“Just a place to kick back”
Review of West Side YMCA

West Side YMCA
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

The hotel has a splendid location right by the park and is within short distance of the subway. The beds are comfortable and there are fitness and swimming possibilities... That being said the hotel is really just a place to kick back after a day in NY! The service isn't extraordinary and I wouldn't pick the hotel for any other reason than the obvious financial perk. The hotel has great wifi strong enough to maintain a Skype call. That is when the wifi is working of course...

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Adamino90

Reviewed March 28, 2014

When i arrived, I asked for a quiet room. Was put in one next to pump room, very noisy and hot. Next room was cold but i thought it would warm up when i turned the radistor on. WRONG!! Slept in very cold room and went to work. Came back from work at 7.15 pm. Asked to have both heat and tv fixed. At 8 pm still no-one came, so went to office again (since courtesy phone in hallway has no numbers listed to all & the info book in room also doesn't). Someone was supposed to come right away. As of 10.15pm no-one has come. The hallways have heat. Am i supposed to leave my door open to get warm?? I am very tired and wanted to take a shower but instead have been waiting for someone to show up. Room is very basic but ok, long walk to toilet/shower. People at front desk not very helpful. You definately get what you pay for- not much. Freezing cold in New York City.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank 14u
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

This place is dog crap. There was poo on the shower floor and my bed was damp with sweat and piss. Never go here its literally hell on earth. People were knocking on my door all night and there was maggots on the floor. GRIM.

• Stayed: March 2014
8  Thank tiopop
Reviewed March 7, 2014

If you're planning on seeing the as much of the city as possible and you only need a place to crash, this is perfect.

You're a short walk from central park, broadway and lots of shops and museums. So if you don't mind sharing a bathroom and sleeping on a bed which has wheels in a tiny room, this is the one!

Safe and friendly, I'm a 23 year old girl and i traveled alone, but i felt pretty at home at the YMCA.

Next time i stay in NY i think I want to stay further downtown and closer to the East Village as this seems to be where most of the people my age hung out, plus there were less tourists there making it feel a little more like authentic New York. However with this Hostel you're close to Columbus Circle which is a great connection on the Subway, which is a cheap and easy way to get around!

I'd definitely recommend this to a first timer in New York, if you're traveling alone or with a small group.

Room Tip: Take an extra pillow and maybe your own towel
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
4  Thank Hayley T
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Firstly, it was in a good location close to a subway. However I would never ever stay here again and i would highly recommend avoiding this place like the plague! I understand you have to share the shower and toilets and that would be okay if they were clean, there was all sorts of unmentionables on the floor e.g blood, and the showers were freezing half the week I was there. The rooms were tiny and the beds awkward and horrible. The bunk bed in the rooms is on wheels and has no ladder so it is a nightmare to get up there, an effort every night that is actually very dangerous. The mini place to get food is reasonable but with hardly any choice. The worst of all, is the disregard the people had for your personal things. The cleaners took a very important and sentimental toy from my bed and lost it in the laundry, I was distraught and brought it up with the desk all I got was laughter in my face. The next day when people finally took me seriously some staff were very nice to me and tried to retrieve my lost toy, but no such luck. Completely ruined my trip as it meant so much to me and I saw staff laughing at me behind my back. DO NOT GO HERE. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Mia959
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I brought a college trip here and I had told the students it would be basic. There is basic and there is inhabitable. This place verges on the latter, it ought to be condemned. The receptionist was deplorable and I can honestly say I have NEVER been treated in such an offensive manner in all my life, for a country that prides itself on customer service this trip contradicted that in so many ways but the epitome was this hostel. I can't even waste any more time on this but I would never recommend it to anyone. Appalling

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Dawn V
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for almost one week in august 2013. I was there with friends, and one of them had bugs on her bed. They changed her room 4 times before finding a new room without any bugs!!! Also, there was like 10 showers for one entire floor, and we could use only 5 of them (the other were broken or the bathroom door didn't close). There was also a hole in the the door. And during the night it was soooo hot! No AC! And also the light in our room turned on by itself during night.

In despite of this, the location of the hotel is really nice, 5 minutes to Central park, and maybe 20 minutes to times square!!! Really nice!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business