“Hole in the wall with great food”
Review of Wild Edibles - CLOSED

Wild Edibles
Cuisines: Seafood
Neighborhood: Midtown
Neighborhood: Midtown
Reviewed February 22, 2013

If you didn't know about the quality of food served in this restaurant, you could very well just walk past and not give it a second glance. Apart from the wonderful, small, but fresh selection of seafood, which sells out very fast either as a home purchase or part of a diners choice for dinner.

Yes, it is limited in it's wine and beer choices, but the food preparation is wonderful. Try the Black Cod, cooked to perfection and melt in your mouth. Even the 'Fish and Chips' are a very pleasant surprise. Sides of roasted Brussel Sprouts are a must have, to their special rice which goes a treat with the fresh Salmon. No reservations as it is only a tiny restaurant so be prepared to wait a while as it will be worth it. All is freshly prepared, so again, no fast food track here.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Whoa, talk about a rich meal. And when I say rich, I mean buttery, creamy, clog your arteries and fill your belly kind of rich. And this was at a SEAFOOD spot!

So I had a super big cheeseburger for lunch to celebrate National Cheeseburger day and dinner I thought would be something lighter since I was going to a seafood spot. Boy, was I wrong!

The menu is a bit limited and forgetting the heaviness of my prior meal, I ordered the New England Clam Chowder for myself and the lobster mac and cheese for my friend and I to split. In no way was any of this the light meal I was planning on having after burger fest 2012.

The clam chowder unfortunately was a bit on the thin side. It had plenty of bacon but missed the nice chunks of potato and the thicker creaminess that I expect in a chowder. There was definitely a ton of butter and cream in that dish though and I almost wished it was a smaller portion since it was way too rich for one person to have for the size that was brought out. Definitely better for sharing with someone else.

The lobster mac and cheese was interesting. It was very heavy and rich and again something that should be shared. The reason that I say interesting is because it wasn't just chunks of lobster in mac and cheese but rather quite a fishy lobster-y flavor infused throughout. I couldn't decide if I enjoyed it or not, I have never had a mac and cheese quite like that.

Service was a bit flaky but as for my meal, I think I just ordered poorly. I would come back to try their Oyster Happy Hour if I was in the area, but not sure if I would have a full meal here again.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We went based on the Michelin Bib Gourmand list of good values under $40 per person. We started with Kumamoto oysters which were really fresh and delicious. The mignonette and cocktail sauce needed help, both were cloyingly sweet. Lacked the necessary acidity. Next was the Manhattan clam chowder, bland, rubbery clams that I could not break down after chewing for 5 minutes. They were nice enough however to split the bowl in the kitchen since my husband and I were sharing. Finally, we had the whole roasted striped bass with olive oil and herbs. Fish was definitely fresh, however, underseasoned and underwhelming. There are better choices out there.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

For a seafood lover this was a great find. I particularly recommend the Classic Mussels cooked with shallots, white wine and cream. Also the vast range of oysters were delicious. The staff were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Highly recommend!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

If I were a local, this is the oyster bar/seafood joint I would be frequenting.
It's very small, communal feeling (one row of eight or so tables side by side), no pretentious types trying to look cool at the latest popular restaurant, and the seafood is top quality and reasonably priced.