“Good location, service is good!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of West Side YMCA

West Side YMCA
Melbourne, Australia
“Good location, service is good!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

The location is excellent! And the price is pretty good - my friend and I spent around 300 dollars each for 5 nights. We stayed on the 9th floor.The rooms are extremely small (we shared a bunk bed) but the beds were comfy and the sheets and everything was clean - because they change them everyday as well as the towels. However, one day I got a dirty towel with a brown-ish stain on it. Disgusting - but luckily I brought my own towel just in case. But it's just a place to rest and sit until you want to go out into the city again! The bathrooms are okay. Shared bathrooms - pretty clean. Obviously wear shower shoes and bring something to hold your soap. Some of the cleaners need to be more clear when coming into the bathrooms. Once I was coming out of the shower (I was dressed) and one of the male cleaners just told me to get out - he pretty much yelled at me. But he didn't even ask if anyone was in the bathroom when he came in, he just came in and did his thing without checking. Besides that, a lot of the other stuff is very nice. They say hello to everyone with a smile on their face and the staff at the front desks are very helpful! They are always willing to help.

Theres a little cafe/shop there where you can buy food and drinks, and there is free wifi and a large tv down in the lounge. Nice atmosphere down there.

Room Tip: Get a room near the top - I heard they just renovated them and are a bit better.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Grace R, Guest Relations Manager at West Side YMCA, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review the West Side Y. We appreciate your input, and are glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay.

I apologize about your issue with the cleaning staff, as of last week we have restructured our housekeeping staff, and I anticipate this clearing up any issues our guests have had.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the other aspects of your stay including the other staff members, the cafe and the lounge.

Hopefully you make it back to NYC soon!

Grochford@ymcanyc.org

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

I only had 1 night in new York,and was alone so I needed my hotel to be central,budget-friendly and safe for a lone female,and this ticked all the boxes.Yes,it was basic,but that's what I paid for.The staff were lovely,I walked to Time Square at night,and in central park in the morning before catching my flight out-perfect!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Trudy S
Hi Trudy,

I just wanted to say thanks so much for your review. Glad that you enjoyed your stay and were able to get to see Times Square before leaving NYC!

If you come back to NYC we hope to see you again.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

When we booked I did not know what to expect and was ready for the worst. From the moment I stepped in the building I loved it!! the building is pretty inside and out. very clean and organized.
Employees are always attentive and always ask for your room key to be sure you're a guest.

Super well located!! you can easily get there from the airport, it's 2 blocks away from the Columbus Circle Stop. it's in walking distance of Time Square (15-20 min walk) we walked there every day, and in the way you find endless stores and restaurants.
It's also practically beside Central Park.

We had a private room with private bathroom.
The rooms have no luxuries but you have exactly what you need clean and neat. They provided towels and little soaps. Our room was the last on the 11th floor so we had a beautiful view.

We could have not asked anything better for the price!!! totally worth it and would definitely stay again!

If you have to wait to check in or already checked out you can leave your luggage in a secure area for $1

I was VERY well impressed!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Bel122
Hello,

Thanks so much for your kind words about your stay with us! We very much appreciate you taking the time to review our facilities.

We hope you stay with us again next time you visit NYC!

Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was by far the worst "hotel" i have ever stayed in. We stayed on the 13th floor which is said to be a new upgraded and renovated floor with private facilities and improved rooms with new furniture and features.

The hotel was horrible and dirty and the room was discussing, i had to buy cleaning products before i could sleep in there or even touch anything. When entering the hotel we went in to a small dirty lobby which was cold and dated. We went up in the elevator to the 13th floor and when the doors opened i felt a rush of hot stale air which was full of dust.

When we entered the room with the wireless key card we actually entered a prison cell, a small room with a bunk bed with a desk and 4 shelves. My first shock was the window! A moldy and damp window which was stuffed with black paper towels to keep out the rain and wind, a dirty conditioner was attached to the window which looked so dangerous with the exposed wiring.

