““Delightful and Cheery””

Ranked #119 of 479 Coffee & Tea in New York City
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This place has got a nice ambience which is essential for any coffee place. Its best to just sit and talk over a cup of coffee and the coffee itself is a great reason to be here. The aroma of coffee floating around the air in here is in itself very refreshing and appealing. I think anytime in West village this would be my place to hang out especially for their amazing baked products and the free wifi definitely helps to stay a little longer and maybe that is even the biggest problem of this place is too since it’s kind of crowded most of the time because of the free wifi freeloaders but in spite of that the coffee and the service is to irresistible.

There are newer reviews for Joe, the art of coffee

Reviewed November 11, 2013

There are plenty of Joes in NYC to leave you without an excuse to stop in. Great pour-overs, great Americanos. I have taken coffee training classes here and they really do love coffee.

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Being Italian we live
For a good coffee. Joe's did not disappoint. The lattes were perfect, beans obviously roasted to perfection. A true find in a city that makes a great coffee hard to find. Put this place into your maps.

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We stumbled across this looking for refuge on a raining NY day...what a great little place, nice ambiance and clientele, and of course the coffee was amazing - great tasting and smooth. Would recommend to any coffee lovers passing by.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Their customer service stinks.

Here's the thing. At home, I drink my coffee black. We buy decent beans, and grind them fresh each morning, and drip perfectly hot water through the freshly ground beans, into a thermal carafe, and usually, two cups of that magic is all I need for the rest of the day. What this means is that I only infrequently drink coffee out of the house. And for whatever reason, I almost never drink it black when I'm not home. It's just one of those things - if I don't know where the coffee came from, it needs milk.

There are delis all over New York. You go in, you ask for coffee/regular/no sugar, and you get a paper cup of coffee with milk in it. But, you go to some fancy place like Starbucks, and you ask for a cup of coffee, and they hand you a cup and expect you to put the milk in yourself. If you insist, the better establishments will bow to the gods of customer service and will, in fact, add the milk, so that I don't have to put all my bags down on the dirty floor, let go of my child's hand, wrench the lid off the top, locate the milk and unscrew its top, add milk (after spilling out some of the coffee), replace the lid, and gather up all my possessions.

The other day, I was in Grand Central, heading for the train, and the need for a cup of coffee and a cookie swayed me into Joe. The woman behind the counter gave me attitude when I asked for milk, but did it, grudgingly, and then had the temerity to hand me a cup without a lid. This is a take-out joint, in a commuter rail station! No lid? Oy. The lids were across the shop, with the milk, and of course, they were organized by ounces - and the first one I picked up was the wrong size. I ask you, how am I to know how many ounces are in the cup and therefore which lid might be right?

When I finally got on the train, peeved beyond a reasonable doubt, I fired off an irritated tweet. I was, of course, hoping it would fall on gracious customer-is-always-right ears, but no! Snark was returned, suggesting that one wouldn't expect waiters to put ketchup on your fries and dab your lips with a napkin?

Coffee with milk is in no way comparable to french fries with ketchup, and this attitude stands in complete opposition to their "dedicated to making flawless coffee served with warm hospitality" mission statement. There was no warm hospitality at all - either in the shop or on the Twitter.

I'm never going there again. Lord knows, a one person boycott isn't gonna do squat, but I can keep railing about it. Even if nothing happens, it makes me feel better.