“View of Central Park...sort of”
Review of West Side YMCA

West Side YMCA
Reviewed August 12, 2008

Amazing location!! Steps away from Central Park, blocks from Lincoln Center, plenty of shops and restaurants a short walk up Columbus. Food Emporium and Whole Foods are in walking distance as well.

Single room was small, clean, with ac, tv and plenty of storage space. Pillow was lumpy. Rooms near shared bathrooms are a little noisy; some of the bathroom doors slam shut.

The number of guests using the bathrooms meant some of them were pretty disgusting by late night or morning. Best to use them early afternoon if you're around.

A good place for a solo traveller on a budget.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for West Side YMCA

Reviewed August 10, 2008

We stayed at this facility one year ago, and had a pleasant stay consistent with what we expected from a facility one step above a hostel. Cheap, but clean. Basic amenities with bathroom down hall for about 45 bucks per night per person. Food was available down on the ground floor at decent rates.

Flash forward to this year. Apparently the facility was under new or different management. Our rooms were just basically filthy, with burned out light bulbs, an unusable television, a dirty floor, and a dead rat in the bathroom. No hooks or racks for clothing, really disgusting. I started using the bathroom in the lobby, as did my daughter.

Also, the food prices had more than doubled. $3.50 for a bowl of dry cereal. Later we were told we were on the least desirable floor, the 11th.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank Tessx
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Booked the West Side YMCA through STA travel looking for a cheap place in late November - which of course is NYC high season. Location was critical for me and the price. This location is fantastic for anything midtown and it's easy to get to places anywhere in Manhattan.

I booked a single room with shared bathroom - I wasn't expecting much and I think that if you have that attitude it'll be fine. If you expect even the "comfort" of a Best Western you'll probably be disappointed.

Service at the counter was ok, reasonably efficient. It was fairly noisy - I didn't get the upgraded rooms that they have that are supposedly quieter - but since I didn't spend much time in the room, it was fine.

It's very popular with backpackers (obviously) so there can be queues for the internet (which isn't cheap) - and when I was there, some terminals didn't accept cash - luckily I had a credit card handy.

If location is your thing or you're there for not that long, then this place is ok.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo
2  Thank JClasstraveller
Reviewed July 31, 2008

I stayed at the West Side YMCA for two nights on one of their non-refurbished floors. The location is excellent and comes at a fair value, while there are a few issues that you might want to consider, particularly when travelling on a budget and aiming for the lower-end bunk bed rooms.

The room I shared with my friend was very small but functional and was cleaned every day. We stayed away from the elevator in a relatively quiet area. The corridors on our floor were dark and a little smelly.

Men's shared bathrooms on my floor were a mess - very dirty with an obtrusive smell of urine, as if they hadn't been properly cleaned for weeks. Women's shared bathrooms came with a key code lock, which is great per se, but says much more about security at this place. There where weird, scruffy men hanging around the bathroom every time I got in. And you wouldn't want to use those bathrooms without wearing sandals, possibly even for showering.

Cleaning staff "lost" some of my clothes and not so valuable accessories, which I had kept on the bed. Nothing else was touched, though. Still, they didn't find anything after I called them up to have them look for my belongings.

If you have any valuables with you, keep them on you at all times. There are no safes in the rooms, while you may store your luggage at the reception, which I gladly took advantage of. However, upon my return, I was asked to please go and get my luggage on my own, without anyone caring about what I picked up from the baggage room.

On a personal note, if I ever were to come back to this place, I would choose it for its great location, while I would go for one of the refurbished floors, and only if I could not find anywhere else to stay.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Roburt
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Had a good stay here for 3 nights. Our room was clean and quiet, and the hostel is in an excellent location. Feels very safe all day - we walked for 45 minutes from downtown to the hostel at midnight and it was absolutely fine.

The only negative point were the staff. We dealt with 3 staff members over the course of our stay, and all 3 came across as quite rude. Maybe it's just the New York way, but we weren't impressed.

Would stay again though, as everything else was great.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tentotheminus9
Reviewed July 6, 2008

Very satisfied with our stay. Perfect for our weekend low-budget trip. Location is excellent, close to midtown attractions, only a short walk to the subway. Felt safe 100% of the time.

Stayed in a double room, shared bathroom. Room (with bunkbeds) was clean and comfortable. Bathrooms were okay, a bit funky...definitely bring flip-flops or sandals for showers and such.

Would recommend to my friends.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank CAinDCTraveller
Reviewed July 4, 2008

As far as the front desk goes, I think it's hit or miss. One of the women sitting there was very friendly while the other, the one I checked-in with, was short and tempermental with us. My cousin and I went to NYC over my birthday, I was 16-17 at the time and she was 20. This place wasn't the Waldorf, but we didn't expect it to be, for the price it's a valuable gem to NYC. We went to see Broadway shows and the hotel was rougly 15 blocks from the theatre district, not a bad location at all.

The rooms are small but clean, I found a rather long hair on my pillow case but when I requested a new one from the cleaning staff they made no complaints. If you are going to NYC and think you'll be spending more that 2 hours in your hotel room per day (not including sleeping of course), I wouldn't stay at this hotel. But if you're a typical tourist and only return to your hotel to rest, it's great.

I wish I stayed a bit closer to Times Square, but that's personal preference, the location of the YMCA was great for the money and clean enough. The bathrooms are NOT semi-private, even though it claims so on their webpage. All of the bathrooms worked with my key, which I didn't view as a problem I'm just throwing it out there for you. The bathrooms were pretty clean however the shower ceiling could have done with some scrubbing.

OVERALL, a reasonable hotel, a reasonable price, a reasonable stay.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends