“A magical experience for little girls (and Mum!)”

American Girl Place Cafe
Ranked #2,578 of 14,008 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I dined here with our two young daughters and my father on a recent trip to New York. It was a satisfying finale to to a thrilling shopping expedition to American Girl Place. For adults, go with an open heart and expect to be transported back to childhood. The experience is not about the food (which is quite mediocre, but offers fun and varied choices for young children), but about the sheer pleasure for little girls of dining with their dolls in a delightful and pretty environment. My sister and I would have LOVED this as children, as my girls certainly did (naming this the highlight of a two week trip). The staff do an excellent job of making the occasion feel special. The dolls are seated in their own chairs at places set with tiny cups and saucers. In a roomful of excited little girls and their dolls (all apparently having a wonderful time), we felt like we were at a tea party on a grand scale. Dining here also solved the problem for one night of our two week trip to New York of finding child friendly places to eat.

There is a nice selection of beverages, including wine and beer for grown ups, which my father was pleasantly surprised by.

Highly recommended!

Reviewed October 18, 2012

As long as you realize that this is a tourist-trap experience, you will not be disappointed. The restaurant is very cute and the girls enjoy bringing their dolls, but you will easily spend over $100 for a family of 4 for a meal that tastes like poor-quality, microwaved fare. The first time I took my oldest daughter, we loved the decor and were blown away by it all (even then the food was not good). This time, I took my twin 8-year-old daughters and they were disappointed that they couldn't get more for their money (they each had $50 to spend), so they opted not to buy anything. And they did not eat the food. I ate my meal (chicken salad) but did not enjoy it. In retrospect, I would give them money to buy something special and skip the cafe.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had a Saturday brunch reservation, and loved every minute of it. The food is good, but not great. But the experience of this cafe well makes up for the food. Be sure to make a res, because most dining times fill quickly, and the seating times are very specific. We were seated immediately, and had the best service ever. They make the child feel so very special, and if the girl doesn't have an American Girl doll, she can borrow one to eat with her. The staff is more than happy to take photos. We had a great time, and it was money well spent. They put the dolls in a special chair right at the table with the girl. It is fun seeing all of the dolls at the other tables.

1  Thank buckeyetraveler75
Reviewed October 14, 2012

First time to AG and had lunch in the Cafe today. The waiting area in the bitty baby room was like waiting on line for tickets at a carnival. We were then seated and enjoyed service from a very pleasant girl. The food was a true disappointment. It was very small portions, low low quality and not at proper temperatures. The chicken sandwich had a tiny piece of chicken on it, fries were cold. cinnamon bun to start out was tiny, hot pretzel was the size of a munchkin and hard and cold. For 2 adults and one child it was $140.00 without alcohol. The anticpated experience was a let down. American Girl over rates the Cafe as well as over charges.

1  Thank Jennifer H
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Over-the-top-experience, unique cute factor, mediocre food, and indifferent service equal this tourist attraction.

There are specific seating times. We went at 2:30. With slow eating kids, we felt rushed because there is another seating at 4:00PM. I recommend the 11:30 seating time. Reservation is also a good idea.

If you're celebrating a birthday, the staff might recommend the birthday package. The price for the kid jumps from $24 to $37 and what you get is a small cake, small scoop of ice cream for everyone, and a party favor. I'd say skip the birthday package and do your cake somewhere else.

This place is worth going once. I doubt we spend the money going back.