“Excellent location!!”

West Side YMCA
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Excellent location!!”
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

If you're going to new York and plan on spending very little time in your room and more time out sightseeing, eating, drinking and pounding broadway then this is the place for you!!
The location is incredible!! Right on central park! I've stayed here twice and walked everywhere both times!
The rooms are very basic Abd there are shared bathrooms on the basic floors, but it's clean , safe, has a gym, pool and cafe and friendly reception staff! First time I went with a group of 40 students I was In charge of the entire group so safety was of the upmost importance especially as I just wanted to have a fab holiday with little worry or stress! It was so easy! I'd stay here everytime I visit NY !! There are premier rooms with private wash facilities on the upper floors if youre not looking for bunks , singles or shared bathrooms upgrade!! Definitely worth a visit!!

• Stayed September 2011
3 Thank KV76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed here end of June with my sister. It was a really good location... within walking distance to Central Park and most of the Broadway theatres. Rooms and bathrooms are reasonably clean. Only thing was someone tried to break into our room... nothing was stolen as we kept all valuables in the safe-deposit box provided downstairs. We did lodge a complaint with the security and nothing happened after that.

Room Tip: Didn't use room service or spa.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Karynn-YH-Tan
Taos, New Mexico
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This place is great. Clean and well maintained. Close to Central Park. Great friendly staff. Free Internet. If you don't mind the bath down the hall and the low price, then stay here. In the old days, the bathrooms were communal. No more. Private bath but not in your room. Great gym on the third floor with swimming pool and hot and dry sauna.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Sam H
Europe
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed for 8 nights in July 2012. I had a private room with a shared bath. The room was clean and quiet and I had a view of Central Park. there was a TV in my room. Where can you get that for about 100 USD in such a good location? They Y has a 65000 sq foot gym with amazing classes throughout the day with two swimming pools. The location is brilliant 1 min from central park and 2 mins from the lincoln center. It was perfect for what I wanted: a NY base. There are queues for the bathroom in the morning but the bathrooms are good quality. (good water pressure etc..) I also felt very safe staying here.

There is free wifi in the reception. The place does get full of student groups. The staff were excellent.

Downsides:- I did see a few cockroaches, but not in my room :-) The students can get a bit tiring. 8 nights was enough.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of CP. Ask for a room with a bathroom directly across the hall. (saves yo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kate787
Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My boyfriend booked a room for one night there and he thought we would have two beds so we could join it and sleep together :) however when we opened the door to our room I was shoked... It was extremly small and there was a bunk bed... Ac didn't want to change the tempurature and kept 73 F. The room... it looked very old with blue paint. They have a fridge which is good.... Next night we spent in a good hotel and I felt finally very happy to sleep in a nice place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Deventer, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We booked this hotel thrue a vacation agency. It is affordable and good situated. It offers a scale of sporting programs. The hotel has a nice old swimming pool and a coffee bar where you can have breakfast. The rooms are small, we had the shower and toilets in the hall. Nothing spoiled our good feeling about New York, I think this hotel fits in a city like this.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank PBraakman
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I've stayed at this Y on several occasions, and there is one main piece of advice I would give: Pay a few dollars extra and book a room on the 12th or 13th floors.
These rooms are still as small as the rooms on the lower floors, but these 2 floors were completely renovated a few years ago, and they are MUCH nicer than the rooms and washrooms on the lower floors. I paid $115 a night for a single room on the 13th floor.
Unlike the lower floors, where the washrooms are windowless, airless and always humid, these upper floors have a series of individual private bathrooms with shower along the hallway, and they have new tiles, fixtures etc. So you can go in and have the washroom and shower to yourself. I agree with other reviewers that the washrooms on the lower floors are BADLY in need of renovation. I stayed on the lower floors the first time I came here and hated the washrooms.
It's a shame the Y hasnt yet done the same thing on these lower floors to make the whole place nicer for everyone..
THe other option for anyone on a lower floor is to go down to the Y's great gym on floor 3 and use the showers down there...ONe of the advantages of staying here is that you have free access to the wonderful gym and pool facilities here, so I would always go down there and have a morning workout first thing in the morning anyway, use the cardio machines before heading out for the day. The staff there are very friendly and welcoming.
As I mentioned, the rooms on the top floor aren't any larger than the lower floors, but they feel fresher, with newer carpeting and new doors. My room was nicely cleaned each day with a fresh towel, and the window air conditioner worked fine...there were also roller blinds on the window to block out light in the morning.
Another tip: Bring some foam earplugs...I didnt need them this time, because it seemed it was mostly quiet guests on this floor on this trip, but I have been there before when there are student groups on the floor and they tend to bang their doors as they're all leaving at the same time...The window air conditioner helps to block that noise in the summer but in winter you really hear the hall noise..
But really, if you are on a budget and don't mind a tiny, dorm-room-sized room and just need a place to sleep, it's hard to get a better rate than $115 a night in NY.
As others have said, the location is superb,,not even half a block from central park on one side, near Lincoln Center on the other and a short walk to the subway that will take you quickly to TImes Square or south if you dont feel like walking...I walked home from theater every night and found it a nice walk.
UNlike others, I found the desk staff friendly and helpful when I checked in..They will also store your bags for you for $2 if you have to check out but dont have a flight until later in the day.
I was happy here and was able to spend the money I saved on theater and restaurants.
If you can't get a room on the upper two floors for when you're looking, I would probably recommend trying the vanderbilt y on 47th on the east side...It's been a few years since I stayed there but the communal washrooms were much cleaner and more pleasant there..they all had big windows for fresh air and were always clean when I used them.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a room on the top 2 floors. It's worth it. If these floors aren't...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo