West Side YMCA
Hotel Belleclaire(New York City)(Great Value!)
$149
  • Fitness center
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$145
$134
  • Room Service
The Watson Hotel(New York City)
$116
  • Pool
$437
$341
Marriott Hotels
  • Room Service
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square(New York City)(Great Value!)
$171
GardenInn.com
$369
$316
SmithHotels.com
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Times Square Manhattan(New York City)(Great Value!)
$115
$110
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
NYLO New York City(New York City)(Great Value!)
$265
$212
Hotels.com
  • Bar/Lounge
Park Central Hotel New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
$225
$123
Park Central
  • Fitness center
Blue Moon Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
$249
$80
  • Breakfast included
1,394 results
All reviewscolumbus circlelincoln centrekey cardview of central parktimes squarethree blockslocation is excellentsaunabroadway
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 2, 2006

My overall first impression of the West Side YMCA was quite good. Staff were friendly and helpful on check-in and allowed me into my room early as it was ready.

The room was clean and spacious with basic furniture – single bed, chest of drawers, dressing table, chair, walk-in closet and wall mirror. There was a TV, central heating & air conditioning unit. The AC was old and the controls were a bit difficult to move but it did work. The floor was covered in linoleum and the walls could have done with a lick of paint. The view from the window was poor as it looked out onto the back of the building (a rooftop with lots of trash, though a staff member did clean this during my stay) – I guess you have a 50% chance of a street view.

The Level 5 male bathroom had three washbasins, two WC’s and one urinal. There was a communal shower area with two showers (I never had to share this with any other resident). Again this was cleaned daily. One of the residents messed the bathroom up by leaving wet newspapers on the floor on a daily basis. This was cleaned up by staff but was really irritating. When this happened I was able to use the Level 6 bathroom – this was a completely different layout to the Level 5 bathroom as it had three individual shower units.

There was a lounge area on the Level 6 hallway with four computers for internet access ($2 for 20 minutes), a couple of sofas, table and chairs.

The sports facilities were extensive – weights room, cardiovascular suite, basketball court, running track, swimming pool, sauna, steam room, etc. If you intend on using the facilities go prepared with a padlock for the locker and a swimming cap for the pool. The staff member I encountered here was extremely rude and unhelpful.

The whole building was clean but just felt like it could have done with being upgraded. However, it did represent value for money – you got what you paid for. And besides, you don’t go to New York to spend time in your hotel room!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank davidam19
Reviewed July 30, 2006

The hotel has an excellent location, closer to the Central Park, Broadway and some museum.
The room is clean but quite old, there is a small tv in the room (but I didn't go the to watch tv). It worth what I've paid to stay there. You cannot go there thinking that you'll find a luxury hotel.
The bathroom is clean too !
If you want a place to sleep and take a shower in NY for a lower price, YMCA is the best option.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank edubimonte
A TripAdvisor Member
boston, london
Reviewed June 17, 2006

The place exactly what you should expect from a YMCA. It was cleaned several times a day, vacuumed and the housekeeping people were very polite. Yes, the rooms were small, but what else do you need when sightseeing? There were sports facilities on site and the whole staff was very welcoming. For this price it was well worth the stay, considering that it was a 10-minute walk to times square. Each room had it's own air conditioning which allowed us to survive the blazing heat, and free local TV.
Of course it wasn't new, but it in good shape. All the people that say that it was 'dirty and dingy' are wrong. They don't know the difference between old and dirty. Oh yes, don't expect king size beds, just bunk beds, and no sink in the room. Why? Because this isn't a hotel! it's a very good, cheap and well-managed hostel.

• Stayed: June 2006
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 21, 2006

Great place and location!!

If you are looking for a comfortable place to stay, nice and friendly staff, this is your hostel!!

Food is great, we didn´t experience any noise at night. We got up very early in the morning and walked the city! gym is very well equiped and pools are clean and safe.

Members are friendly, location is perfect!

I totally recommend this place and will go back to new york soon!! what a great city!!

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank VictorDublin
A TripAdvisor Member
Texas
Reviewed May 21, 2006

I booked a room at the Westside YMCA online for a $72.00 room. I was supposed to get an e-mail confirmation but never did. I called before my trip and she gave me a confirmation # to give to the desk when I arrived.

When I arrived at the Y & paid for the room I noticed it was $88., not the price I thought it was. I asked about it saying maybe there was tax added or something and she said no. Since I didn't have the confirmation papers in hand I wasn't sure WHY it was more but intened to check on it when I got back home.

I did and sure enough the room I booked was $72.00 not the $88.00 room. I called YMCA and she basically told me, too bad, you accepted it at the time and didn't rectify it then. She was curt and not customer friendly at all.

I got to thinking...this sounds pretty tricky. Someone books a room for a certain amount and receives no e-mail confirmation, you check in w/o proof of what you booked and agree to it because you're not sure why it's more $... so the hotel gets that little extra amount x's how many hotel customers??? It can add up. Now I can't prove this is actually happening but I absolutely KNOW FOR SURE that I booked a $72.00 room and they sold me a different room.

I can't recommend the Westside YMCA because I feel they didn't treat me right when I asked about the descrepancy.

As far as the overall product...well, you get what you pay for and what you get is pretty shabby.

Stayed: May 2006