“Unstructured Prix Fixe Meal”
Review of Bocca di Bacco

Bocca di Bacco
Reserve with OpenTable
Bocca di Bacco is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #315 of 14,144 Restaurants in New York City
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: Between 54th and 55th Avenues
Transit: E train to 42nd street
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We had reservations for our New Year's Eve dinner at Bocca di Bacco for at least a month and a half. Our reservation was at 11pm. Our goal was to be done with our meal and having dessert and drinks at the stroke of midnight.

When we arrived, we all knew what we wanted from the Prix Fixe special New Years Eve menu. We waited for 20 minutes after we arrived at 11pm on the nose. The bartender tried to make it up to us by serving a round of champagne to our party. Shortly after we were seated.

When the waiter came to the table, the first thing he stated was that they no longer had the Filet Mignon item from the menu. Huge problem because it was one of four choices. The wait staff was harried and disorganized.

We all ordered from the 3 remaining items on the menu. The steak was the choice of over half the people at the table. It became a huge issue, but again, we let is slide.

Our first and second course was served without a hitch.
After we all ate our entree, the waiter came back to take our dessert order. They had 3 items on the menu for dessert. None of those items were available. So, we were offered Tiramisu. Some members of the party had an issue with Tiramisu and was offered Cheesecake begrudgingly.

2 of the 4 course Prix Fixe menu was not available.
I want to give Bocca di Bacco the benefit of the doubt, but we paid $150 for two members of our party to eat. That means, that at our table, we spent nearly $1000 dollars. The service and food was worth a fraction of that.

I will not give them a second chance.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

Awesome Service , food and menu

This is a 5* typic italian restaurant

The wine selection is amazing.

I was very impressed by the sélections of grappa and desert.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Starting with a phone call for a reservation, I was instructed to call back in 5 minutes. Upon arrival we were seated at a table in the entrance area, we received a cold draft cold each time the door opened. The music and ambiance was quite loud, we asked the manager if he could possible lower the music volume and he said "NO". We ordered two fish dishes both medium, the Salmon was virtually raw and the Swordfish has a fishy odor, fresh fish should never smell,.Two pasta dishes were floating in oil, again never acceptable in a good restaurant.Upon our exit I told the "Manager",( I'm being generous), the food was not up to par, he told me he did not like the way I spoke to him, I said I would never return, he told me good please do not at which point pushed his chest against me. At a price/satisfaction rating I would bury this restaurant and the attitude.

2  Thank PhotoFool123
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We just enjoyed a great brunch yesterday at Bocca di Bacco, 54/55th St location. Our group consisted of 1 married couple with a baby in stroller, + 4 friends. I want to start by saying that as per the review title, their bottomless screwdriver/mimosa/bloody-mary brunch is a true value! At $18, which is less than the price of two drinks, the price point is such that its somewhat irresistible (i.e., cheaper than ordering 2 drinks outside of the offer).
A word about the drinks: they are real. I was having screwdrivers that were EXTREMELY strong, the waiter was replacing them without being prompted, and by the time brunch was done I finished 4 (or maybe 5?!). All that, and the check per person came to $30 + tip. The service was awesome, waiters constantly filling water, friendly about taking our photo. Also, some Yelp reviewers said the music was too loud, and I was concerned about that because of the baby in our party. Maybe the afternoon started slowly due to the snow the prior day, but we found the music *good* and lively, but not too loud. A couple of other parties included kids.
Only negative was that one order out of six came out much later than the others. Which was kind of frustrating because 1) it was for a visitor from Atlanta who had the same experience at brunch the day before and 2) the order was for French Toast, which doesn't seem like it should take so long. That said, when the french toast did come, it was delicous, not the standard fake "challah" french toast some places serve, but rather a very tasty, indulgent dish.
Brunch with friends? Come to this place!!

Reviewed December 14, 2013

I tried this new local restaurant out last night and I must say I was disappointed. Our appetizer was a cheese plate which consisted of Supermarket grade cheese, when I asked for crackers the rude waiter snapped and blurted "no crackers here". For $17 I would hope they could supply a few crackers. The Martini was well made, the lamb OK with what seemed like boxed mashed potatoes. My partner had the pasta with lamb, a few tiny pieces of veal. I would have given a better review if the service was not so snotty. A very rude upity waiter, I tipped him well, I should have not. I would not recommend this place. Too bad, we need a good Italian restaurant in West Chelsea.

2  Thank runningtiger33