“Dinner in the Village!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: West Village
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Whilst visiting New York City for the first time, on a Thomas Cook escorted tour of the USA and Canada, my wife and I visited Greenwich Village on a night tour. We did not have a lot of time to eat but found the Caliente Cab Co. My wife had been looking forward to having a Mexican meal whilst on the holiday but had not found any where on our journey. Here was the opportunity! And we were both glad we dined here. We were immediately seated and the drinks arrived soon after. As we had only an hour to dine we both ordered the enchaldas, mine was La Bandera. We ate outside watching village life going by and tourists taking their photos at the side of a 1950 Studebaker, from Mexico! Although we could not do justice to menu we did enjoy what we ate. The staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient. We would definitely go back on a future visit to New York. Well done the Caliente Cab Co. restaurant you have truly earned the award of TripAdvisor Certificate of excellence 2013! For those thinking of dining there, go! ¡Buen provecho

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have eaten at this place several times. We love it so much that it is a MUST EAT THERE every time I go to NYC, which is several times a year. The margaritas are great, the food is good and they have a dessert that is out of this world. It is their sopapillas.DELICIOUS!! The service is just OK but I do not care. I will continue to seek this place out.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

We had a group of 6 and weren't all planning on getting food. We were seated by a grumpy host who asked frequently if we were ALL going to order food. As if suggesting that if we weren't he would seat us by the bar or inside.

The waitress was really nice and friendly but she wasnt the most patient in terms of letting us decide with time our order. When you have a big group of chatty people, being interrupted every 10 minutes to see if we are okay can get annoying.

The food was good! The drinks as well, but they were sort of expensive considering the quality (and the fact that you can get cheaper and same quality food if you just go a bit further uptown).

Over all, I had a nice time but definitely wouldn't go back if I had the choice.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I haven't been to this restaurant for a few years but I still think about it when I think of my trip to NYC. We went in a few times in the early afternoon and contrary to a few reviews, we were made to feel very welcome, even though we were only have a coupld of Margaritas each.

We both had our Margaritas "on the rocks" (I find frozen margaritas less enjoyable) and I was a complete tourist, happy to pay extra for a larger drink in a souvenir glass (in retrospect, the larger drink may have been a mistake as, after a couple, we left happy and swining the bag with the glass in it...directly into the side of a trash can. Bye bye, souvenir glass!) At the time we went, they offered free chips and delicious salsa with each round of drinks, although from what I've read, this is no longer offered. Still, having looked at the menu recently, their prices still seem fantastic for New York.
I'm heading back to New York next year and will definitely stop in at Caliente. I hope it's as good as I've longingly remembered!

Reviewed August 20, 2013

The closest to Tex-Mex that we have found so far....good food, great atmosphere...Try the gucamole, you'd think you were in Texas!!!