread with a side of spring mix. The sandwich was described as if it would be loaded with portabellas, peppers, zucchini, etc with melted provolone. It came looking like a grilled cheese. I thought they made a mistake. When I looked inside there were 2 paper thin slices of yellow summer squash and a crescent of portabello that was so small I didn't see it at first! My d.i.l. had the quiche with spring mix on the side. She said the quiche was very soft and light. It was cooked enough, but it was really soft. I imagine it had a lot of milk or something to make it like that. I saw a girl having the Tic Tac Toe pizza and it looked exactly like a frozen pizza. The best part of the meal was the dessert. No choices on that, but we got delicious choc. mousse in a tiny glass flower pot with silk flower stuck in it that you could keep. On the side was a heart shaped piece of vanilla cake with terribly sweet icing. Also a skewer of fresh fruit. Our drinks were included, iced tea and a lemonade. If you want soda or alcohol or a Shirley Temple, there is an extra charge. The staff couldn't have been nicer and more efficient. They did tend to keep things moving rather quickly because there was another seating at 12:30. They must figure you have about an hour for lunch. It was fun looking out over all the tables and seeing so many A.G. dolls with their hair sticking out sitting next to the girls. It appeared that if you didn't bring a doll you could borrow one from a large shelf to join you for lunch. There were only one or two boys in the room and a few dads and a couple grandpas. Hey, this is all about the GIRLS!