“Loved It!”
Review of Dovetail

Dovetail
Reserve with OpenTable
Dovetail is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #399 of 14,527 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: American, French, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
Cross street: Columbus Avenue
Transit: B & C trains to 81st Street and 1 train to 79th Street.
Description: Dovetail is a Michelin-starred restaurant operated by chef and proprietor John Fraser. Serving contemporary American fare through various prix fixe menus and located on Manhattan's Upper West Side, Dovetail received three stars from The New York Times as well as its first Michelin star in the 2011 New York Guide. Recently, Dovetail was recognized by The World of Fine Wine and given three out of three stars at the World's Best Wine List 2015.
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were looking for a nice restaurant close to Lincoln Center that wouldn’t be too expensive. This place was pricey but had a special Mon nite vegetarian-focused fixed price 4 course menu for only $46/person.
Service was formal but very welcoming and very accommodating. We told them we needed to be out in 1.5 hrs and they got us out right on the dot.
Food was amazing! The special menu allowed one to choose either a vegetarian or the “vegetarian focused” menu (meaning it included a little meat). We both chose the later.
They change the menu monthly so I won’t bother describing each course. But each was a marvelous combo of flavors that were distinct yet blended wonderfully. Servings were relatively small but just right for our tastes and since there were 4 courses it was more than enough food. It was one of the most enjoyable meals we’ve had in a long time and we will definitely go back.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This West Side restaurant is quite beautiful, in a handsome brownstone which makes it a very romantic setting. The main room is well designed with great lighting. Unfortunately the food does not quite live up to its décor. We were in a group of four and we all had the tasting menu, which wasn´t memorable. Found the staff a little too uptight and formal, I wish the food was as good as the staff presents or imagines it to be.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I went here with my sisters during our visit to New York and choose this place as we fancied doing brunch in a nice setting. We were slightly off put on entering by the smell of drains, but once you moved beyond the entrance area, all was fine. For me, I thought this was a well priced brunch as you get to sample some nice little starters, you select a main which seems to cover all bases, followed by a small sampler of deserts. Unfortunately for us one of the maitre d's was having a bad day, as when he brought our drinks over, on removing one drink, the remaining drinks came tumbling down onto the table and as well as partly over two of my sisters. We were promptly moved and assured that drinks and brunch were covered. The food was good, but not outstanding, hence why I didn't rate it as very good, but it is reasonably priced given the amount you do get. We did get our drinks on the house as wells as a couple of sorbets/ice cream to make up for the mishap, so all in all, not bad for upper Manhattan.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

I was visiting friends and asked them to choose a restaurant where they had not yet dined. They chose Dovetail whose setting is typical of spaces adapted to serve multiple functions in an old building. Inside, you climb a few steps to reach the front desk; that is where the dining room and bar are. Downstairs is where the toilets and a banquet room are located.

I waited at the bar for my guests. It's a nice enough and quiet place. There two groups of men talked business and unwound after a day spent making money. Soon enough, when my guests arrived, we were immediately led to our table. As you might expect in a modern dining room for that kind of restaurant in NYC, there was plenty of fine wood all over, and the space looked like a small fortune had been spent to achieve that look.

The staff from the hosts at the front desk, to the bartender, to the waitress were excellent. Somebody obviously took the time to train them well, and it shows in the results as perceived by a diner.

My guests eschew swapping tastes from different dishes to taste as many different flavors and preparations as possible, and I was surprised and disappointed when I was informed that such was their preference. One of my guests chose a wine that he liked, and he chose well. It was not my dinner, but a dinner for my guests.

For my dinner, I chose Bay Scallops, Brussels sprouts, and duck breast. It was all tasty, not overcooked, but the one flaw in the menu is that it is subtle to a fault. I prefer intensity to subtlety: I liked the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's brass section under Georg Solti because they sounded as trumpets should, and I like food with intense flavors whether that may be herbs, spices, mushrooms, ferns, truffles, etc.

I didn't order a dessert from the menu and asked whether they had cheese. They did. I chose that for dessert.

Will I return? Yes, but because NYC has numerous restaurants and many of extremely high quality, it may be some time before I return.

Will I recommend it? Yes, with the warning that excessive subtlety is rampant.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was in NYC with a friend in February 2013. She is vegetarian and booked a table at Dovetail for their Monday night vegetarian tasting menu. I am not vegetarian and this was probably the best meal I have ever eaten. Best choice? Order the gnudi; they are little dollops of heaven.

The service was perfect -- servers were knowledgeable and friendly but never intrusive. I don't know very much about wine and felt a little intimidated, but the sommelier made me feel at ease and gave me tastings of two wines after explaining them each to me in a way that was easy to understand (not full of jargon).

We spoke afterwards with Heidi and told her how much we appreciated the service. It is rare to find a restaurant where the staff never intrude yet provide everything you need the second before you need it.

I highly recommend this restaurant.