“Hidden gem in a good part of the city”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Wales

Hotel Wales
Ranked #271 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Sydney, Australia
“Hidden gem in a good part of the city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2007

I was in New York on business and a friend in the hotel business recommended the Hotel Wales to me.

I didn't know anything about it before staying there but would definitely stay again.

The first thing I noticed was that even before I'd got out of my taxi someone from the hotel came out to meet me and help with my luggage. The guy on reception (can't remember his name) was efficient and friendly and before I knew it I was in a warm (this was the middle of Winter), very clean and well sized room.

For a NYC hotel the room size was pleasing, and my bathroom was pretty well sized as well.

The hotel is located a stones throw from Central Park and I enjoyed a nice walk (some people like a jog) around the reservoir before my meetings.

I'd definitely recommend this hotel to business travellers and holidaymakers alike. It's a great find if you're looking for a well located property with a personal customer service experiece that you just don't get in those large chains.

• Liked — Friendly personal service and good quality rooms
  • Disliked — I didn't get to spend enough time there!
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank stef49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Baltimore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2007

I'm writing this review from the room because I can't sleep. The room is too hot and it is impossible to turn off the radiator (the maintenance man said he did, but did not). Management states that they cannot turn off the boiler because other guests are complaining rooms are too cold. Bathroom is outdated and needs renovating. Room service and room itself are way too expensive. Sleep sofa is uncomfortable. All in all, if you absolutely must stay awake all night, this is the place to be!

• Liked — Location in quiet part of Manhattan
  • Disliked — The heat in the room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank SleeplessInNYC
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2007

We booked the Hotel wales based on the hotel style and location. For an expensive hotel the service is shocking and the "superior queen" sized rooms are tiny.
The breakfasts are very basic: bagels (with nothing but jam or butter to spread on them) muffins and fruit if you get down early enough. However the coffee is good and available free all day.
The hotel itself is beautiful which is a shame as the reception staff are the most unhelpful and uninformed that I have ever encountered.
On arrival we asked to change rooms as ours was tiny and badly laid out (as other reviews have mentioned) this was honoured reluctantly and it turned out all the rooms are very small. As Carlos explained "what do you expect in New York where space is at a premium"!!!!
On departure our credit card was declined and we were made to feel inferior because of this. Following a call to our credit card company the hotel had been taking funds on a nightly basis instead of "pre-authorising" and had charged us for 6 nights in total when we only stayed for 3.
We were not allowed to talk to the manager and receptionist was bordering on obnoxious and would not help until our credit card company advised him that this was fraud. Other customers were having the same problems as this so please beware.
I think Customer Service courses for all Reception staff would be in order however I would never return to this hotel.

• Liked — Hotel itself was beautiful, location is superb
  • Disliked — Unfriendly and unhelpful Reception staff
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Grimble73
Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2007

I booked a room at the Wales for a family vacation at the recommendation of a friend who said I'd like the location and the family-friendly attitude of the staff. While some aspects of the rooms were nice , altogether it was the worst hotel experience I've had in years. Our room on the first night was on the third floor, overlooking Madison Avenue. We were kept awake all night by street traffic. The internet access ($14/day) was spotty -- using the wireless signal from neighboring buildings ended up being more reliable. The valet parking ($47/day) was terrible -- it took us 50 minutes to reclaim our car with no explanation or apology. I can believe that some people (e.g., those who don't bring a car and have a room on an upper floor away from the street) have a perfectly reasonable stay -- I'd question though if anyone should take the risk.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room and service
  • Stayed February 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank partly_sunny