New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“great location, youth-hostel quality” 4 of 5 stars
Review of West Side YMCA

West Side YMCA
Linz, Austria
“great location, youth-hostel quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Considering the low room rates and the great location near columbus circle and broadway/times square, it offers excellent value for money. The quality and size of the rooms as well as the hygiene leave space for improvement but overall I would definetly recommend the hostel if you are looking for a cheap accommodation to discover New York.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

We stayed a week at YMCA West Side and we loved it! We had a room for us, simple but clean, the toilets + showers were big and not crowded. Staff is young and friendly. It has a very nice coffeeshop with free wifi, "63bites" that serves homemade breakfast and sandwiches (guys are cool). The bonus of YMCA is definitely 1) the localization; on the corner of Central Park (morning run), 5mn to Columbus Circle where you can find a lovely Wholefood (large deli and supermarket perfect to grab something for dinner) and subway, 15 mn on foot to reach 5th Avenue, 2) The gym! Huge exercise facility with bodybuilding, cardio, swimming pools… we get there every day. Tip: book a Supershuttle (Airport Shuttle Service), about 30mn. Yes, I’m a Healthy YMCA Kid!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Whitehorse, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

I stayed here for two nights (July 16 and 17) and had a great experience. I was early (10am) but was still able to check in. From reading previous reviews I asked for a room on the 13th floor and was given a small, clean room with at tiny tv and (thank-god) air conditioning. From this location it was an easy walk to the subway which got me everywhere I wanted to go. At night it was quiet and I got a good sleep. I liked the restaurant at the entrance and had the best possible experience. Plus the wi-fi worked in my room which was a bonus.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Blackpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Myself and my teenage son had booked this place through our travel agent who said it was a good place to lay your head at night, because that was all we would probably be doing there. He was close to the truth !!!!!. The cleanliness was appalling with a dirty towel left lying on the landing for the whole of our 5 night stay, used toiletries left in the "shared" bathrooms even after so called cleaners had done there bit. The launderette advertised on the leaflets given to us on arrival was non-existent and the bedroom floors never saw the slightest glint of a mop head. If you want a cheap place and not bothered about the cleanliness then this is the place for you but not for me.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

90 dollars a night for a single room which looked more like a monk cell (but still with TV and air conditioning), well... I guess it's normal for NYC... But still...

The mattress was a nightmare, not comfortable at all. The corridors are very noisy every morning starting at 7.00AM. And for this price, you have to share a bathroom: only three showers per floor (for the men, and three others for women I suppose) and three toilets. That's not much considering there are dozens of rooms per floor... And it's not always as clean as you'd wish it was...

Apart from that, great looking building from the outside, and above all, great location: very near the Park, Columbus Circle, and within walking distance of many landmarks (Times Square, Lincoln Center, 5th Avenue...).

Good place for young people, and for a short stay... Otherwise, maybe consider other hostels...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
GALWAY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

I've stayed at the Westside YMCA before in 2008. Before my trip this year I read some of the more recent reviews on here and was a little concerned that I would be disappointed this time. I stayed there from June 11th for 10 nights.

I'm just going to address the issues that concerned me before my trip.

This time I stayed on the 12th floor. The bathrooms on this floor..I'm not sure of the number but there are at least 8 were very clean 95% of the time and a little dirty but not much the rest of the time. You have to remember you are sharing a bathroom so everyone is relying on the person before them. The cleaning lady was there every morning, is a nice lady and always greeted me with a smile and a friendly hello.

The security guards were pleasant and certainly were not rude. I guess you have to remember they are dealing with an enormous amount of traffic as its a busy place. So they hold a position of responsiblity.. if my room was broken into...well were would I be going to ask how someone could have got by them and done this...right. Every time you go by them you must show your card. I'm sure they knew me by the end of the 10 days but I still showed the card anyhow.

The only suggestion I would make for the YMCA this time is they really could do something with the canteen just beside reception. I only ate there once and thought it was a little expensive. I noticed it was invariably empty. Its in a great location there and could be a little goldmine.

Greetings from Ireland.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank TODIEFOR
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

We are a family of 5. Finding a place we could afford in NY was not easy! The cheapest hotels were $400+ a night and we got a room at the West Side Y for $200.

The location is supurb, very handy to the Subway, Whole Foods and Central Park. We found a cafe around the corner to get breakfast at every morning and ate it in the park watching the world go by.

The room was very large. It had 3 sets of bunk beds with good quality, comfortable mattresses and pillows. There was a desk with a TV and lots of room to put suitcases etc. There was a wardrobe and set of shelves and a heating/air conditioning unit that was adjustable.

The bathrooms were very busy, and we had to wait sometimes, they were also not particularly clean because of the volume of traffic. Not bad, but lots of water on the floor. Nothing a pair of flip flops won't cope with.

The staff were mostly friendly, the security staff were a bit gruff. We found our way down to the swimming pool, and the children had a nice swim. One tip is that they will not let you in the pool without a swim cap and the ones they have there were quite expensive, so take your own. They were a bit funny about children in certain areas of the changing room, I got yelled at for changing my daughter in the wrong area of the female change rooms and the woman was not very helpful with where I should be, but the lifeguards were very friendly and nice.

I would totally recommend this to families, with such large rooms, comfortable beds and a supurb location, it's hard to beat. If we go back to NY we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family