The floor was covered in stains and marks and was full of dust, looked as if it had never been cleaned. The bed was a bunk bed on wheels which rolled around (when i say around i mean the 1ft of space available for it to do so) The bedding was dirty and stained, i went out an bought my own bedding.

There was also a small desk with a dead TV on it which was useless and in the way, under the desk there was an outlet which was loose and with wires exposed. The smoke detector in the room did not work when we went to test it. Another worry of ours was the security of the room! The lock was very basic and could easily be forced open, the door also rattled and the maid also entered when we clearly stated we needed no maid service.

Sleeping was also an issue, the bed rolled about in the night, we could here the lift as it was right outside of our room. you could here the air vents making noises and the pipes were making noises all the time. It was very hot at night even with the window open when it was the middle of winter with snow and was -16'C!

The private facilities were locked toilets which were dirty and stunk of damp water, i used bleach to clean the toilet, sink, taps and shower. I also purchased disinfectant spray to use on the floor and all over my room.

Room Tip: Select the 13th floor as the other rooms are said to be worse.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bettablue38
Grace R, Guest Relations Manager at West Side YMCA, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the West Side Y. I truly apologize for your experience, and am surprised at what the state of your room was like. Would you kindly email me the room number, so that I can go check on the issues you reported? You can reach me at Grochford@ymcanyc.org.

Again, so sorry that your experience was poor. We will work on correcting those issues.

Grace R.
Guest Relations Manager

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Location is great. The price is affordable. Staff is reliable. Neighborhood is safe even late at night.
Everything is within the walking distance and incredible enough one can buy tickets very cheap to NY ballet, MetOpera and symphony. This is great! Very thoutful about people with all the different budgets and in the spirit of Democracy.

Thanks much.
Oksana.

Room Tip: Depending on one's need the staff will accommodate and give professional advice. Trust them and...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Its right by CENTRAL PARK! Awesome location on the west side of Manhattan. Public transit is close, shopping, food, bars, and did I forget to mention you are right next door to Central Park...cant beat that! The room served it purposed but my main complaint are the showers. Some of the shower heads were just weird! Some were just straight down or the one I always ended up with just shot straight into the wall! Seriously straight into the wall so I had to literally stick my hands up so water can twinkle down on me lol. Yea super cray, cray ha ha

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JelliE_773
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Stayed 5 nights recently. Luckily I got a refurbished room, and was pleasntly surprised by the room. The room was quite fresh and very basic. Bed, cupboard, hanging space, desk, tv, lamp and air conditioner, all of which took up all of the powerpoints. I ended up buying a multiplug so I could have an outlet to charge my phone and ipad but still be able to use the lamp, tv and AC. The rooms were made up everyday with fresh linen too.
The wifi is only accessible on the ground floor and there are no kitchen facilities (not even a mini fridge to keep some basics in),
The bathrooms (looked nice and fresh with the refurb) the water pools all over the floor in the wash area and the taps at the basin are all on sensors shooting hot water out at high speed making it almost impractical to wash your hands without getting yourself wet and none of the soap dispensers worked either along with the power outlets in the bathroom.
When I needed to do some laundry I asked for directions and was sent on a wild goose chase to blocks which didn't have anything like that on there. After using google while walking around with my dirty laundry I finally found a laundry to do my washing in. If you want to do your own washing there is a great one at 102 West 71st. You can also leave your washing with them and pick it up later if you want too.
The staff could have been a little bit more friendlier or at least smile a bit more when approached with a question too.
One suggestion that could be handy would be a property information pack in the rooms about the facilities at the property, with things like times that services are available like the kiosk, lounge area, reception and the gym facilities (times and how to access it etc). Information on where to find services like laundry, pharmacy and convenience stores etc could be handy as well.
Overall my stay was pleasant and the location was great and convenient to get to everything

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo